What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Worked my 11 hour shift and got out of Dodge before anyone could tell me to stay longer. The sun is brutal and the equipment wasn't running right. Plus, the mechanic for the area is off for the weekend, and I haven't ever run this equipment before so I have no clue how to troubleshoot it or fix it, and I probably don't have the right parts anyway.

My arms are so cooked that my skin is tingling. There hasn't been a cloud in the sky for 3 days now and even though I tan well, I'm scorched from the sun. Tomorrow should be a bit better, I guess, and then at 5pm Monday it's time to hit the road and head for home. I can be home in less than 3 hours so it shouldn't even be dark when I get there. Then I'll have 7 days off and I can recuperate from working 13 out of 14 days.

Have a good evening, everybody. I'm out!!!
What kind of machine are you running @Spikedriver, f you are getting cooked from Creosote you need to do some barrier creme and wear some kind of light mask to HELP prevent inhaling the spray.

I have had my arms flake like scales from dead skin after a burn from some sappy fresh vated ties.

iu

I've got an ear infection that is making me feel very cruddy. Had headache and fever for a couple days. It finally broke Saturday morning. Feeling nauseous. I've managed to change Mom's insulin cartridge, do some laundry, feed kitties, cook for mom, feed cows some sweet feed, break up cat fights, etc. I didn't put my clean laundry away since I felt so cruddy. Princess came running inside all wet and dove on top of the laundry. Then she burrowed under it and rolled around. She's sleeping on it right now.

On the upside, I'm down to 194lbs.

George did give me news about the lawnmower ...he said
*This is Sh*t to repair would cost $200.
I told him : * Ship it to scrap !!!*

He did laugh he said : I agree with it !!!
So he will send it for scrap 😛
Scrap it? What is the cost to REplace it?
If it cost more than the $200 repair why is it not being repaired instead of buying a new one?
New riding or zero turns $1600-20,000
$200 sounds like a deal

What kind of machine are you running @Spikedriver, f you are getting cooked from Creosote you need to do some barrier creme and wear some kind of light mask to HELP prevent inhaling the spray.

I have had my arms flake like scales from dead skin after a burn from some sappy fresh vated ties.
Its an old, single side spike driver/Guager like a curve gang would use. We are building a mile long "shoo-fly" for a new bridge over the Elkhorn River. It acts like the anvil is wore out sometimes, but the anvil is brand new. I don't know that much about that machine because I avoid steel gangs like the plague.

I'm just sunburned. I got a bad creosote burn one time, when I was a new hire, and you won't see me letting that happen again...

This week has been a blur, the dryer died middle of the week so I spent Saturday morning at the Laundromat. The experience reminded me of my youth when I was dirt poor, it also taught me that being poor today can be really expensive.

That put me late getting to the grocery store, which reminded me why I usually go very early. 1 Cashier, really dense people who were really slow and unprepared for even the simplest of tasks. "What do you mean my coupons expired?" followed by "It won't read my card" and the dreaded, "I don't have enough money, can you put the meat back?"

Today is a range day, so I need to go over and set things up.

I'm flying out for work a 1PM today so I have to leave early the range early to catch my flight.

Because I'm flying out, I have to get the kitchen clean and dishes in order so the wife can eat while I'm gone. We cooked meals for 2 days yesterday and she will have housekeeping type help on Tuesday. Her nurse comes on Monday, so someone will be looking in on her 2 days while I'm gone, we made arrangements with other people to check in on her the other days while I'm gone too.

Gonna rotate the replacement foodstuffs stock and update the inventory list.
Its cannin season and need to make room for new full jars on shelf. We just received word from a friend that his late parents pear trees are loaded this year we are gonna make an extremely large batch of pear preserve. For the past two years the pears have been shy on the trees. Oh man I love that stuff, my grandma taught the DW how to make the preserves and it takes almost three days to do it.

doing laundry today and cleaning the house

Urban: really poor people hang their clothes on the line ( oh and the Amish too) LOL, seriously, you are a good husband to take care of the wife so well!! Hope you have a good trip

it was supposed to rain most of the day yesterday but we only got 5 minutes of it
debating if it is worth it to pull weeds in teh garden and water it, we just can't keep up this summer with anything with these stupid injuries. I got my night brace for the heel in the mail , not sure it is doing much but it said it might take a month until it gets better

Yep. Our clothes hang outside. The last owners took the clothes line, so I have those portable thingies that unfold and hang the clothes on those. In the winter, I dry near the woodburner stove. No dryer.
Haven't gone to the grocery in awhile, will go this afternoon.
Have a good trip, Urban, hope all is well with your wife.

Everyone fed except Buddy who has been hollering at something to the south!🤔 Heading right out there so I'll see what's bugging him! Guess I'll be packing, not sure what he's eyeing!! Then going to clean my building and visit my friend in assisted living! When I get home I'll get in the kitchen and do some prep work for upcoming chicken fajitas and do some laundry! And hang the laundry out!😉

If it cost more than the $200 repair why is it not being repaired instead of buying a new one?
$200 sounds like a deal
NO.
Its NOT a riding mower
I am not a lazy a##
Its a great exercise to mow with lawnmower

You did not read well!
It was a CRAPPY *LAWNMOWER*

I already got a NEW one LOL

Last edited:
$200 sounds like a deal
Pretty sure it is her push mower,

Yep. Our clothes hang outside. The last owners took the clothes line, so I have those portable thingies that unfold and hang the clothes on those. In the winter, I dry near the woodburner stove. No dryer.
Haven't gone to the grocery in awhile, will go this afternoon.
Have a good trip, Urban, hope all is well with your wife.
Hanging clothes to dry extends their life. A lot of people don’t realize that the lint in the filter is their clothes coming apart

Coffee, try to get outside and fix stuff before it gets too hot., but that might take at least one more Coffee.

