What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have an insta-pot, could a crock pot work?
Tried a crock pot last year, wasn't happy with the results. As it cycled there was a 30degree temperature swing.

So far the insta-pot is far superior, maintains temp within 5 degrees. Even better I have 6 low temperature settings to choose from, 3 under 'keep warm' and 3 under the 'slow cooker' modes. (I put water in the pot and measured the water temp for all these settings.)

My plan today is to do as little as possible. I'm tired, very tired.

What's the difference between a crock pot and an instapot?

What brand is yours?

Mine is an Instant Pot brand, model 'Duo Nova Mini', 3quart. I know they come in 6q also.

Like pearl said its a pressure cooker but can also be a slow cooker. It's far more versatile than an old fashioned crock pot.

Today,
Taking my time piddling about. I'll go walk the pups but from home. Don't feel like driving anywhere.
All is calm right now..nothing has been updated since yesterday. Looks like Cascade idaho got real hot burns yesterday..photos are beautiful and tragic. There are not as many homes on this side of the mountains so..
Mushroom hunting will be easy next spring tho..

Today,
Taking my time piddling about. I'll go walk the pups but from home. Don't feel like driving anywhere.
All is calm right now..nothing has been updated since yesterday. Looks like Cascade idaho got real hot burns yesterday..photos are beautiful and tragic. There are not as many homes on this side of the mountains so..
Mushroom hunting will be easy next spring tho..
It is an erie feeling having wild fire that close, especially when the updates seem days old I don't know if the smok haze is from those fires or something closer, but visiblity is about 4 miles ,to the south Hope you stay safe

I'm good..it's grown to around 46,000 acres..it's still a bit away from me..it would have to blow up again and spread like it did yesterday. It did start a spot fire just north of it that is closer but smaller..for now.
The weather thing says visibility is 10 miles..not sure where they get that..it's more like maybe 1 mile as the crow flies. Maybe 10 above all the smoke..

By the time I go to post I forget what everyone said. @sonya123 what is the game you were trying to learn?
@Bacpacker safe travels to y’all. Prayers for good news and plans.
@Hooch that would cause some great anxiety. Hoping things calm down. Rain would be nice.

I decided that when I drive past areas where men are outside working I might roll my window down and hoot and holler. I did it a while ago, one young guy, he looked. I laughed for a few minutes and thought about my behavior. I’m okay with it. Maybe it made his day.

By the time I go to post I forget what everyone said. @sonya123 what is the game you were trying to learn?
@Hooch that would cause some great anxiety. Hoping things calm down. Rain would be nice.

I decided that when I drive past areas where men are outside working I might roll my window down and hoot and holler. I did it a while ago, one young guy, he looked. I laughed for a few minutes and thought about my behavior. I’m okay with it. Maybe it made his day.
Laughter is a great thing.....this world needs more laughter and happiness !

You and Pearl together might be a handful....lol

This will be useful when I get internet. Right now I can't do anything. I get a message that says I'm not at my registered location. I'm 2 miles from my mailbox. In order to change my location I need to log on to their site, which I need internet for.
How are You connecting to here...?!?

Got up, worked out, drank copious amounts of coffee, cleaned up, drove to the city, went to college, looked at an apartment, went to the store, drove to the compound, met with a contractor and sold some stuff to him, and now I am just waiting for my next move. Until I figure out what that is, I might as well use my broadband.

I'm going to the Clay County, Iowa fair. It's touted as being the biggest one in the nation. Veterans get in free today.
Bought a small vibrating pillow for my neck and lower back at the fair because it worked there. Like me, the sheriff is a member of the VFW and Legion. I ran into him and we chatted for a while. And ran into some other people I haven't seen for a while and we chatted too. Worth the time, even though it was about 85 degrees.

Has your kitchen ever been such a mess that you had to move stuff to another rm just to clear a small spot to clean from? 🤣 And that was after I got the garbage out!! Garbage truck runs on mondays. I’ve been really busy, a little less than 5 gallons of tincture in 30days. Oh, I had the flu somewhere in there too! My house is a disaster!!!

Except for the trash I had a quiet morning then a late breakfast, then a nice nap. Felt a little better so I tackled the kitchen. Got all my big pans and bowls washed and put away, except for 3. Got all the normal dishes washed, last batch drying now. I have a couple broiler racks that came from an old stove. They fit over my double sink, great for drying extra dishes, especially jars. I use a centrifugal fan to blow air across them, speeds up the process.

No plans this evening but dinner and tv.

20240909_kit_drying3.jpg

I'm getting ready to head out to North Platte, Nebraska for work. I had planned to leave about 2pm and get out there around 8:30, but I slept so poorly last night that I had to rest. I slept from 11am to 3:30 and I'll take off around 8. When I get to North Platte, around 3am there is an Anytime Fitness about 10 minutes from the job site. I'll nap in the parking lot for an hour or so and then I'll shower and get dressed for work there.

I'm getting way too old for all this late night travel. Looks like I'm going to have to sacrifice some home time to the railroad gods and start leaving sooner. GF isn't going to like that, but it is what it is...

Patch,
There isn't anything wrong acting foolishly once and while.
We might be older, but we sure as heck not dead.

