What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Long day. Animal chores and baby cage scrubbing. The little goslings are doing well with the one lone survivor goose (from the raccoon attack). Even though she might notice soon that they are not Toulose geese like she is, but are african. Ha. Went to register little granddaughter for school after lunch, and that was a disorganized mess. Someone in the district thought our little school of about 45 students (K thru 8), and half of them are amish, would do better registering on laptops instead of paper. The site was not working right. I asked for paper and brought it home and filled it out and returned it later. Next, on to the bigger town with husband to have his bloodwork done. Went to our little amish grocery for a bushel of fresh green beans to freeze dry, went to the post office. Then to the bigger town to Walmart and Aldi. Was pooped. Came home near dinnertime, over 100 degrees (still) outside, so called in dinner for pickup at our local place. That took awhile because a tour bus came in, I've never seen the place so full in my life. Ha. Daughter still hasn't made it here from Dubuque. She's partying in Kansas City. Might show up tomorrow. Might not.

our not so old HP2652 all in one printer is a piece of crap, we're going to check out other brands, with all the trouble we've had with HP printers the last decade, I'm really starting to hate them.

I've had cannon's for more than a decade, no trouble out of any of them. After a couple years the ink prices start getting higher. If the ink price gets within $50 of a new printer, I just get a new one. The old cartridges get harder to find and continue going up in price. The cartridges for the new printer are cheaper... Works out about the same year over year cost wise but I have a new printer.

Oh, I always wait until the month the new models come out, but i buy last years printer which is always discounted big time... last time I walked out with a TR 8520 for $120. Gave my old one to a cousin, she's still using it.

-------------------------------------------

Spent several hours* on the phone trying to track down a part i need for the tractor... which is no longer available from the mfg. I'm going to have to track down my own replacement from an industrial supplier. *(power went off 3x today, so I had repeat phone calls 🤬 )

I have what i think is the dimension number. Guess I'll find out when i get a id sup on the line.

Oh, cleaned most of the stove, still have the grates to go, got something constructive done.

Took the boat out to the lake again today. Had a picnic under some old cottonwood trees. It was the site of an 1800's homestead. One of these days we'll bring our metal detectors out with us.
There wasn't another person on the lake or anywhere in the area.
The granddaughter found a stone ax head while swimming. In the early days there was a large Indian camp in this area too. We found some chips on the beach, but no arrowheads today. The water level needs to drop another 10 feet or so to find the good ones.
Late in the afternoon some thunderheads blew in so we packed the boat up and left. Hit some rain on the way home.
20230728_135528.jpg

Last edited:
Sunday night I ordered some new heat transfer prints for Tshirts and they arrived today. I have the golf and horse prints in black and the others in pink or grey. I spent most the evening sorting through more shirts by size to stack on the shelves in my trailer I use at our farmers market.
Our small communities does NOT have a country club or equine club but I am hoping both local and tourist golfers and riders will get a laugh and make the purchase. I already posted them on our local page to get the word out.
I have several other novelty designs for our community so hopefully if sales go well I will place another order for the other designs.

Attachments

• Classy Sassy.jpg
    Classy Sassy.jpg
    39.8 KB
  • Country Club.jpg
    Country Club.jpg
    26.7 KB
  • Crazy Chicken Lady.jpg
    Crazy Chicken Lady.jpg
    37.4 KB
  • Equine Club.jpg
    Equine Club.jpg
    30.4 KB
  • Pine Valley deer.jpg
    Pine Valley deer.jpg
    16.2 KB
  • Pine Valley Mtn.jpg
    Pine Valley Mtn.jpg
    40.6 KB
Baking bread for the market today. It rained all day yesterday and our internet was off and on. Plus we have a sick lamb. The poor little guy keeps falling down , staggering and not eating well. We've had a goat with something like this and according to vet it was either goat polio ( vitamin B deficiency) or listeria ( a bacteria) and after shots of B and antibiotics the goat got better. So I am doing the same for the lamb but he seems to not be getting better. Also gave him a shot of selenium and E but nothing seems to be working. Don't think he will make it. We seem to lose at least 1 lamb or sheep each year to something. The goats are much more resistant to anything

It's cold and wet here ( mid 60s yesterday, should warm up to mid 70s today)

Ben, I love the color of the door! Looks similar to what I'll be painting the front door (back door- that needs to be installed-- is already painted blue).
Mom wants the casing to be blue as well. Not sure how that will look.

