What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Working. Can't really say "going to work" because we have been working from home the past two years. And staying inside. I can't believe the temperature is 32 this late in April. I should have put this in the rant for the day thread.

I am so ready for Summer.

Walked first.
Young lady is here that helps keep this 3 dog home from becoming a shambles. Thank you Lord!
Will walk dogs after she leaves.
Prune some trees.
Weed in potato patch.
Call senior club members from Church and remind them of meeting this week.
Call local VA as VA hospital still doesn't have oxygen machine order for DH. That is 2 weeks after it was supposed to be called in.

And I did get brave and open the preserved (not pickled) eggs. They are fine--don't look real pretty (grayish yolks). They are salty and a little rubbery. I will put them in tuna and egg salad. Glad to know I can preserve them without having to pickle them!

Just sitting here watching the snow melt . Last night we got a foot of snow on top of mud . Tried to snow blow but the tractor is stuck down hill in slushy muddy snow , guess its going to sit there until it rains tonight and tomorrow and our power is out . Can't wait until good weather comes .

Ran the girls to the schools this morning. The neighbor amish girl brought out a new broom when I picked her up and it was a gift for me. She has one more day of school and that's it till the fall and said I get a gift then, too. She is so sweet she cracks me up.
Took the neighbor lady on her outing/errands to the bigger town, and we just got home. We went to her baby's doc appt, 4 month check up, that took awhile. Then on to Aldi, then she treated me to Chic fil a for being her driver today, then to Walmart. I brought the big truck and we filled it. I have alot of groceries to put away next.

I played with the pups, put flea collars on them (which was harder than it sounds), got mom some salad, and am taking a little break before I clean litterboxes again. Fippy is asleep next to me on his favorite pillow (it's also the favorite pillow of several of the cats).
My friend is going to try to come over tomorrow to help move the satellite dish to a taller pole so maybe we will stop getting signal interruptions every couple of minutes.

Resumed work on the spare room in the basement. Cleared the last of the debris. There was stuff in there left over from my great uncle when I purchased the place from my cousin... 25 years ago maybe. There had been a dryer duct running across the floor that we will never use.

I removed that duct and sealed up the hole through the wall. In the process I discovered a mouse sized hole in the flexible duct. THAT could answer the long standing question of how mice occasionally find their way into the house! At least that port is closed now.

That let me finally move the collection of arrows my son saved from the dumpster at the high school. The arrows all appear to be in good condition.

20220419_153347.jpg

There are 13 boxes of them.

20220419_153409_HDR.jpg

There is a steel I beam that may be a good place to install hooks for the bows.

20220419_153432_HDR.jpg

20220419_155334.jpg

I can also move The Princess's crossbow and the granddaughter's bows so they are all in one place.

I am torn on the 5' diameter target. It is too bulky to store in the house. I may up moving it to The Ridge since there is a nice place for an archery range at the bottom of the orchard. Big drawback would be 5he sun damaging the target over time.

That is also the area where we would be hunting deer and turkey. May as well practice in the same location. I think I just talked myself into it. ;)

Tomorrow should be storing the bows and maybe deploying the target.

A little bit every day.

Behave

Ben

Still recovering from a class I took saturday that involved prone, kneeling and standing while trying to stay on target. Definitely learned some stuff but my old body and knees are reminding me of past abuse. Then today I had a tooth extracted and they were able to install the base for a new bionic tooth. Had a really good doctor and too much pain but got some feel good pills so now even my knees stopped hurting.

Still recovering from a class I took saturday that involved prone, kneeling and standing while trying to stay on target. Definitely learned some stuff but my old body and knees are reminding me of past abuse. Then today I had a tooth extracted and they were able to install the base for a new bionic tooth. Had a really good doctor and too much pain but got some feel good pills so now even my knees stopped hurting.

I try to save the good stuff. They have helped others on those weekend when you cant get help.

Ben

Good News: I got my bronco back :dancing: It runs sooo much smoother. The only mechanical thing is that we are waiting for a fuel tank solenoid. When he gets that part in, he will replace that and pack the front bearings. Next he gets to go have a day at the spa (that's code for going to the body shop 😉). I'm so excited!
Crazy day at work today - don't think I finished a complete thought all day without interruption.

2 days sitting on a stool , laying flooring,(I can't get down on my bionic knees)

My wife thought I went crazy ( crazier, ) because I was going thru the house singing , screaming, " Everything is Beautiful" .
I just laid the last piece of flooring in my life...never , ever another piece .
I beat Satan, I walked away from a demon possessed , evil , haunted, room , that has been so hated .

ITS DONE ..., :clapping: :clapping: :thumbs::thumbs::woo hoo::woo hoo::dancing::dancing::Dancing Chicken::Dancing Chicken:

That shtinking utility room is done , so now I can move on to bigger, better , more pleasing , more satisfying, projects.

Maybe if I can even walk tomorrow , I'll get a picture.

I'll sleep good tonight.

