What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got husband home. Pretty much his infectious disease doc came in today, looked at all his tests and results, decided a course of action, asked if I can do all that at home, then told the hospital doc that he needed to leave before he gets sicker. But it took all day. Picc line in. The IV antibiotic will be delivered in the morning, and I'll pick up the inhaled antibiotics tomorrow, as well as take him back in to have the bandage changed on the Picc line.
It's late in the day, and he wants barbeque, so I'll run back into the bigger town in a bit and bring some home.

Tuesday after a long weekend and school is open again..
Yesterday was the last day of the state fair.. Numbers are not available yet, but the 12 days of the fair set at least 5 or more daily attendance numbers.. Overall attendance may be a new record..

Temps predicted for the week at 65/50F and incredibly nice..

On the stupid side of peoples actions.... Within an hour after the state fair closed a group of teens went on the fair grounds and ended up shooting and wounding 3 people.. The guy who ran into a crowd on a patio was tested at 4 times the legal DWI alcohol limit.. Turns out he has had 5 DWI convictions starting at age 17 think it was.. Also at least 2 license suspensions but no mention of prior jail time.. Sadly 2 died and 9 are hurt, 3 critically in this incident..

All take care..

Trip to the big town, took way too long. Little annoying errands, could never get exactly what I wanted. Example, stopped for a special battery for a laser sight, only place in town that sells them. Couldn’t buy a 3-pack, out of those and then only one single battery was left on the shelf. Now I’ll have to buy them from the internet or drive all the way across town on my next trip. Stopped at 2 other businesses, out of the way and hard to get to. Both were closed today, had been open on the holiday. Was thoroughly annoyed and exhausted when I finally got home. At least lunch was good…

Hey @LadyLocust watching the cowboy channel tonight, rodeo from Walla Walla. Remembered your post… You should have waved at the tv camera! 🤣

Last night’s entertainment
View attachment 161040

View attachment 161309
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Vibrant-...ack/2634147968?classType=REGULAR&athbdg=L1103 @ $17.oo...

Vibrant Life Sifting Cat Litter Box, 2 Open Top Plastic Cat Litter Pans and Cat Litter Tray, Large, Black - Vibrant Life Sifting Litter Pan makes it easy to keep your cat's personal area clean and eliminates the need to scoop. This sifting pan system includes two durable plastic open pans from 100% post-industrial recycled material, and one sifting tray. The reinforced bottom of the open pans maintains strength, and the rolled edges make it easy to pick up. To use: Place the sifting tray between pans. Fill stacked pans with litter. To clean, pour contents of the dirty pan into the empty pan with sifting tray on top. Simply lift the sifting tray and shake. Litter will fall through, allowing you to dispose of cat waste easily. Reassemble pans and sifter tray after disposal and add additional clean litter if needed. :lightbulb:
Thanks! I have some of the arm & hammer version of those litterboxes and I do like them, but I have one box the cats love using that has a pull out tray instead of a sifter. Rather than dismantle the existing litterboxes for sifting, I've decided to make my own for just that box. I will eventually pull out the taller litterboxes that are currently being stored in the front room and put them back in the hallway and use my DIY sifter for it. I found a couple 7.5gallon trash cans that I will stack for it. I may add this to my project list thread. But the idea is the outer can will hold the sifted litter and the inner can will hold whatever crap gets caught up. I'll use bottle caps inside the bottom of the outer can to stagger the cans so the inner one won't get stuck. Inner one will have holes drilled and deburred in the bottom to allow litter to come out while the clumps stay in. It will be easier to carry a vertically tall can outside than to carry the entire litter tray out to dump like I've been doing.
Got husband home. Pretty much his infectious disease doc came in today, looked at all his tests and results, decided a course of action, asked if I can do all that at home, then told the hospital doc that he needed to leave before he gets sicker. But it took all day. Picc line in. The IV antibiotic will be delivered in the morning, and I'll pick up the inhaled antibiotics tomorrow, as well as take him back in to have the bandage changed on the Picc line.
It's late in the day, and he wants barbeque, so I'll run back into the bigger town in a bit and bring some home.
Doing the IV infusions is not fun for anyone. I hope it will work and that you won't feel too stressed with the PICC line. My dad had to get infusions through a PICC line and the meds started to make him feel loopy. I know there was some stuff that had to be used before the medicine to clear the line and make sure there were no clots/clogs blocking the medicine from getting in. Mom and I both did the infusions for dad. He could have done them himself if he hadn't felt so cruddy.

