What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Obituary prices can vary based on what info and how many characters they are in the newspaper. I think there is a set amount for x fee and then its extra per character or line over that amount. At least that's how it was done locally when we had my dad's obituary-- which is no longer available online. It was supposed to be online permanently but they took it down at some point. I don't remember how much it was-- funeral home arranged it and we paid them. I wish I'd saved an archive copy of it or could find it on wayback machine thing.

Got up early, showered, went to doctor's office for blood drawing, waited in waiting room, got called into exam room and then was going to get blood drawn but the nurse didn't know what tests needed to be run and doctor wasn't there so they told me to just go to my next appointment in a week and have the doctor order blood tests then for before my next followup. The point of the next appointment was to check progress on my bloodwork but I hate needles so I didn't argue.

Finally got ahold of AC people. $400 to put coolant in the line. It's a new condenser unit so there is probably a leak in the line somewhere but I'm not sure how to find it. AC guy said something about dye in the coolant and using a black light to find it. Pretty sure I'll pick up a bunch of cat pee with black light too. But he said this would be yellow. Need to figure out where to even look for it. The coils had iced over apparently and it was dumping water out the condensate line when it thawed out.

Got some boric acid tablets and scattered them around the house to see if it will help with roaches. Will be doing some major cleaning once my head clears up. Bro is now motivated to help bc the roaches are pissing him off. Gonna try some other things too-- but main thing will be cleaning stuff up and getting rid of the trash and crud that has built up.

heard from my friend that court gave him custody of the 4-yr-old. He read court docs and saw that his ex's bf's family are throwing her under the bus and even lied in some of their statements. Said he could prove they were lying and he is trying to contact the case worker to let her know and show her the proof. There were no statements from the bf so he may have invoked the 5th.

Still hot here, but looking ahead, temps are dropping just a bit this weekend to the high 80's. That I can tolerate.
Starting husband's breakfast and farm chores in a minute. Little granddaughter left on the school bus. The pup is raring to be farm dog. Going to fill a cart at Aldi this afternoon. Also need to pick up our kitchen flooring from Home Depot and need to stop at Ollies for tarps. We'll see what I get done.

Got up, worked out, cleaned up, went to see a man about some gun safes, found out he may be the King of Survivalists in my area, we negotiated a trade then laid the groundwork for future bartering. Came home, talked to the lady, loaded more bullets into ammo cans / ammo boxes, and now I am just wasting time until I have to get ready for date night. Fortunately it's low key so I don't need to dress up.

This morning it was a crisp 40 degs. Got the water going in the orchard and gassed a couple more gopher holes. Had to order the roofing shingles yesterday. They should be in this Friday. The wire mesh that I ordered yesterday should be in by the 5th.
The wife is sick today. We had planned on taking my birthday Python out and do some shooting off the back deck. Maybe if she feels better later she can fire off a few rounds too.
I'm going to finish putting up the tar paper and the drip edges on the new coop today. Might repair the gate on the main coop later.

Cleaning house;
Clearing stuff out, I don't care where it goes.
But it isn't staying here.
Yep! Mo's on a tear,
Heads rolled, butts got chewed.
But I feel better,
Not sure about the other person's feelings this morning,
But pretty sure I don't care either.
"MEN"!
Idiots!
Just so you know it's not entirely dippy doo in Texas either.
My sons both of them, several nephews, a couple of nieces all caught heck that morning.
But Dippy Doo was included in the heads rolling and butt chewing.
But one closet is now empty of other peoples belongings, stuff.
But the bigger majority were male whom were chewed.
A couple of the sons, nephews had to bend over so I could box their ears.
Of course Estelle, Reign thought that was funny.

Had to make my water sampling rounds today. Saw quite a few trees and branches and wires down. My mom still doesn't have power. Friend stopped over to take some of the pears that are dropping off my trees, I don't have time to do anything with them.
Considering taking time off work tomorrow to work on the greenhouses. The temperature has moderated and if I wait till after work I'm too tired to get anything done.

I thought it was going to be in the low 90's today, but nope. About 100 this afternoon. Got all the kitchen flooring picked up from Home Depot, went into Ollies for new tarps for the winter for the fowl runs and also found a few other deals. Then on to Aldi to fill a cart. Little granddaughter came home from school perfect timing to unload all the purchases, then we backed the truck up to a garage and unloaded all the boxes of flooring. So now the flooring and our new windows for the garage and kitchen are in. The handyman is hoping to start soon, after Labor Day. The other materials he can pick up himself that he needs. Pup took off out the long driveway today when he caught wind of two bicyclists and followed for awhile. So husband just ordered a special vibrate, beep, shock collar for him. He also needs to stop chasing guineas.

