Weather in your area?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It quit snowing a few minutes ago, but it looks like another storm is blowing in from the west. We've had high winds most of the day. A lot more snow is expected and temps well below zero by the end of the week. We're finally starting to get some winter weather now. We still have a long way to go to catch up with where we should be at this time of year.
20240109_160911.jpg

@Pearl, are things settled down in your area? Were any of your vehicles damaged?

@Frodo, I hope things are warmer with power back on. Sorry to send the weather your way. I went outside without pants and it scared the storm away. :p

Weather was fairly nice when I went out briefly today. Didn't check the temp but it was sunny.

Hope everyone is staying warm and comfy.

Yes Zannej, things have settled down here. My car took a hit from a charcoal grill, just a couple of scratches. A lot of trees and branches down! Up and down temps coming 60's today, 70° tomorrow. The bottom falls out on the weekend, artic air intruding! 20's for highs and single digit lows Sunday -Tuesday! Maybe some ice Sunday night!☹️

It's been snowing all morning. We're getting high winds and at times with a lot of blowing snow, can't see the barn from the house at times. Storm warnings and avalanche warnings have been posted for this area. I don't think I'll be working on the road until the wind calms down some. It's too easy to slide off the road when it's like this, not to mention frozen skin.

Oh you have nice weather, Pearl. 22 right now, but starting this weekend, it's negative temps all week long.
Yes, I am bracing for this!

Temperatures keep changing in the weather app. I thought I saw -19, but maybe that was in the Dakotas. Currently we are predicted to have -12 for a low on Monday with a high of 6 degrees.

Many people use 20 degrees as their cut off for their dogs to go to dog parks. I am boarding a dog this weekend and we usually go to the park at least once a day so she can chase balls. I already told her owner that we are going to be staying home, and maybe going for a quick walk. Dog can do her business in the yard.

I have a house full of men today. Snow day for everyone both work and school. The highway over the hill was closed for a while and we had 4” of snow over black ice. Just enough of a combination to make a mess. The menfolk went and shoveled and plowed out the neighborhood. I did not get a snow day because I work remotely from home, feel slightly cheated!

Just got in from plowing the road. The wind stopped blowing awhile ago so that helped a lot. I'm still just about frozen though. In places the wind had blown the snow off the road and other places it was pretty deep.
The wife had a hot bowl of tomato bacon soup and a grilled ham and cheese sandwich waiting for me.

Last edited:
......Avalanche warnings.... I once lived where 2 major highways crossed.. All 4 of the mountain passes around me had permanent gun emplacements where they would fire high explosives into the snow banks to make small avalanche because if a big avalanche accumulated it would close the highway, if not kill people.. You had to monitor the weather, roads, and pack accordingly to travel safely..

Temps running 25/10F through Saturday.. Sunday and the next week predicted to be continued overcast and 10/-10F temps.. Still only have a skiff of snow on the grass with dry streets and sidewalks.. A bit more snow on the lake affect north shore of Lake Superior...

70+° today, the last of the nice weather!! Another wind advisory has been posted from midnight tonight through noon tomorrow (hope we keep our power)! Artic front coming Saturday afternoon, single digit nights, hope people prepare!! Brutal cold for several days, slight chance of winter precipitation Sunday!

Yes Zannej, things have settled down here. My car took a hit from a charcoal grill, just a couple of scratches. A lot of trees and branches down! Up and down temps coming 60's today, 70° tomorrow. The bottom falls out on the weekend, artic air intruding! 20's for highs and single digit lows Sunday -Tuesday! Maybe some ice Sunday night!☹️
You're welcome Pearl.
I sent some of this good old fashion Missouri weather to my younger sister in Huntsville Tx.
Thought I would just share with you too.
By the way my little sister is saying all kinds of mean and nasty things right about now.

Wonderful 70° with sun and a few clouds.:D
Baro steady at 1001 for 12 hours so maybe we are safe from Pearl's 'round #3' for another day :thumbs:.
90% chance of rain for Friday :(.

Went out to let the chickens out of their coop. My irrigation black rubber boots I keep on the back porch where so frozen i couldn't get my feet into them. Yup it's cold.
The wife and I use insulated Sorrell boots here. They're good down to something like -45. They keep my feet plenty warm when I'm out sitting on the tractor.
They used to be made in Canada, not sure where they're made now.

Wonderful 70° with sun and a few clouds.:D
Baro steady at 1001 for 12 hours so maybe we are safe from Pearl's 'round #3' for another day :thumbs:.
90% chance of rain for Friday :(.
You gotta praise @Pearl for fast shipping! :D:thumbs:.
The Baro has dropped to 996 in the last few hours, and guess what???
The rain has started:mad:.

Latest posts

Back