I received a rare compliment while at work at another office.
Seems someone thinks I'm a kick a*** bad a***.
They wanted me to see the compliment, so they taped it to the desk I have been using.
We got several chuckles about it.
Someone seems to think I'm male.
My given name can be male or female.
Doesn't matter to me.
I use nicknames anyway.
Reading forums, baking bread.
Home for a few days.

Folks would always ask me why do i cover up the Subaru computer screen..I tell them, it bothers my night driving and i dont know or care to know how to use subies comupter.

It starts, breaks, gets me to point A to B n back to A and has a butt warmer..i dont even turn on the radio because i use my phone for podcasts and halfway up the mountain i loose service anyways.

Since I threw away my last screen cover after the Steak Incident that almost made me barf..I decided to make a different custom cover for Subie..Now I need a sound effect thing with vibration n buzzer to complete the experience..

This was the snokey sun eariler today..it was pretty thick today. But from what I can see..fire behavior has calmed down over here at least for now. A storm front will be comming in with strong outflow winds n thunderstorms..hopefully it rains too..

Attachments

• 20240909_170103.jpg
    20240909_170103.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240909_080333.jpg
    20240909_080333.jpg
    338.9 KB · Views: 0
Monday Sept 9th 2024
9.05 pm
50f will drop 44f

Someone did mow my place today 😛
He said * Next time just ask for * ;)
Makes me feel a bit better 👍

It will probably just makes me have a better sleep
Cuz its cooler and breezy ...my kind of weather 🥰

I think Wednesday I will drop 3 big bags of clothes to 2nd hand store
All cats are quiet except Miss Ruben as usual she is a
*Me ...me... me.... take me in your arms meowwww 🐈‍⬛ mamama *
So...I have to pick her up ..hold her in my arms
and she does ...purrrr purrrr 🤣 she is so funny sometimes!!

So I will take it easy ..and go to bed soon ...I guess
Sleep well 💤

I reinjured a shoulder I dislocated 40 or more years ago. I tried toughing it out but that wasn't working. I ordered an arm immobilizer and was happy to get it on. No pain and fear of dislocating the shoulder again. I'm happy.

The Princess has been teasing me that she is going to get me a Napoleon hat because my arm is hidden inside my bibs.:rolleyes:

I have been sorting out green berries from the elderberry and freeze drying pears.

More berry sorting tomorrow.

Ben

Went to the doctor for checkup. Lost more weight (good thing) and bp was good. Blood sugar was too high though. Dexcom has a new otc cgm called Stelo that just came out. Doctor said I might want to get it. Upped my Metformin dosage.

Took kitten to the vet and named him Kelebrimbor. His siblings all have teeth but his haven't grown in yet. No signs of any illness, he's just a runt. But vet said kittens were old enough for worming meds. So I got enough for them, their mother, and their aunt. Also got worming meds for my kitties. Helped my friend give worming meds to all of the kitties at his place. I gave a dose to the pregnant calico (vet said meds were ok for pregnant kitty) at friend's house. Then I gave worming meds to 11 of my cats. Rupert is outside somewhere and didn't come when I called him. I'll try again later.

Got a roast in the pressure cooker. 6qt one started leaking steam out the edges of the lid so switched to 8qt one. Bro was ranting about cats on the counters and how he's going to set new rules and was basically barking orders at me like he owns the place and has more authority than me. I ignored him.

Went to get gas at Walmart gas station but they were out of gas. People are panicking about the tropical storm that may hit us. Not to be mean to the people east of us, but I hope it stays east and that we don't lose power.

Ugh, hope it gets better quick, Ben.
Our pup is looking under the weather, wonder if he got into something he ate and shouldn't have. Like a pretrified frog under the deck, or the barn cats food. Not sure. Hope he's better tomorrow. Now I'm feeling guilty about how I had to get on to him pretty rough this morning. He was running the outside of the turkey run this morning, and he knows not to do that. I was inside of it at the time trying to feed and water them, get smacked by 6 flying full sized turkeys, and when I tried to get out, one got out after bouncing off my head. I did catch it, but the pup kept trying to get at it, and knock me over in the process. He got a screaming at by me, and a hearty swat on the behind. Told him he gets the tie out tomorrow when I am taking care of the turkey runs. Now I feel bad for him. Hoping he sleeps it off whatever is bugging him.

Ugh, hope it gets better quick, Ben.
Our pup is looking under the weather, wonder if he got into something he ate and shouldn't have. Like a pretrified frog under the deck, or the barn cats food. Not sure. Hope he's better tomorrow. Now I'm feeling guilty about how I had to get on to him pretty rough this morning. He was running the outside of the turkey run this morning, and he knows not to do that. I was inside of it at the time trying to feed and water them, get smacked by 6 flying full sized turkeys, and when I tried to get out, one got out after bouncing off my head. I did catch it, but the pup kept trying to get at it, and knock me over in the process. He got a screaming at by me, and a hearty swat on the behind. Told him he gets the tie out tomorrow when I am taking care of the turkey runs. Now I feel bad for him. Hoping he sleeps it off whatever is bugging him.
From your mouth to God's ear!

Ben

Latest posts

Back