Food shortages are here and getting worse.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those who don’t click on the article DrHenley posted above. It really is too good to miss.

Now The Organized Takedown of Global Fertilizer Supply?
By F. William Engdahl
12 November 2021

The global energy shortages which have driven prices for coal, oil and natural gas to explosive highs in the last months are a predictable consequence of the mad pursuit of “Zero Carbon” economic policies that have seen foolish governments subsidize a growing share of electricity from unreliable solar and wind generation. One consequence has been a five-fold rise in the price of natural gas or methane across the globe. That extends from China to the EU, USA and beyond. A follow-on consequence of that natural gas shortage and price explosion is a growing crisis in world agriculture fertilizer production. This may all be no accident. It fits the WEF Great Reset Agenda of UN 2030 …

…The combined effect of the three major closures by the same group added to the crisis in world fertilizer supply. It may be just coincidence that the two largest stock owners of CF Industries are Vanguard and BlackRock.

Heart of global food security

Nitrogen-based fertilizers are far the most widely used in global farming, about three-fourths of all commercial fertilizers
. Since the development of the Haber-Bosch process in Germany just before the First World War, artificial production of nitrogen fertilizers has supported the enormous expansion in agriculture productivity. Nitrogen fertilizers are made from ammonia (NH3) produced by the Haber-Bosch process. It is energy-intensive using natural gas (CH4) which is methane, to supply hydrogen. This NH3 or ammonia is used as a feedstock for other nitrogen fertilizers, such as anhydrous ammonium nitrate (NH4NO3) and urea (CO(NH2)2). Crop yields since World War Two have become strongly dependent on nitrogen-based fertilizers. It is estimated for the US that average corn yields would decline by 40 percent without nitrogen fertilizer.”

Elk is excellent. Moose is a little better. Pronghorn needs to be prepared correctly or it tastes off. Deer are great. The best is turkey but all the wild ones always have little lead BB's in them. Grouse is quite good but it takes several to make a meal, and they are getting harder to find. Bear taken in the spring is OK because they have been fasting for a while. Bear taken in the fall are not good because a hungry bear will eat anything, even automotive grease. Lots of snow here. Temperature is around O F at night getting to low 20's in the heat of the afternoon. I can almost make it to the big generator, and the greenhouse.

ICE AGE FARMER

“Wheat prices soar as 1/3rd of the world’s wheat exports come from Ukraine/Russia --

Wheat futures prices were up sharply Thursday on the prospect of disrupted supplies and market breakdowns as two of the world’s biggest grain exporters square off.

Between them, Ukraine and Russia account for nearly a third of the world’s wheat exports, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, and Kyiv is a major source of grain for such key markets as China, Egypt and much of the Middle East.”

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2022/feb/24/wheat-prices-soar-exporting-giants-ukraine-russia-/
Here’s hoping our wheat production is not drastically affected by lack of fertilizer.

Not entirely. Urea only supplies nitrogen…not a bit of phosphorus or potassium. Different plants need varying amounts of all 3. It’s good for greening of lawns. As far as I know, urea is also made in some of the same plants that have been shut down.

Now homesteaders and gardeners can and do use rabbit, chicken, and cow droppings…all in varying degrees and times. I did read somewhere that some American medium size farmers are securing cow manure and chicken poo in bulk to use this spring.

Urea only supplies nitrogen…not a bit of phosphorus or potassium
You're missing what I asked though. When I hear about the fertilizer shortages, it's due to the fact that urea is in short supply. Now if that connection is mistaken then your point is still useful.

But if I'm right, then the problem is lack of urea... which is actually rather common. See what I'm getting at?

But if I'm right, then the problem is lack of urea... which is actually rather common. See what I'm getting at?

Not sure where I lost you, but simply put you are focusing on urea…as if it is the only fertilizer required. Far from it! And as if it is made in totally different facilities. Here are some snippets from Agfa.com that might clear things up for you.

Quinn stated that, “The average retail price of 10-34-0 was 5% more expensive compared to a month ago. The starter fertilizer had an average price of $837 per ton.

DAP had an average price of $874/ton compared to last month, MAP $935/ton, potash $815/ton, anhydrous $1,488/ton (all-time high), UAN28 $603/ton (all-time high) and UAN32 $703/ton (all-time high).

Farm Policy
@FarmPolicy

In Tuesday’s farmdoc webinar, Krista Swanson discussed the surge in #fertilizer prices, and noted that the price of anhydrous ammonia had recently reached a record high.

The DTN article added that, “UAN32 was $700 per ton for the first in the history of the DTN dataset. This is an all-time-high price for the liquid nitrogen fertilizer.

“One fertilizer was lower in price from the prior month. Urea was slightly lower with an average price of $891/ton.”

Also Wednesday, Bloomberg writers Jen Skerritt and Elizabeth Elkin reported that,

More price hikes for fertilizer are on the horizon as the Russia-Ukraine crisis adds to fears of global shortages, stoking concerns about rising food costs.
Russia is a low-cost, high-volume global producer for all major fertilizers, and it’s the world’s second-largest producer after Canada of potash, a key nutrient used on major commodity crops and produce. The conflict in the region as well as sanctions on Russia could hurt trade flows. U.S.-based Mosaic Co., a major fertilizer producer, warned of potash shortages in a call with analysts Wednesday.”

If you are thinking farmers can bring in cows pee on the acres of growing land….that won’t work for many reasons.

Price of these fertilizers are rising so much because of lack of AVAILABILITY. Have you not seen where the 3 largest fertilizer plants in the world were shut down? Then 2 additional large plants some how both burned down. Odd eh?

FROM ICE AGE FARMER…

“If just 1 in 3 families had a small laying flock of chickens in their backyard, we eliminate the commercial egg industry.

We don’t need industrial agriculture. They need us.

RUN—DON’T WALK—AWAY! TAKE BACK YOUR POWER!”

1645842186719.jpeg

Latest posts

Back