Got sick last night for no apparent reason. I was nauseous and I think I had a fever. I felt cold and was shivering. I forced myself to eat some salad even though I was nauseous and then I took a nap. Woke up drenched in sweat. Got up and changed Mom's insulin canula.

Went to the post office to get mail and then to TSC for cow feed and Walmart for bread & other stuff. Back home and fed the moo cows. Gave Mom a couple pulled pork sandwiches. Gave my brother some cinnamon raisin bagels.

Been researching sheds still. Think I might know what I want but am debating going and getting something from HD or paying more and having it shipped from Amazon. HD will require me to go pick it up in person and transport it back home. Amazon will deliver to my house.

Currently sitting here with Fippy on a pillow next to me and Yasuke on my lap.

My daughter and sil listed their house for sale on Friday. Within 8 hours they had 3 showings and 2 offers, one offer was for cash. She countered the cash offer yesterday and they accepted today. It's shows me that we have a pretty good economy, at least in areas where people want to live, when homes sell this fast and people have cash. They're thinking about moving a couple hundred miles closer to us. The sil can transfer to a mill there.

Trip to the big town, took way too long. Little annoying errands, could never get exactly what I wanted. Example, stopped for a special battery for a laser sight, only place in town that sells them. Couldn’t buy a 3-pack, out of those and then only one single battery was left on the shelf. Now I’ll have to buy them from the internet or drive all the way across town on my next trip. Stopped at 2 other businesses, out of the way and hard to get to. Both were closed today, had been open on the holiday. Was thoroughly annoyed and exhausted when I finally got home. At least lunch was good…

Hey @LadyLocust watching the cowboy channel tonight, rodeo from Walla Walla. Remembered your post… You should have waved at the tv camera! 🤣
I was there somewhere. Glad it’s over. I still have jet lag going on. Being up late for a week then going back to waking up at 4AM takes some adjusting to.
98-100 this week - just to make @Pearl envious.
Hope y’all had a great weekend.

Fairly quiet day today let my cats out of their enclosure for a run whilst i topped up dry food, refreshed water and changed their litter boxes replacing the soiled sandpit sand with fresh stuff, yesterday arvo managed to reposition my HF long wire antenna putting a improvised fence dropper/pool skimmer extension pole tower together and placed it where the tree that blown over Thursday night last week was using half a dozen cable ties and attached it to fence line

Quite happy with how it turned out will make for a good show/tell on local sched call Friday night on the local amateur repeater chances are I'll most likely get good feedback from fellow amateurs including my tutor who helped me pass the foundation license examination

getting more hay today, from the almost 90 year old we have been getting it from every year, and he says he will retire every year but more hay this year, BUT, he can't help load it. He told me on the phone he has problems with his arms. So son is going to come along to help, but son is also going to start looking for a job. We can't keep him for farm labor much longer...
Husband and I plan on cutting down on the amount of animals we have if son gets a job not in the area. It's just too much for us. We have like 5 times the amount of animals we need to keep our land use tax break, or to sell at the market. We just send them to the auction but we really don't need to do that.

So today hay, tomorrow we are supposed to get a load of firewood from some new person. The regular one keeps saying he will call us when he has a load for us but so far no wood, so I am looking elsewhere. It's like everything else around here, not enough people to do work. Not enough functioning dump trucks to do work. Not enough stuff on the shelves either most of the time, like covid never ended. Is it like that everywhere or just here?

Wow, Made it thru the Night to Morning w/o a "Wake Up Break"...!!! 1st time since April 02, 2024, 6 Months of Torment and it will Still Continue... just a quick Respite...!!

