What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ugh, that avatar, Hashbrown.
We drove daughter all the way to the airport, well, five minutes out, and she gets a text from United Airlines saying the plane is delayed because weather in Houston is bad. So a two hr delay, would get her to Houston, but stuck there, missing her flight to Seattle and no more available for the evening. So back home with her. An hr and a half of driving. So, we'll be trying again tomorrow, leaving at 730 am, her layover in Denver, then into Seattle. She did say she was happy to come back and have dinner. The roast was smelling good.
You made me look 👀🤨 thanks (sarcasm). I noticed he changed it but couldn’t tell what it was until I clicked on it. I didn’t need to see that 😂.
Safe travels to daughter 🙏

Plumber left at 8:30 pm.

He had 3 other guys to help put the 450 lb tub in place over the floor drain. They had to do it twice because the first time the tub was rocking on the drain (drain tube too long). Success on the second try. He comes back Monday to finish up. Also having problems with the shower diverter. Never ending.

I've had a fantastic day.
Me n the pups took a hike up a trail..then down..beautiful scenery and they had a few splashes into the creek.
I hit the thrift store. Was looking for a cheese grater and coffee grinder but found other things like;
Fabric for my rugs
Misc nails, plant hangers metal pet bowls
A few rubber stamps for card making
A 1961 sunset cookbook! Score! Still has handwritten recipes in it like buttercake..
now I'm drinking a cold one n hanging out by the pool..doggie pool..but still..lol
A storm is comming in so I'm catching the cool breeze n colorful clouds of sunset..
Cheers!

Attachments

• 20240601_123656.jpg
    20240601_123656.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240601_204235.jpg
    20240601_204235.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240601_204247.jpg
    20240601_204247.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240601_125203.jpg
    20240601_125203.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240601_123345.jpg
    20240601_123345.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240601_122626.jpg
    20240601_122626.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240601_193546.jpg
    20240601_193546.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Painted more today,😞😞cut grass neglected my garden again. I did find a old army canteen complete with cup and handle and pouch, 1944, needs cleaning inside, looks like a little rust or just discolored, any suggestions on cleaning it?
that would be the steel one right?
fill it with a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. DO NOT PUT THE CAP ON! If there is rust and glop inside, there will be hydrogen gas as it gets eaten. you can moisten a rag with the vinegar and drape it over any outside rust spots to dissolve them. afterward, rinse well in boiling water and let dry out upside down in the dish rack.

Painted more today,😞😞cut grass neglected my garden again. I did find a old army canteen complete with cup and handle and pouch, 1944, needs cleaning inside, looks like a little rust or just discolored, any suggestions on cleaning it?
Salt, baking soda, and hot water! Teaspoon of table salt, Tablespoon of baking soda, add hot water so there is a couple of inches of room, SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE! RINSE THOROUGHLY!

Salt, baking soda, and hot water! Teaspoon of table salt, Tablespoon of baking soda, add hot water so there is a couple of inches of room, SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE! RINSE THOROUGHLY!
I read about the salt and hot water but it didn't say anything about baking soda. But adding baking soda does make better sense. Thanks, I'll try that also.

Heading to the pillow, Hope All can get a Good Night's Sleep...!!!

iu

that would be the steel one right?
fill it with a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. DO NOT PUT THE CAP ON! If there is rust and glop inside, there will be hydrogen gas as it gets eaten. you can moisten a rag with the vinegar and drape it over any outside rust spots to dissolve them. afterward, rinse well in boiling water and let dry out upside down in the dish rack.
This won't cause a chemical reaction and spill out of the canteen will it? I'm guessing when you say a 50/50 mix, it's half a canteen of white vinegar and the other half hydrogen peroxide.

I've had a fantastic day.
Me n the pups took a hike up a trail..then down..beautiful scenery and they had a few splashes into the creek.
I hit the thrift store. Was looking for a cheese grater and coffee grinder but found other things like;
Fabric for my rugs
Misc nails, plant hangers metal pet bowls
A few rubber stamps for card making
A 1961 sunset cookbook! Score! Still has handwritten recipes in it like buttercake..
now I'm drinking a cold one n hanging out by the pool..doggie pool..but still..lol
A storm is comming in so I'm catching the cool breeze n colorful clouds of sunset..
Cheers!
Awesome day, for you and the pups!!😃

This won't cause a chemical reaction and spill out of the canteen will it? I'm guessing when you say a 50/50 mix, it's half a canteen of white vinegar and the other half hydrogen peroxide.

Great evenings work yesterday; my lads finished emptying the last compost bin and cleared weeds/nettles from a planting area. Everything is now covered, I'll rest some of the beds.
Today is cooking day, in prep for family dinner tomorrow, and later continuing putting out seedlings. Bank holiday here, which is great- no leaving the house :D

I'd do it in a sink or outdoors in case there was something extra funky in your canteen like dried-up juice or soda. you could just use a cup of each and see, then swish it around or fill the rest of the way up.

Peracetic acid is what you will have with the vinegar and hydrogen peroxide, It will just combine with the oxygen in the rust and boil like Hydrogen peroxide boils on a cut.

I would not fill it Just put enough in there to slosh or turn and not get it on you, wear safety glasses.
Good catch. sometimes I forget not everyone took basic chemistry.
OH. save the leftover stuff, if it's not too grungy it makes a good grass stain remover!

did too much yesterday, now I am sore. Helped husband fix the brushhog, it was missing some bolts. That thing is super heavy to lift up!!
Son usually helps but he is still sick. If he is not better soon I think he might need to go to the doctor
So we brushhoged 2 pastures , had to move temporary fencing on one. Weedeated what the tractor couldn't reach or too steep.

So no gardening got done, but we decided the mowing was more important since it is raining today. The tall grass would just lay flat and then you can't do anything with it. We have so many animals in there, surprised the grass and weeds were even that high. The extra pasture we fenced in and use for rotation must be working on keeping enough grass everywhere, or it's been raining a lot while I was gone

Then we were going to put the momma goats and babies in the barn ( they still go in at night) and the newest little mom lost her baby. We looked everywhere for that little stinker. Talked to the neighbor on the other side of the fence ( they have goats again also) and he finally spotted the little goat kid sleeping on a rock. He is very quit and doesn't respond by making a lot of noise like the other ones. Seems ok otherwise.

So today maybe some gardening. I need to plant the peppers I got at the hardware store

Today is Sunday, so church followed by getting ready for a busy week. I'm trying to get the garden irrigation system operational because I am going to be spending more time away from the house this month. If I can get the garden onto auto-pilot it will be much better. Tomorrow starts a "suit" week working downtown, that means a week of leaving the house around 05:00 getting home between 20:00 and 24:00 depending on the evening events on the schedule. The good news is I will be off on Friday. The end of June I will be going north for a week, Ontario, for work. I like the work and the people, but my garden usually suffers if I'm not around to keep it going.....

My only goal today to to paint about 15 ft of trim & one post. (The wife wants them white instead of beige color). The problem is that we "could" have rain (according to the weather report) all day long. Now I know that it won't rain but I don't want to take a chance. So I guess that I don't have any goals for today.

Woke up, worked out, took a shower, played grab ass with some lady in a robe as she went to to do same, collected my laptop and am now sitting here on what we pretend is a patio wasting my life away until such time as the full dressed lady appears with a big container of what she pretends is coffee. After that who knows, hopefully nothing.

Latest posts

Back