Still hot here, but looking ahead, temps are dropping just a bit this weekend to the high 80's. That I can tolerate.
Starting husband's breakfast and farm chores in a minute. Little granddaughter left on the school bus. The pup is raring to be farm dog. Going to fill a cart at Aldi this afternoon. Also need to pick up our kitchen flooring from Home Depot and need to stop at Ollies for tarps. We'll see what I get done.
Ooh, out of curiosity, what flooring did you go with? We are trying to pick flooring for our kitchen and hallway (well, once we get both of them cleaned up)
Test results are in.
Cancer free for 6 months! 🍾
Excellent news! I hope it stays that way!
Paid off the last student loan this morning.
More excellent news! I bet that feels great to have that taken care of!

I am sleepy today. Slept so much better last night with AC working but also slept a lot today. I think from relief after the stress. Woke up to kitties piling on me. Biscuits and Gravy Jones immediately charged over to climb on my chest and rub their faces against mine. Then Aminatu squeezed in followed by Senator Snugglebum. Gravy and Biscuits ignored how much they hate Snugglebum and were even rubbing faces against him and all 4 of them were wanting head-kisses and face snuggles. Had 8 of the cats in my room. Boo came in and declared it was food-o'clock so I got up and fed them.

Been resting, watching some Youtube videos. I like XO stories and Stud Pack. Starting to watch Perkins Brothers after a collaboration they did with Stud Pack.

Also been trying to get to the mystery of what happened to friend's ex's baby- if the baby was abused or if it was some medical condition making bones weak and if its the former then who did it. I'm on the fence on it. Friend didn't want to think it was his ex and I didn't want to either, but she was abusive to my friend and to the first kid (not to bone breaking levels though) and lied about things in the past. She's ok when on her meds for bipolar disorder but her therapist said she is a danger to others when off her meds. She didn't take the meds while pregnant. It's a hot mess.

On the upside, Walmart had the pulled pork sammiches that Mom likes so I got her 4 of them. She ate one yesterday and two just now. Glad I found something she likes that is easy to re-heat. I'm about to get something to eat now bc thinking about food is making me hungry.

Driving the Bobcat to move the manure pile is hard. I gave up after 4 trips from the original pile to where it was going. I am not very good at moving the loader , was just very slow at it and ran out of patience. We can only use it 8 hours a day and have it for 2 days, so I quit and let son drive it. He is much better and faster at it
So this afternoon he got it stuck in the muck and it took a long time to get it out. A small pile is still left, but too much muck to get it out so it will just have to stay until it turns to compost

Just spent an hour looking for a replacement water coil for our wood stove , it's been in there for 8 years and very corroded ( sort of like the waterpipe....). I think I found one, just have to wait for tomorrow for the guy to give me the exact dimensions to make sure it fits. Anyone else on here have anything like that? It's a pipe that goes through the wood stove to the water heater tank to heat the water
I thought about it again since we got the chimney cleaned today ( do it every August so the house don't burn down ) and thought about that we need a valve to shut off the water supply to the stove if the water system fails ( or the water in the tank could create steam and blow up
All these problems ....don't' you just want to come live with us....LOL, most of you are probably thinking " you couldn't pay me to live like that" ....?

@Amish Heart our dog does pretty good with hand signal combined with voice command. I hope you can get him to listen.
I started with feeding time. Made her sit when I put the food down, then repeated firmly the commands, sit, stay, no (if necessary). With hand signals. When I think it’s a good time, 5 seconds to start, I then would say release and give a hand signal. Then she can eat.

High temp was 64 degs today. Just finished putting the tar paper and the drip edges on the new coop. I tried really hard to fall off the ladder, but I didn't.
Got the grill fired up. Going to grill some chicken breasts and corn on the cob.
Let me come help you I am a master of falling off ladders. Still waiting on MRI on lower back, X-Rays showed 3 to 4 disc that are bone on bone. I know falling off the ladder didn't cause all that but it damn sure didn't help anything.

Ooh, out of curiosity, what flooring did you go with? We are trying to pick flooring for our kitchen and hallway (well, once we get both of them cleaned up)

Excellent news! I hope it stays that way!

More excellent news! I bet that feels great to have that taken care of!

I am sleepy today. Slept so much better last night with AC working but also slept a lot today. I think from relief after the stress. Woke up to kitties piling on me. Biscuits and Gravy Jones immediately charged over to climb on my chest and rub their faces against mine. Then Aminatu squeezed in followed by Senator Snugglebum. Gravy and Biscuits ignored how much they hate Snugglebum and were even rubbing faces against him and all 4 of them were wanting head-kisses and face snuggles. Had 8 of the cats in my room. Boo came in and declared it was food-o'clock so I got up and fed them.

Been resting, watching some Youtube videos. I like XO stories and Stud Pack. Starting to watch Perkins Brothers after a collaboration they did with Stud Pack.

