What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trying to get caught up on chores. Being sick for a couple weeks everything piled up. I accomplished a lot the last 3 days, still at least a week behind though. Had to sew something thick today, was using a heavy needle and thread used for canvas. Messed around and drove the needle through my thumb, 3/4” from entry to exit. Same thumb that got 12 stitches from a bad cut a few years ago. Guess I can finally be thankful for the loss of feeling 🤣, didn’t hurt today but bled everywhere. Had to clean up the mess with one hand. Put new strings on my guitar this afternoon, a consolation prize of sorts. :)

No plans but dinner and tv... and music.

I decided to relax at home instead of driving to Elkhorn tonight. It's a little less than 3 hours' drive, I'll try to sleep for 3 or 4 hours and leave around 2am. I'll probably stop at Anytime Fitness near the job site and shower at 5am, just to wake myself up a bit. Then I'll work from 6 to 6 tomorrow. I'll pay for not getting much sleep tonight, but it's one less night in a hotel room...

Today I mowed the old garden site. I'm getting ready to start moving the fence over about 100 feet. We abandoned our garden site last year. I'll start building raised beds closer to house and put plastic sheeting over a frame to protect from early or late frosts. I found the place where the skunk has dug under the fence to steal the duck eggs.
It's starting to get hot again. Today it hit 72 degs.
I got the tar paper on the chicken coop. Tomorrow I'll go pick up the asphalt shingles and a few other things that I need to finish the coop. It looks like I'll have to order the wire mesh for the windows, can't find it anywhere in this part of the state.

It’s Monday here already. I have a clue that I’m in for an interesting week, or two.
Looks like the interesting weeks are in the near future. This week: Just the just the same old, with a twist…. Pretty sure it’ll all be good. I like to keep life interesting, and being payed for it is cool. :)

They would have to wait until tomorrow morning. Hopefully will have water then.

Have you ever made corn cob jelly?
No, I have so much fruit that we make into jams and jellies, I haven’t had the desire to make any.

Today I mowed the old garden site. I'm getting ready to start moving the fence over about 100 feet. We abandoned our garden site last year. I'll start building raised beds closer to house and put plastic sheeting over a frame to protect from early or late frosts. I found the place where the skunk has dug under the fence to steal the duck eggs.
It's starting to get hot again. Today it hit 72 degs.
It’s starting to cool off here. Stayed below 100.

Parts showed up, got the old stuff out, started to re assemble , then it got dark, tommorow is another day

Uff da. I don't know how you live in those temps, Patch. I managed to dig one hole and put in one post for the corner of the greenhouse today. Poured the cement powder down for two posts and connected the posts to the baseboard of the greenhouse. All four corners now have posts going into the ground to hopefully help keep it in place during high winds. Took me all week to get that far, working for 20 minutes then laying flat out in the air conditioning for an hour to recover before doing it all over again. It was 90 here today and it just makes me so ill. I get black spots in my vision and can't seem to breathe.
The belt popped off the mower deck when I was trying to cut grass Saturday, haven't dug into that chore yet.
So thankful to have AC in the house.

Didn't get much done. Mom was melodramatic and snippy. It's still hot in here. And I'm still feeling off and unsteady. Went to the store to get Mom's RX and some groceries. Brother carried a lot of stuff in as I'm still having dizzy spells.

Getting bloodwork in the morning for regular checkup. Appointment is next week.

Poured more bleach down the condensate line and plan to get a better cap for the tee.

They were probably so relieved to see you @Bacpacker You are the glue.
Glad you were able to get out today. Prayers for a good appointment.
@Peanut since I started working full time, um, been maybe 3 years now, I cannot keep up with the housework and chores and spent today working on the kitchen, washing floors, cleaning out cabinets, etc and so forth. Glad you're feeling better.
@Heartbroken it is an acclimation. Sorry you are having such a hard time in the heat. It can wreck ya for sure. You are a tough cookie and I wish you had someone to do that for you. I know how hard it is.
:huggs:

rented a bobcat to move the manure and compost piles for today and tomorrow
so we will be busy taking turns driving it up and down the road, hope we get it all done
right now the manure pile is next to the barn down the road, and the compost pile next to the other barn . We are going to move the compost to the gardens and the manure pile on the other side of the old barn
also moving one garden to where the greenhouse was so the tomatoes are in a different spot
it's nice to have a lot of land, well, relatives, small for a farm really

Ordered new greenhouse plastic yesterday also, of course cheapest I found was on Temu, hopefully it's ok.

I cut up about 10 lbs of apples yesterday to make apple butter. It was in the crockpot overnight and looks about done. Will can it today.

Hopefully, handyman will come over soon and fix water leak. We have had it off all weekend.
Already walked.
If I have water, I will do laundry.
Making French bread pizzas for dinner.
Will set up DH's pills for the month.
Water roses tonight.
hope you get your water fixed, seems to be going around

ours could just break and nobody can fix it , or at least not fast and we are already thinking about what we can do to have at least more water than we have stored now. We have 2 large tanks left behind from the previous owners but they have weird crud in it so would need to somehow be cleaned ( the opening on top is small, you can't get in them well). Thinking about cutting off the upper part and just collecting rain water in them for watering the gardens or if we get them clean enough water for the animals

I got caught up yesterday afternoon on peaches and tomatoes for the freezer, so those are done. Things get backlogged around here when company comes in. Still more laundry to do today and beds to make. Got some of it done yesterday, and the portable air conditioners that we had in each guest room put away. Finally get an MRI this afternoon, so I'll be in the bigger town for that.

Well got the dreaded phone call this morning about my elderly farmer neighbor that was sick in the VA. He passed away last night about midnight. Sad thing for family and friends but he is not suffering any longer now. 93 years is a good long life.

He loved pinto beans as much as i do and for last years of his life i would take him a 50# of pintos each year so he would have plenty each week.He would grin all over himself seeing me show up with that bag on my shoulder.Glad i took time to check on a brother...now i cant any longer.

Latest posts

Back