Got up early and scrubbed the door clean. Put on a coat of primer on the casing first, then the door. Was absolutely drenched in sweat before I even started on the door, but I got it done. I think I need a 2nd coat. I posted in the photos thread.

I'm in need of a nap but need to go pull the tape off so it doesn't peel primer off. Will have to re-tape again after 2nd coat. That will either be this evening if the wasps stay away or tomorrow morning. I'll use a roller for the main paint.

Maybe. I've never been to Sturgis. I can tell you that there are way too many middle age people wearing spandex bike shorts on RAGBRAI, kind of like the middle age people in leather in all the Sturgis pictures I've seen...
I agree. 🤣. But then my mind went to this……I’ll bet most of the female cyclists were wearing bras. At Sturgis I’ve seen tons of older female biker chicks wearing braless halter tops. 🥴🤣

The heat is supposed to ratchet back up into triple digits today, and stay that way for at least a few days... ugh. I'm SO ready for fall to arrive, this has been a tough summer compared to last year. I keep telling myself I'll go for a check ride on the bike, but by the time I'm done watering the sun is beatin' down something fierce, and all I wanna do is go inside and walk into the shower. When I was younger, I used to look forward to summer, now I can't wait for it to be done. A sure sign of age, lol... ;)

Meh, I have plenty of food & beer in the fridge, so I can ride out the BS for awhile... I'm not even thinking about doing that last bit of work in the kitchen, it'll get done whenever I get around to it. Might be friggin' September before that happens, if this stupid heat keeps up the way it has. I've already lost many plants in the garden, and the corn is taking a beating, I don't think it's gonna make it despite watering twice a day. F#% it, I'll never plant it again. The watermelon plants seem to be the hardiest, go figure... 🤔

Wake "N" bake. making trailer park sloppy Joes.
Hamburger meat, onion, peppers, mushrooms, and spaghetti sauce
on a bun with mozzarella all up in one meat patty. If you make one use Teflon or LOTS of garlic pepper oil.

Hey, Magus, remember 'The Teflon Don?' The mobster with that moniker? I guess prosecutors could never make any charges stick, lol... 'The Teflon Don' must have been a slippery character! Probably in high office now... 😒

I'm waiting for the temp to cool before watering tonight, might watch a movie here in a moment... 😬

Wake "N" bake. making trailer park sloppy Joes.
Hamburger meat, onion, peppers, mushrooms, and spaghetti sauce
on a bun with mozzarella all up in one meat patty. If you make one use Teflon or LOTS of garlic pepper oil.
As burgers, they flopped, as ramen spaghetti, they rock!

Just made some bean dip
3 cans red beans, smashed, smashed,
Add a packet of taco seasoning
Couple tablespoons garlic powder
If you have any Cajun seasoning toss some in
E in
I just warm up a can of refried beans and mix in a large shot of Italian dressing and a spoonful of jalapeno relish. sometimes I drain a can of Rotel tomatoes and peppers and mix it in.

Did they have to go through the working area to get to the cooler?
No. At this bar, which was called Ole's, the cooler door was at the end of the bar, and both ends of the bar were open. I assume they simply walked past the end of the bar and went in. It's the only place in the bar that would be private. I never liked the idea of getting it on in a walk in cooler like that. 36° temps do not mix well with bare butts...

No. At this bar, which was called Ole's, the cooler door was at the end of the bar, and both ends of the bar were open. I assume they simply walked past the end of the bar and went in. It's the only place in the bar that would be private. I never liked the idea of getting it on in a walk in cooler like that. 36° temps do not mix well with bare butts...
Ah come on Spike. That cool temps makes close body contact kinda nice. Backpacking in cold weather teaches things like that. :ghostly:

Long day. They are harvesting onions 🧅 from the fields on 2 sides of us so we have “air freshener.” 😂
Trying to get computer work done with lots of interruptions, then also trying to get the house semi cleaned while things were loading 😵‍💫
It’s cooler today which is nice- cloudy so also kinda muggy.

Latest posts

Back