New neighbors

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I realized after reading my comments about the county sheriff taking animal calls that I'm basing my information on old experiences.
After Covid and all the police hatred in the country we are like all the other places in that they can't hire officers very easy now.
I'm not sure if they would respond to animal calls now or not.
I do know there is now a dog catcher in the county. I suspect they are more interested in picking up strays that are not licensed so they can issue people fines.
Like everything else it's the money.

I don't mind anyone from the city moving to the country, maybe fulfilling a dream. But if you are going to get animals PLEASE LEARN how to take care of them!! Ask, read, do whatever you need to do to learn!! But things like not even thinking that your animals don't have/need water (or food) really disgusts me!
Hubby and I moved from a city into the country. It was definitely a dream of mine. But we are smart enough to know we don’t want to tend livestock. We only have 2 indoor dogs and 3 cats two indoor and one outdoor cat that came with the property. I would love to have a horse but we know we don’t want to tend it so we don’t get one.

So animal control did actually come out! Animals are on single guy's property at the moment, he was there. He told them the animals weren't his but he would fill the water trough (it's 23° right now, sooo). The kids that own the animals said they are not their's 🤔🙄. So they have no food, frozen water, and AC will do an investigation. They should TAKE the animals. Sad situation!!

So all this neglected animal mess had brought something good! I met (via phone) Johnny Straitz who owns TMR Donkey Rescue north of Houston. He is a wealth of information and motivation! We are on the way to helping these poor animals! Hope we can help before they die!!

Do I see a new friend in Buddy's future? During our marriage of over 45 years we have had between 15 and 20 dogs. Every single one has been a rescue.

I don't mind city people too much, of course I'd rather they stay in the city. If they would just leave the GD city behind and quit talking about where they're from every time they open their mouth they'd be welcome. Californians are the worst. If California is so wonderful, stay there.
When I lived in Illinois, I was in a small farming town, population 5,000 and that including the many farms around the actual town. People from the Chicago suburbs would come move into our town then complain there was no shopping mall like they had in the suburbs. 😡

My sister lived in a farm up in Wisconsin. The neighbors had a pony in their pasture and its hooves were overgrown and curling up almost to the horses knees, I kid you not. My sister asked if they would give her the pony. They said it was their kids pony but the kids were grown and gone and they didn’t want to give it up. My sister called the animal control or whoever in her rural area. They came out and investigated and said they were taking the pony. The owner said to give it to my sister. The farrier said he had never seen hooves that bad. He sawed them off then reshaped the hooves for the pony. He kept the hooves he sawed off because it was almost unbelievable. My sister had to keep the pony in a stall for a few days as its legs were sore adjusting to its new (and correct) stance. My two little nieces loved that pony so much and it had a great life for its remaining years.

When I lived in Illinois, I was in a small farming town, population 5,000 and that including the many farms around the actual town. People from the Chicago suburbs would come move into our town then complain there was no shopping mall like they had in the suburbs. 😡
Unfortunately, Buddy is a jack and would not do well with company! ☹️

Met a few single young people who wanted to homestead.
They lived in the city their whole life & dream of being Joel Salatin until they have to feed/water them everyday & learn the meds for them.
One girl in her twenties wanted cable reels for the goats to climb on, I got them for her for free & had to deliver them, because she had no truck or tailor. What kind of people do not have a truck for farming/ranching, or at least a 4X8 tailor to carry hay, feed & lumber in. Maybe I am wrong have had a truck all my life & tailors for the past forty five years.
Growing a few peppers & tomatoes does not make you a farmer, as riding in a car does not make you a NASCAR driver.
One can farm one acre or less or one can own thirty acres & have no deal about growing things. All living things need water, food, shelter & care when they are sick.

Update, good and bad! A donkey rescue reached out to the neighbors and suggested fencing the animals away from my fence so they don't get hurt trying to get through it when I feed Buddy! And they are emailing basic donkey care information to them. Encouraging rehoming! The owner actually was talking to single guy next to me about fencing! Bad news, they still do not have food!

Its TEXAS Rescue just southwest if Ft. Worth!! Small operation, GREAT couple own it. They use their rescue donkeys as therapy donkeys for veterans and autistic children!! They are coming Thursday to get the donkeys, the remaining goat and two cows are stuck for now!! PLEASE PRAY HARD for these animals, pray that the owners don't change their mind before Thursday!! This is probably these donkeys only chance to escape a lifetime of needless breeding/inbreeding!! Love for the long ears!!♥️

If they are willing to give the donkeys to a rescue organization maybe they will do the same with the goat and cows. Are there rescue organizations close by that could step in?