Also been trying to get to the mystery of what happened to friend's ex's baby- if the baby was abused or if it was some medical condition making bones weak and if its the former then who did it. I'm on the fence on it. Friend didn't want to think it was his ex and I didn't want to either, but she was abusive to my friend and to the first kid (not to bone breaking levels though) and lied about things in the past. She's ok when on her meds for bipolar disorder but her therapist said she is a danger to others when off her meds. She didn't take the meds while pregnant. It's a hot mess.

On the upside, Walmart had the pulled pork sammiches that Mom likes so I got her 4 of them. She ate one yesterday and two just now. Glad I found something she likes that is easy to re-heat. I'm about to get something to eat now bc thinking about food is making me hungry.
The brand is Life Proof flooring, and it's a lighter wood color. Supposed to be fairly waterproof and heavy duty and good for a kitchen.

@Amish Heart our dog does pretty good with hand signal combined with voice command. I hope you can get him to listen.
I started with feeding time. Made her sit when I put the food down, then repeated firmly the commands, sit, stay, no (if necessary). With hand signals. When I think it’s a good time, 5 seconds to start, I then would say release and give a hand signal. Then she can eat.
He does well with some hand signals and NO, but just for some things. He's a six month old heeler and gets very focused on some things he can't do...like leave the property and chase guineas. My sis has a dog who trained well with the vibrate and then the beep on her collar, it was enough to break the focus on the thing she shouldn't be doing and listen. Don't ever intend to shock our pup, just get him to pay attention when he's tearing off and doing something that's a big No, and me screaming in vain. Ha. Actually, he's really pretty good, and follows me all morning for a couple hrs of farm chores.

yall wait till i tell ya about my book story again i mentioned awhile ago....its not over yet....lol...ya wont believe it...be awhile yet before i can tell it accurately.

I did very little today, bad tired. I got most of the dog hair off a wool blanket with a lint roller, then a shop vac, need a bush or something better. Its on the shopping list along with velcro. The doors of my kitchen cabinets from 1974 don’t stay closed and modern latches won't work/fit. Everything is slightly warped, gonna glue velcro to the spots that touch. It works for a few years until the glue fails. It’s now time for new glue and velcro.

Played a lot of music tonight, a couple hours spent enjoying the new strings on my guitar.

Last edited:
Driving the Bobcat to move the manure pile is hard. I gave up after 4 trips from the original pile to where it was going. I am not very good at moving the loader , was just very slow at it and ran out of patience. We can only use it 8 hours a day and have it for 2 days, so I quit and let son drive it. He is much better and faster at it
So this afternoon he got it stuck in the muck and it took a long time to get it out. A small pile is still left, but too much muck to get it out so it will just have to stay until it turns to compost

Just spent an hour looking for a replacement water coil for our wood stove , it's been in there for 8 years and very corroded ( sort of like the waterpipe....). I think I found one, just have to wait for tomorrow for the guy to give me the exact dimensions to make sure it fits. Anyone else on here have anything like that? It's a pipe that goes through the wood stove to the water heater tank to heat the water
I thought about it again since we got the chimney cleaned today ( do it every August so the house don't burn down ) and thought about that we need a valve to shut off the water supply to the stove if the water system fails ( or the water in the tank could create steam and blow up
All these problems ....don't' you just want to come live with us....LOL, most of you are probably thinking " you couldn't pay me to live like that" ....?
I'm coming Sonya!! 😉

He does well with some hand signals and NO, but just for some things. He's a six month old heeler and gets very focused on some things he can't do...like leave the property and chase guineas. My sis has a dog who trained well with the vibrate and then the beep on her collar, it was enough to break the focus on the thing she shouldn't be doing and listen. Don't ever intend to shock our pup, just get him to pay attention when he's tearing off and doing something that's a big No, and me screaming in vain. Ha. Actually, he's really pretty good, and follows me all morning for a couple hrs of farm chores.
The BIGGEST mistake with ANY puppy is too much freedom!! Constant monitoring!! Makes awesome dogs!!😉

we had collars like that for the livestock dogs to keep them from jumping the gate. They are way too smart for that. As long as we were looking, they would just sit in the pasture and stare at us until we went away. We watched them with binoculars from the house where we could see them, and sure enough they got over the fence as soon as we were gone. The collars didn't work from that far.
We put electric tape up on top of the gate, and Rosie got zapped only once, and never jumped the gate again. Axel hurt himself jumping a fence ( hurt his paw on the barbed wire) when he was about 2 and never went over the fence again. Now they only get out if someone leaves a door or gate open, or the fence is down
All it took for Otto chasing after a vehicle was for me to yell at him once and tell him he is a bad dog, and next time all I said was "OTTO" and he turned around and stopped. But he's a GSD, they are generally very obedient dogs

Latest posts

Back