Sun is Shining Except inside...!

Regular job today, the going to Walmart! Still some rain around this morning and cooler!
Feel like Winter Coming On for You...?!? :snowwindow:

Just got back from grocery shopping. Holy cats. Got new bread recipe 3 cups self rising flour, 1 3/4 cups vanilla yogurt (low fat). Only had reg yogurt so looked at pie filling. $5 bucks for a single can of fruit, got the yogurt. Spent $100+ and it all fit in my med size wheeler basket. Gas going back up now $3.70 from $3.54. Sorry folks I got nothing but bad mood.

Well...
It's beautiful outside..

I need to get up n moving..I slept great last night.

My heal/ foot has been screaming at me for days so I took acetaminophen.

A lady that I've traded turkeys with is getting divorced..her hubby up n left her for another gal. Anyways, I hit her up a few days ago to call on a trade to get a turkey hen from her. I gave her a Tom and hen last spring and she has black Spanish crosses. Anyways she is having to get rid of all her critters now so this Saturday I'm picking up at least 4 hens, free. I told her I'd pay for the 2 extra but she just wants to unload n knows I'll do them right.

She offered to sell me her mostly blind 2 year old cow that is halter trained. They got her for butcher originally, she is a beef cross and we're thinking about breeding her but now she has to unload..$600 bucks.

I will see her on Saturday but not pick her up yet..and ask more questions. She takes good care of her animals and she got the cow last spring to finish out for fall butcher.

Depending on how this story tells, I might just keep her n have her A I'ed. Not sure..

Farm chores/garden and animal chores done. Infusion meds delivered and did the first one. Shower, and lunch. Got husband showered and changed. Having some coffee and then taking husband in to the bigger town for a bandage change on his Picc line. Made a loaf of honey white wheat bread, just took it out to cool, so house smells good. Also need to pick up a bunch at the pharmacy.

Hey ! Funny cuz this is where I am going today ==Walmart
and other grocery places ...with my *list 😛 (piece of paper and a pen )
Spend a little at Wally World, I need their stock to go up.
I am almost broke!!!! got some bills coming!
I only made 940 dollars today at least it was not down 20 bucks.

Just working around the house today. Had to take the door apart on the new coop and cut it down so it would fit. The wife is going to start painting the coop today.
Got the wood splitter out. Need to do a service on it, change engine oil and hydraulic oil & filter. It takes 6 gallons of hydraulic oil. Got notification that the wire mesh I ordered is ready for pick up. I'll go down tomorrow morning and get the wire and some lumber. Then I can finish the coop.
My next project will be putting a roof over the deck on the main coop. And start splitting firewood. I've got about 3 cords of dry larch ready to split. I found a few dead doug fir trees around the area that I'll cut as soon as we get some moisture.

Finished all the medical errands and husband's bandaging change/check. Everything went smoothly and he's feeling pretty good, although weak. Today was a good day. Can take a load off and then have a bunch of tomatoes and peppers to wash and sort, a big fruit bowl to make, and then dinner to round up.

Resting today, mostly, still processing yellowroot. Went for lunch down the road, checked on some plants on the way home. Busy time of year, lots of medicines need to be harvested.

A cousin called, their muscadines are ready. Went and got a bowl full for dad. Be another week before the scuppernongs are ready, my favorite.

20240904_muscad38a.jpg

Picked up some sandwiches from out favorite sub shop and went to parents for lunch and to hang out for a few hours. Glad we could hang out and talk for a while. Pic'd up some scripts on the way home. Walked some more. Trying to expand that every day. Felt pretty good. Had left over sammichs for supper, then hit the deck till after dark. Smoked me a nice cigar. Just messin around the net now

Picked up some sandwiches from out favorite sub shop and went to parents for lunch and to hang out for a few hours. Glad we could hang out and talk for a while. Pic'd up some scripts on the way home. Walked some more. Trying to expand that every day. Felt pretty good. Had left over sammichs for supper, then hit the deck till after dark. Smoked me a nice cigar. Just messin around the net now
So glad you are feeling good!

Back