If they are willing to give the donkeys to a rescue organization maybe they will do the same with the goat and cows. Are there rescue organizations close by that could step in?
The guy I met the other day from Houston (near Houston), had a huge donkey rescue. He had connections to other types of rescues! I contacted him!!🤞

Yeah, plant them trees now. That was my first thought too.

Plant a double row of Carolina Sapphire evergreens, they fill out nice and are drought tolerant. Will help with sound some too. 3 to 5 foot a year growth rate. So in say 4 years you should have a nice barrier.
Thanks for mentioning these I may have my new wind break / privacy screen trees in mind now. They're putting a 1000-2000 acre solar farm on three sides of my property and the more trees they remove the more the wind blows!

The donkeys get rescued today!! Heard from the owners of the rescue yesterday. They let me know they had everything in line for their newcomers. They wanted to know if I could see the one jenny that is due to foal any moment!! As of yesterday evening, no foal!! Praying hard all goes well today and the two mommies to be get to their safe place! They will get water with electrolytes, and just good quality Bermuda hay at first, they have been without food (other than old leaves) for too long! I'll be able to keep up with their progress!! I plan to get involved with this particular rescue!!

It happened, they got safely to the rescue sanctuary!! The donks loaded easily for food! It was a horrible time dealing with the owner!! He ran the donkeys on to the neighbor's land next to me!! The rescue people had to get permission from the property owner to go on his land! The only place to set up a catch pen was in his driveway! But they loaded and made it safely!! The two cows and remaining goat are not happy! But the donkeys are! So successful but stressful!! Pearl is tired!! Pearl is happy for those sweet animals!!

It happened, they got safely to the rescue sanctuary!! The donks loaded easily for food! It was a horrible time dealing with the owner!! He ran the donkeys on to the neighbor's land next to me!! The rescue people had to get permission from the property owner to go on his land! The only place to set up a catch pen was in his driveway! But they loaded and made it safely!! The two cows and remaining goat are not happy! But the donkeys are! So successful but stressful!! Pearl is tired!! Pearl is happy for those sweet animals!!
Good work on your part @Pearl .

You saved a couple of critters.

Ben

Just watched a video the rescue couple sent me, the donks coming out of the trailer and getting to eat grass!! What a great feeling knowing their bellies are full tonight!! They will let me know when the foal is born ...any minute now!!😮♥️♥️ Worth every minute of the headaches and listening to the scumbag that had them lying about how they just recently got them!! I know these sweet souls are feeling great and safe tonight!!

Just watched a video the rescue couple sent me, the donks coming out of the trailer and getting to eat grass!! What a great feeling knowing their bellies are full tonight!! They will let me know when the foal is born ...any minute now!!😮♥️♥️ Worth every minute of the headaches and listening to the scumbag that had them lying about how they just recently got them!! I know these sweet souls are feeling great and safe tonight!!

You are earning your place in Heaven, Pearl. Great job!

Those donkeys probably feel like they are in heaven right now!!♥️ Just got a text a few minutes ago, update. No baby yet, they are watching closely, mamma donkey has mouth sores, maybe from dehydration. They don't want to give her antibiotics since she's so close to foaling. Their vet is going to figure out a different plan, she is eating and drinking with no problems! Both girls have many bite marks from the jack! The younger female is no longer pregnant, lost a foal recently. The jack has cuts on his legs from being hung in the fence!! All three were happy to get breakfast this morning!!

Those donkeys probably feel like they are in heaven right now!!♥️ Just got a text a few minutes ago, update. No baby yet, they are watching closely, mamma donkey has mouth sores, maybe from dehydration. They don't want to give her antibiotics since she's so close to foaling. Their vet is going to figure out a different plan, she is eating and drinking with no problems! Both girls have many bite marks from the jack! The younger female is no longer pregnant, lost a foal recently. The jack has cuts on his legs from being hung in the fence!! All three were happy to get breakfast this morning!!
maybe alum or baking soda paste.??

trying to chew through wire fence to get food is hard on the mouth !

Latest posts

Back