What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally had a busy day at home outside and with 4leggers
Now I will soak in warm bath--- sucking some vodka
and watching computer at the same time a political on Youtube
I hope Miss Ruben will shut up tonight and let me sleep

If you go to bed ...well have a relaxing night
I need one too 🐱🥃🧸❤️💤

I too had some Vodka today!!! It kicked my ass and sent me to the bedroom for a nap! No, I'm not a lightweight ... pups woke me up at 3am to go out, and then got up at 7am ... so I was sleep deprived .... lololol

Been a busy day. Power went out last night. I was buying stuff to try to get the generator cleaned up and running again. The switch to go from generator to grid power is messed up so we need a new one. Might need an electrician out for that.

I unloaded and organized a bunch of stuff from the truck. Tomorrow I will go through the bins I filled with plumbing fittings and stuff to make sure we have everything we need, but we will be focusing on electrical first. Friend is taking the day off work to help.

Door lever came off when I went to open the door to go outside. It went back on and I was still able to open the door, but that needs to be replaced/fixed. Thinking of getting one with a digital pad on it. I kind of miss the style with the tongue you push down that is used on some entry doors, but don't know how hard or easy that would be to push to get the door open when arms are full of groceries. I remember our house in California had that style.

Went to McDonalds to get breakfast but the manager canceled all breakfast orders before breakfast period ended and did not give a crap about the customers. She was pretty rude and didn't apologize to anyone. She also screwed me by taking one of my double sandwiches out of the bag and having them replace it with a single even though I paid for a double and I don't know why she did that. I checked the order on my phone and it said I had doubles. So, that will be something to put on the online review.

Went to the hardware store and got to pet a pretty black kitty that was hanging out near the back while I was back there getting some pressure treated 2x4s to use to mount the sub panel. Got a few other things for the generator. Staff in there are always very helpful and friendly and they carried stuff to my truck for me even though I didn't ask.

Unloaded a bunch of the car parts and stuff into the workshop. Unloaded a few other things to the shed next to the pump house, put some stuff in the pump house, and got bins full of plumbing fittings and electrical stuff loaded up. Tomorrow I will go through and organize all of the parts.

At least the rain runoff filled a 5 gallon bucket for me to flush toilets. Cleaner than the water from the cistern too.

I spent some time trying to help Mom get a massive mat of knotted hair out of her head. I'd got her some detangler spray and I made some progress on it with a comb but my hand kept slipping and bumping her head. She joked that I was punching her in the head. I'd done it about 4 times so I kissed her on the forehead 5 times and said "That's for the times I accidentally punched you and the last one was for the next time bc I'm a klutz". Didn't hit hard though, just a tap, but she joked that I was beating her up. I told her it was revenge for when she brushed my hair and pulled really hard when I was a kid. Fippy kept growling at me until Mom got him up on her lap where he promptly fell asleep.

Another highlight of the day was sharing food with Princess, Boo, and Itsy. Itsy thanked me by snuggling my face and licking my forehead.

My brother went over to crash at our friend's house to have some air conditioning before he has to go to work. Friend's cat decided to park his butt on my brother's lap and friend was happy bc the cat was off his lap for a change.

I'm totally drenched with sweat and will likely take my friend up on his offer to go shower at his house. Might have to buy some clean clothes since I can't do laundry yet. His washing machine is on the fritz.

So, I'm cooling off and sitting with Ginger on my lap for now.

Been a busy day. Power went out last night. I was buying stuff to try to get the generator cleaned up and running again. The switch to go from generator to grid power is messed up so we need a new one. Might need an electrician out for that.

I unloaded and organized a bunch of stuff from the truck. Tomorrow I will go through the bins I filled with plumbing fittings and stuff to make sure we have everything we need, but we will be focusing on electrical first. Friend is taking the day off work to help.

Door lever came off when I went to open the door to go outside. It went back on and I was still able to open the door, but that needs to be replaced/fixed. Thinking of getting one with a digital pad on it. I kind of miss the style with the tongue you push down that is used on some entry doors, but don't know how hard or easy that would be to push to get the door open when arms are full of groceries. I remember our house in California had that style.

Went to McDonalds to get breakfast but the manager canceled all breakfast orders before breakfast period ended and did not give a crap about the customers. She was pretty rude and didn't apologize to anyone. She also screwed me by taking one of my double sandwiches out of the bag and having them replace it with a single even though I paid for a double and I don't know why she did that. I checked the order on my phone and it said I had doubles. So, that will be something to put on the online review.

Went to the hardware store and got to pet a pretty black kitty that was hanging out near the back while I was back there getting some pressure treated 2x4s to use to mount the sub panel. Got a few other things for the generator. Staff in there are always very helpful and friendly and they carried stuff to my truck for me even though I didn't ask.

