What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was in my chair covered up with a blanket like an old man Alexandra called me to dinner I got up tripped over the blanket and ran my head into the hardwood floor. The sandwich was great though!

View attachment 158931
thats a sandwich you will remember for a while,

I think I might be in the twilight zone, I hear thunder from my north windows and can small Hay curing from the south windows :confused2:

and my car have no AC :rolleyes: I drive open window
Mine, either. And in Southwestern Mississippi, that is no joke with all our humidity!

Already walked with Bo and then walked dogs.
Went to local grocery to drop off some banana bread and Dollar General for DH.
Cleaned bathrooms at Church and straightened hymnals.
Next, will pull up what is left of my sad little garden in lick tubs.
Label and put away canned 4 bean salad.

@Neb I just received the spray yesterday so haven’t had a chance to use it yet.
106* out there right now so just going out to move water. Supposed to cloud up and be muggy tonight 🥴
We are going to try out 45% vinegar.

45% Pure Vinegar - Concentrated Industrial Grade (1-Gallon) https://a.co/d/2Zojir0

20240803_112800_HDR.jpg

Ben

Now that Dad’s home from the hospital, everything seems to be semi back to normal. Had to take my favorite necklace that I wear every day to the jeweler. The clasp broke. And it’s gonna cost a pretty penny. Thanks to the price of gold. Went food shopping at Lidl. Getting ready to do laundry and work in the garden. Going to be in the 90’s today and expecting rain later.

Sipping coffee.
Working on monkey.
Been plotting out crime scene on graph paper.
Conferred with other members of our team.
The dimensions,notes,reports are not aligned.
Not even close to being aligned.
It's going to be a long day rereading reports, case files, case doodles cause I've been up since 0600 hours.
And yes sonya, I hear about the fact I still actively use military jargon from my sons and family members.
I'll have cook something today, but not sure what as of yet.

Took the OLD-OLD Kawasaki Bayou 300 gas tank, carb and all of the fuel related things apart to clean, replace what needs it and get it back up to running right because the gas just started pouring out of the carb when I turned the cutoff on a month ago.

This thing is on the second set of tires being dry rotted, the gas lines and vent lines are dry rotted and I just replaced the brake hoses.

I am going to do the clutch for the second time and put a new centrifugal clutch on it while I am at it the lining on the weights has BEEN gone.

Got all the stuff, and waiting for it to cool and humidity to ease off.

I was out there about an hour and 15 minutes taking down the tank, carb and the body.

Now back together will be a different story the clutch takes about 3 hours and then we will put the carb and tank back on, less than a half day to rebuild the whole thing.

OOH, long day. Animal and garden and greenhouse chores, then we went into the bigger town to get Subway...husband wanted it...and has anybody noticed the price? Oh my. $56 to feed the 4 of us, and we didn't get much. Took the sandwiches to the big park in that town (with the dog) and had a picnic. Then to the little zoo across the way, since daughter had not been thru it before. Then from there, the hr drive to the airport, dropped her off, and the hr drive home. Wiped out for sure. Have to get dinner rounded up and check on all the baby feed and water in the milkhouse. Two turkeys and 30 guinea babies in there at the moment. Another rabbit should be due in a few days.

I haven't done much today..not really motivated to do either..
I should have coffee..that might help.
Coffee then run down to check my friends critters and stop by the store..
Then catch up on news
I had several coffee on your behalf, so the planet will stay on it's axis for another day :brewing:

Worked my 11 hour shift and got out of Dodge before anyone could tell me to stay longer. The sun is brutal and the equipment wasn't running right. Plus, the mechanic for the area is off for the weekend, and I haven't ever run this equipment before so I have no clue how to troubleshoot it or fix it, and I probably don't have the right parts anyway.

My arms are so cooked that my skin is tingling. There hasn't been a cloud in the sky for 3 days now and even though I tan well, I'm scorched from the sun. Tomorrow should be a bit better, I guess, and then at 5pm Monday it's time to hit the road and head for home. I can be home in less than 3 hours so it shouldn't even be dark when I get there. Then I'll have 7 days off and I can recuperate from working 13 out of 14 days.