Jim

2 days sitting on a stool , laying flooring,(I can't get down on my bionic knees)

My wife thought I went crazy ( crazier, ) because I was going thru the house singing , screaming, " Everything is Beautiful" .
I just laid the last piece of flooring in my life...never , ever another piece .
I beat Satan, I walked away from a demon possessed , evil , haunted, room , that has been so hated .

ITS DONE ..., :clapping: :clapping: :thumbs::thumbs::woo hoo::woo hoo::dancing::dancing::Dancing Chicken::Dancing Chicken:

That shtinking utility room is done , so now I can move on to bigger, better , more pleasing , more satisfying, projects.

I'll sleep good tonight.

Jim
Congrats! A huge sigh of relief.

I'll sleep good tonight.

Jim
WOW, WE CAN ALL CELEBRATE!! No more utility room drama!!😁🎉 Time to start planning those Christmas decorations!!

I'll sleep good tonight.

Jim
That's got to feel good! Congrats!

Today is cleanup day.
Put all tools away.
Drywall tools packed away , never to be used again.

See , when you get to a certain age....everything is either joyful or sad , when you say/think "this is the last time I'll do this".

Suppose to rain again this afternoon. Keeping the record going....rain at least every 7 days , since 1/1/2022.

Mostly a rest day today.

Wife has gotta go spend time with daughter to help out , after her knee surgery.

Eli and I may just go walking .
Y'all need any help...
Sorry , I'm retired .😁

Later

Jim

Today is cleanup day.
Put all tools away.
Drywall tools packed away , never to be used again.

See , when you get to a certain age....everything is either joyful or sad , when you say/think "this is the last time I'll do this".

Suppose to rain again this afternoon. Keeping the record going....rain at least every 7 days , since 1/1/2022.

Mostly a rest day today.

Wife has gotta go spend time with daughter to help out , after her knee surgery.

Eli and I may just go walking .
Y'all need any help...
Sorry , I'm retired .😁

Later

Jim
Great avatar pic!! 💗

Got home last night from work. Busy 6 days. Happy to report only 2 people in the hospital with COVID. One of them was my stroke patient who later died and is donating his organs --> and his test was positive and then negative x 2, so not really positive.
Lots of young kids getting in accidents lately and hurting themselves and others so badly. I don't remember it really being this bad before. It was week of sadness. I'm just recuperating today. Need to take stock of food, exercise a bit. Then if I feel up to it, continue to pack up for the move. Move day is getting here quick! I have 10 days off though, so I should get a good chunk done hopefully!

My tiller got away from me about halfway through tilling garden and ate a piece of chicken wire fence. My neighbor helped me cut the section away and disengage the tiller tines. I finished tilling and then patched the area of fencing. It is only to keep dogs out, so nothing fancy. Tomorrow, I will replant what I have ready.

Hope to get some pineapple in the dehydrator today if they have ripened up enough. I put them in a brown paper bag with a banana and closed it up this morning.

And the day goes on...

Picked up feed, 600 lbs. Unloaded it into the milkhouse. Laundry, cleaning, still putting away yesterday's Aldi and Walmart purchases. The plumber came and fixed a water pipe leak outside. Also put in a new hydrant handle and pole that I needed near the chicken run. I went to visit my favorite cousin while they were out, the water was turned off and who needs to look at lunch dishes? Grandson is going for his final tux fitting after school, husband at rehab. I just water all the new fruit trees, the garden where it's seeded, and the greenhouse plants. Ready to take a load off before cooking dinner.

I devised a prototype for a hanger for the bows that will hang from an I beam. But quickly realized I had to anneal the rod (salvaged product hangers from a store that was closing) due to breaking when I straightened it out.

Before
20220420_140449_HDR.jpg

After
20220420_141554.jpg

Annealing did the trick.

20220420_150421_HDR.jpg

20220420_150450_HDR.jpg

I proceeded to mass producing duplicates.

20220420_160953_HDR.jpg

I am sure that rushing the work didn't help but my the precision of my metal forming skills suck. :rolleyes:

Two of the 7 fit the I beam. The rest not so much. Needless to say I did not get to the archery range.

Tomorrow refit the funky hangers and consolidate the bow collection and maybe get to the archery range project.

All is not lost. Just not done yet.

Ben

Ben, I wish I had your skills with metalworking. As it is, I need to figure out a solution to better stabilize my satellite dish. Put it on a 10' pole and put it in a mount on the eaves but the eaves are wiggling a bit-- guess the wood isn't as tough as I thought. It clears the tree enough to not be obstructed but it wobbles a bit and signal is unstable. I want to figure out how to rig some sort of support braces.

So, today I cleaned litterboxes, washed dishes, organized tools, helped put the pole up, had a ladder dropped on my head by my brother bc he was playing around and not being careful, chased puppies when they were stealing tools, got tools & stuff at TSC, cooked dinner, and am now exhausted.

Up at 5 this morning and got an upside down black forest cake in the oven first.
Walked.
Made a cast iron skillet of "Grits and cheese bread" Looks great!
This is for the senior club at Church.
Going there at 10 to set up and will be there until all is cleaned and shut down.
Take a couple of plates to shut ins.
Will re-plant in garden this afternoon.
I think that's it for the day.

Latest posts

Back