Unloaded a bunch of the car parts and stuff into the workshop. Unloaded a few other things to the shed next to the pump house, put some stuff in the pump house, and got bins full of plumbing fittings and electrical stuff loaded up. Tomorrow I will go through and organize all of the parts.

At least the rain runoff filled a 5 gallon bucket for me to flush toilets. Cleaner than the water from the cistern too.

I spent some time trying to help Mom get a massive mat of knotted hair out of her head. I'd got her some detangler spray and I made some progress on it with a comb but my hand kept slipping and bumping her head. She joked that I was punching her in the head. I'd done it about 4 times so I kissed her on the forehead 5 times and said "That's for the times I accidentally punched you and the last one was for the next time bc I'm a klutz". Didn't hit hard though, just a tap, but she joked that I was beating her up. I told her it was revenge for when she brushed my hair and pulled really hard when I was a kid. Fippy kept growling at me until Mom got him up on her lap where he promptly fell asleep.

Another highlight of the day was sharing food with Princess, Boo, and Itsy. Itsy thanked me by snuggling my face and licking my forehead.

My brother went over to crash at our friend's house to have some air conditioning before he has to go to work. Friend's cat decided to park his butt on my brother's lap and friend was happy bc the cat was off his lap for a change.

I'm totally drenched with sweat and will likely take my friend up on his offer to go shower at his house. Might have to buy some clean clothes since I can't do laundry yet. His washing machine is on the fritz.

So, I'm cooling off and sitting with Ginger on my lap for now.
Now that's a handful!
Best part was petting the kitty though right!😻😻

Didn't find any guinea keets at the fowl sale, but came home with a new family addition...13 week old male Red Heeler. We've named him Rowdy. He's going to be farm and family trained.
I’m thinking of getting some Guinea keets soon. The farmer I buy eggs from is hatching some. I want something that will eat the ticks here. But I change my mind almost daily. I have never raised any chickens and I’m not sure I know how to brood the chicks. I’m not sure I want to clean a coop. I have difficulty walking on uneven ground. I’m not sure I know how to train them to go into the coop every night. So many things I’m unsure if. But then I find a tick on my or me or my husband and I’m hellbent on getting the guineas. 🥵

Last edited:
I use a rubbermaid tote and attach a heat lamp. Feed them game bird starter. They can be moved to something bigger when they're about 3 weeks, like a transitional cage or inside a coop. Let them roam free when they're about 4 months old. You'll still put game bird feed and a waterer out when they're running free. But they'll slowly stop needing the feed...unless it's winter.

I’m thinking of getting some Guinea meets soon. The farmer I buy eggs from is hatching some. I want something that will eat the ticks here. But I change my mind almost daily. I have never raised any chickens and I’m not sure I know how to brood the chicks. I’m not sure I want to clean a coop. I have difficulty walking on uneven ground. I’m not sure I know how to train them to go into the coop every night. So many things I’m unsure if. But then I find a tick on my or my husband and I’m hellbent on getting the guineas. 🥵

Look through the barnyard critters board here in the forum. Most of us with chickens have discuss raising them in great detail. Lots of threads, might give you some ideas.

I’m thinking of getting some Guinea meets soon. The farmer I buy eggs from is hatching some. I want something that will eat the ticks here. But I change my mind almost daily. I have never raised any chickens and I’m not sure I know how to brood the chicks. I’m not sure I want to clean a coop. I have difficulty walking on uneven ground. I’m not sure I know how to train them to go into the coop every night. So many things I’m unsure if. But then I find a tick on my or my husband and I’m hellbent on getting the guineas. 🥵
I use a heat lamp and a round galvanized wash tub to get the little peepers started.. I raise chickens and they are death on grasshoppers and anything else moving that is smaller than them..
At least with chickens they will return by themseves to the coop every night at dusk if there is a place to roost. Otherwise they can be found in a tree..
I live where it is dry and cold for the majority of the year so I maybe clean out the coop once a year. I have them running around in a fairly large fenced area and in the summer I let them keep the garden free of hoppers etc.
We do tours in the woods for paying customers each summer and the best bug and tick repelant we have found has eucalyptus oil in it . Keeps the bugs away and is non harmfull.
The birds are great fun to just watch...

Attachments

• aaaaaaaaaaaaachieken.jpg
    aaaaaaaaaaaaachieken.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 0
Been a hectic year, a hectic month, and a hectic week, followed by a very busy day today. I just finished printing my displays for this years T-shirt designs, loaded all the artwork into the workshop trailer and the cooler filled with about 20 dozen fresh eggs to sell at the Farmer's Market in the morning. I am hoping for a good, busy day tomorrow.
After yesterdays news I ordered a bunch more patriotic type prints that will be available next week, here in Southern Utah most folk are pretty annoyed at the political BS, but that is for another thread topic.
Here is what I have for the good folk tomorrow.

