weather where you are?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fiance's house is on the west coast at the s.w. tip of Florida.
Likely to get damaged.
Ain't my house.
If someone GAVE me a nice house where her's is I'd sell it as
quickly as possible.
Hot, humid, bugs, hot, humid, bugs, now SNAKES, big ones.
ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

104 forecasted for today, it looks like a large fire on the Oregon side has jumped the mighty Columbia River and now burning on the Washington side, I now have a fire to the south of me not counting the one to the East of me, all the live stock is being moved 35 miles to the Southwest of me. The only access by road now is West, if a fire develops to the West we are cut off, because of the danger of that happening we moving all live stock grand kids and women, me and the boys are staying on the property to man the pumps. We have the Forest Service stationed on the property, we cut our fence to give access to forest land.

This is a dam that supplies power to our region, fire very close to the damn and high power transmission lines, the picture is of the Oregon side, Washington fire is also threatening the high power transmission lines from the dam.

56506701f8bbf60baca45a313203f8e4.jpg

This is the locks down river from the dam

7c177a7dee40e886592add408a0b47e4.jpg

Wonder how Arctic is doing. it looks as if he is surrounded by fires?
The smoke is so bad it looks like a heavy fog and ash falling. Eyes burn and its hard to breahe. Still no rain in sight and more hot weather predicted. I pulled the trailer out on Monday evening and drove all night to the dealer and dropped it off yesterday. I decided to drive at night while it was cooler to avoid overheating the truck going over the passes. Burned the breaks pretty bad on a couple of the long steep grades. We are now officially homeless. At least until the cabin is finished in a couple of weeks.

The smoke is so bad it looks like a heavy fog and ash falling. Eyes burn and its hard to breahe. Still no rain in sight and more hot weather predicted. I pulled the trailer out on Monday evening and drove all night to the dealer and dropped it off yesterday. I decided to drive at night while it was cooler to avoid overheating the truck going over the passes. Burned the breaks pretty bad on a couple of the long steep grades. We are now officially homeless. At least until the cabin is finished in a couple of weeks.
I'd take you and wife in till your cabin was done in a heartbeat if y'all lived closer!! Stay safe my friend. Is your wife still in town? Would feel better if there was more than one of you on your property.

I'd take you and wife in till your cabin was done in a heartbeat if y'all lived closer!! Stay safe my friend. Is your wife still in town? Would feel better if there was more than one of you on your property.
Thank you for the kind offer. I know she'd take you up on it in a heartbeat. She could learn a lot about canning from you. She came home on Friday and we're up with the kids and grandkids now. We'll be heading back home tomorrow morning. Our place is rather isolated (by lower 48 standards) with only one road in or out. My biggest worries, beside fire, is if we get heavy rains this fall after a long hot dry summer is there could be a lot of land and rock slides.

This is a dam that supplies power to our region, fire very close to the damn and high power transmission lines, the picture is of the Oregon side, Washington fire is also threatening the high power transmission lines from the dam.

56506701f8bbf60baca45a313203f8e4.jpg

This is the locks down river from the dam

7c177a7dee40e886592add408a0b47e4.jpg
I heard the gorge was on fire. Maybe it'll burn some of those dam wind generators on the hills above the gorge.....

Much of the smoke has cleared out finially. We can see the top of our mountain that's only a couple miles away now. It's still hot and dusty, but rain is possible by Tuesday. We'll see. I need to get some plastic to cover the tomatoes in case it freezes next week. It would be nice to get back to normal Fall weather.

In the last 2 days the temperature here has dropped by 50 degrees. Today is cold and windy. Looks like we may have our first frost by the first of the week and lows down to low 20's by the end of next week. May get some snow next week too. And we're still about 3 weeks away from getting the wood stove installed.

Starting this weekend looks like early fall weather is here, upper 50s low 60s for the highs next week with 9 days of rain forecasted. Saturday high 78 all sun, Sunday high 62 with heavy rain, everything starts Sunday.

The big talks around these parts is La Niña moving back in meaning heavy snow, that confirms what we been seeing with the wildlife especially with the squirrels being very active for the past two months. I'm ready for it (I hope)

Back