Have a good evening, everybody. I'm out!!!

had a good day at the market today, sold out of everything just about except meat which we always have
sold all the bread, and eggs, plus the chickens we butchered a few days ago ( around $20 each)
Came home and made cheeseburgers and fries for lunch plus tomato and cuke salad from the garden.
Hope everyone had a good Saturday

Mine, either. And in Southwestern Mississippi, that is no joke with all our humidity!
only one of our vehicles ( the newest, 2012 Traverse) has functioning ac , but that's ok, we just roll down the windows.
I could get it fixed but it's too hard on the old engine probably, not worth it

Btw. the Yukon is still starting up so far, so it must have been the defective relay

Made cheese this morning. It’s in the press. Got my sourdough mixed up and stretched and in the fridge until morning. Mowed the main part of the lawn last night when I came home from work. Today used the little mower to do around the side of the house and pulled a bunch of weeds and grass.
@Neb I just received the spray yesterday so haven’t had a chance to use it yet.
106* out there right now so just going out to move water. Supposed to cloud up and be muggy tonight 🥴
what milk do you use and what type of cheese are you making? Since we still haven't managed to seperate the BIG baby goats from the milk goat mom, I don't have milk to make cheese with but would like to make some. I wonder if it would work with store milk

In late june while on the way back from playing music on the mtn I saw a road sign. It referenced a lake in an area I’ve never really searched for medicinal plants. I drove through there once several years ago. Didn’t see any unusual plants so shelved it for a later time. It’s sort of out of the way, not on the routes I normally take.

Since june I’ve driven several of the dirt roads through the area, systematically searching grids I laid out on a map. Had a few promising leads that sort of fizzled. Was able to search a few farms… not worth my time.

Monday I met a couple, nice folks with a big interest in medicinal plants. They have 70acres on the main creek through the area. Haven’t searched it yet but it’s very promising. I did get permission to search the creek along the edge of their farm. It’s loaded with medicines.

Yesterday and today I harvested crossvine on a 2nd property. Best place I’ve found for crossvine in 20yrs. Also yesterday, got permission to search a 3rd farm. Score!!! 160acres on the same creek. Still haven’t met the head of the family but this could be a place I can harvest from for many years. It’s perfect, easy access, loads of medicines and not too far out of the way.

So, I’m exhausted, sore, had a close call with a cottonmouth on monday then danced with heat stroke yesterday… but it looks like I’m gonna have about 400acres on a great creek to harvest from for years to come. I’m a happy camper!!! 😊 Did I mention the ticks? They were a bummer... 🤬

We’ve been having thunderstorms and torrential rains on and off all afternoon. Forecast says until 9pm.

Canned up excess green beans from the garden. Got 8 pints all sealed. Still trying to sort out everything I neglected for the past week.

Saturday 3rd of August 2024
9.32 pm

The month will be so long =
4 more weeks before jumping into September :confused:

All the fur family are cared and quiet now
I ate the same thing like yesterday (no more all gone now)

71f but 82% humidity :(
I will open a Sam Adams :)

And wish you to sleep in the cool

💞 The snow song

Dang HB, Need to slow down going for the sammichs
Woke up wheezing this morning, got up and it didn't get any better so I got out the nebulizer. That helped a little after a while.
Went out and mowed most of the place. Still like a half acre or so and it started pouring down. It had showered just a bit then stopped so I kept going. Then the big rain hit and I headed for the shop. It was 6pm by that time anyway. I had enough by then anyway

what milk do you use and what type of cheese are you making? Since we still haven't managed to seperate the BIG baby goats from the milk goat mom, I don't have milk to make cheese with but would like to make some. I wonder if it would work with store milk
I will tag you over in the cheese thread. Might take me a few- just catching up this evening.

Sipping coffee.
Graph paper isn't working for me so will get out big roll of Kraft paper.
Talked to cranky in Texas this evening.
He says it's hot.......lol......
And he's cranky.....lol......
He's not handling the stress of the job.........
Or the heat well.
He'll be back next week.
I enjoy my time with him.
But I also enjoy my time away from him too.
So I guess I got the best of both world.
And I am still friends with the mutual friend.

Latest posts

Back