Now, time for a couple of good drinks, a shower, and some much needed pillow time.
Sweet dreams. I hope all ya'all have a great day tomorrow.

Attachments

• America designs.jpg
    America designs.jpg
    8.9 MB · Views: 0
  • Fun Designs.jpg
    Fun Designs.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 0
  • Fun2.jpg
    Fun2.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 0
  • Pine Valley Central.jpg
    Pine Valley Central.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • Steamboat Willie.jpg
    Steamboat Willie.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Western.jpg
    Western.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
This website is full of helpful information.
https://www.mypetchicken.com/

There are also many informative videos online about getting started with chickens and keeping them healthy naturally. Our girls use a bit of apple cider vinegar in the water on a regular basis, and feed them various natural products like oregano that help prevent disease and keep them healthy. There are many videos that cover the natural approach. I don't know them but if a search for videos doesn't find good information I can ask the girls for suggestions.
On a rare occasion we have to give Penicillin to one for an infection but then we wait a while after the infection clears before harvesting that chickens eggs again. We have never used vaccines on any of or chickens, ducks, turkeys, or our goose and never had more than one bird sick at a time.

As for teaching them to go home at night, after you raise them a bit in a box or shelter when they are big enough you put them on their roost in the chicken coop after dark and the next morning they wake up and know where home is. You may need to herd them in for a few nights but it wont take long for them to head in at dark every night. As for cleaning the coop, make a shelf under the roost, 2x4's for a frame and a sheet of plywood for the bottom, and use cheap construction sand in the shelf to collect the droppings. You can scoop out the poop and toss it in a compost pile a few times a week. Depending on how many birds you have replace the sand every few months. The old sand can be scattered around anywhere you see fit. Our shelf is made to be removed from the coop so a few times a year it can be hosed off and disinfected with pinesol or a similar soap.

I bought a 10'x10' cyclone fence dog kennel for our enclosure, put a wood slat roof over the top (with a pitch for rain/snow to run off) and used hardware cloth (wire) to make sure there were no large openings to keep cats and other critters out. I stacked rocks around the bottom to prevent other critters from digging in, so far the skunks and raccoons have not caused a problem in our 5 years of fun. I cut an opening in the fence to let them gain access to our chicken coop so they can go in at night and out in the morning. Make sure the coop has ventilation to let air flow through, but not so much as to let rain or hard wind inside. If you want more open range space you can fence an area around the kennel and open the gate during the day. The chickens will know where home is, where the supplied food is, and they wont wander far if you choose not to fence them in. One more suggestion, of you do choose the fence in their run use 5' tall welded wire fence to keep out dogs and other critters. Again, stack dirt and rocks around the bottom to prevent digging under the fence.

Got up, worked out, waited to use my own latrine then found that latrine occupier sleeping on my sofa. Now I am just wasting some time on the net. I have a short but lucrative PSD this afternoon and then the lady has a list of chores for the two of us to work on.

Wife had me painting the trim on the house.🤬
But I did get some Jerusalem Artichokes replanted outside the fence for the deer. Also put out some corn for them.
Tomorrow,
more painting.😔
Put some Apples out for Them also... :lightbulb:

coffee, then stuff, thinking that I am witnessing a higher degree of anxiety in every body the inflation is beyond stupid, but the gov say no inflation, and the TV news believers just keep on believing.

Last edited:
coffee, then stuff, thinking that I am witnessing a higher degree of anxiety in every body the inflation is beyond stupid, but the gov say no inflation, and the TV news believers just keep on believing.
So do the TV News Reporters but that is for another thread...!!! :waiting:

Back to the guineas. I have blue bird nest boxes and they raise their babies here every year. Will the bluebirds have trouble finding bugs to feed their chicks if the guineas eat them all?
Is there a reason your wanting Guinea hens as opposed to chickens?
I've never had any of the guineas, my friends have had them though twice and lost both flocks.
My take away from their experiences was they are bigger birds, alarms are loud, they tend to roam and venture out more , not as friendly as the chickens and they had a hard time getting them to go in the coop as opposed to trees. Unfortunately, this experience didnt last long because they got picked off by predators at night even up in trees. They were all hand raised.
They did do a great job eating bugs..but didnt work out well for the other reasons once they were adults.
My small flock of chickens n turkeys do a great job with the bugs , mice and snakes, they are friendly and I get eggs and garden fertilizer from them.
I dont know if my friends experience with Guinea hens are the norm or just how their place is set up and how they did it. It just seemed that chickens were a better fit.
Has anyone had similar experiences with Guinea hens?
I'm wondering if chickens or turkeys would be better for you but it all depends on your set up and what your wanting in the end.
I just hope starting out first time with these birds doesn't end in disappointment and turn you off to experiencing the joys of other types of birds that can do bug patrol just as well n not be such a pita to manage.

Latest posts

Back