Got up a touch sleepy this morning, sometimes these Saturday night dates run late and yet my brain is locked in at waking up at the same time. Still I zombie walked my ass to the weights and got my workout in, then sucked down that post-workout protein shake before firing up the coffee pot and jumping in the shower. I have another date here in a little bit, a brunch date.

I don't know if people realize how much time I spend in the car driving back and forth from the compound to the city. Dodge, OPEC and Michelin all sent me birthday cards. This is also why I have a glove box full of warnings and a few traffic tickets too. Fortunately the road isn't patrolled any heavier than it is. The trick to getting warnings instead of tickets is the word "Sir" and the word "Ma'am". As in "My apologies Sir. I was focusing on where I need to be instead of properly monitoring my speed. I must admit Sir that I am pretty embarrassed right now." I think they get enough whining, crying and bitching that being respectful and self-accountable makes you uninteresting or less fun to cite.

Got up a touch sleepy this morning, sometimes these Saturday night dates run late and yet my brain is locked in at waking up at the same time. Still I zombie walked my ass to the weights and got my workout in, then sucked down that post-workout protein shake before firing up the coffee pot and jumping in the shower. I have another date here in a little bit, a brunch date.

I don't know if people realize how much time I spend in the car driving back and forth from the compound to the city. Dodge, OPEC and Michelin all sent me birthday cards. This is also why I have a glove box full of warnings and a few traffic tickets too. Fortunately the road isn't patrolled any heavier than it is. The trick to getting warnings instead of tickets is the word "Sir" and the word "Ma'am". As in "My apologies Sir. I was focusing on where I need to be instead of properly monitoring my speed. I must admit Sir that I am pretty embarrassed right now." I think they get enough whining, crying and bitching that being respectful and self-accountable makes you uninteresting or less fun to cite.
being nice works better than telling them to go solve a real crime, but what do you do when bureaucrats get to carry guns

My sons girlfriend is a local PD, she has one of his guns as her carry because he has it built for speed and to do the deed.

At 100 feet she never got out of the ten ring and and more that 75% were in the X on a silhouette.

She actually qualified at the Academy with it 100% X at 25 and 50 feet.

I told my son, "DO not piss that girl off she shoots better than you do"!!!

HEHEHEHE.

Getting ready for the day a little at a time, still nursing a couple of cramps in the legs last night.

Stood out over the 4 wheeler for about 4 hours because I replaced a lot of things that did not need it and some of them are tricky to work on.

Had one leg propped up and was stretched out across the thing.

Probably was dehydrated from the humidity sweating me pretty good too.

Just another day past the 70 mark headed toward 73 fast but not getting any faster on foot HEHEHEH.

Hope everyone has a good day any day still able to dance around on the earth is a good day!!!

Its an old, single side spike driver/Guager like a curve gang would use. We are building a mile long "shoo-fly" for a new bridge over the Elkhorn River. It acts like the anvil is wore out sometimes, but the anvil is brand new. I don't know that much about that machine because I avoid steel gangs like the plague.

I'm just sunburned. I got a bad creosote burn one time, when I was a new hire, and you won't see me letting that happen again...
Fairmont or older open one?

I like the Fairmonts, But some of the others that use air are a pain in the arascone.

I just wish you didn't have to load the Fairmonts the way you do.

1722787356231.png

We are dog sitting, so I spent a liesurely morning on the patio while the dog inspected every inch of the back yard. He is an Australian Shepard pup. Good little guy. I sat in my Nothing Box, and smoked a nice Illlusione Habano; had a cup of coffe; made my piece with God on His day; and let the rest of the world go by. Oddly enough, there were no birds. Maybe they didn't like the cigar. I think I will put a rear end in a recliner.

Fairmont or older open one?

I like the Fairmonts, But some of the others that use air are a pain in the arascone.

I just wish you didn't have to load the Fairmonts the way you do.

View attachment 158970
Lol, had Me one of these Fairmonts a long time ago, does that count...?!?

1722789509144.png

Lol, had Me one of these Fairmonts a long time ago, does that count...?!?

View attachment 158972
those seemed so ugly when they were current, now they look like they would really look good with fat tires and a Boss 351 or some other blue oval swap

so looks like our next weekend trip plans to visit daughter just got ruined , what else is new
there is supposed to be what's left of the tropical storm about to hit Florida coming this way. Of course they don't know where exactly it is going to go but both Virginia Beach and the edge of our area are in that forecast cone. Not going anywhere in crappy weather, the weather in Germany was enough
We will just move it to another weekend even if daughter does not have a 3 day weekend. She gets early and we will just visit a little less time
I wonder how long before I can cancel the car rental or move it to another date

oh and son's friend might not make it back to Florida tomorrow, plane might get cancelled. We will have to see , stupid weather

Animal chores, got the baby turkeys moved into a cage, they were still in a tub brooder. Getting big. Planted 7 more squash plants in another area that I had seeded. Finished lunch, will get going to the bigger town to Aldi soon to fill a cart. Lots of laundry today. Drying racks are all full. Pup got a workout being a farm dog with us this morning, and is now crashed out at the foot of our bed.

Got to see my elderly friend's assisted living apartment, REALLY NICE!! She's about settled in and making new friends! The day after she moved they had a small covid outbreak and no one could visit and everyone was confined to their rooms! Now she's enjoying all the activities!! I'll be able to stop in often and can eat lunch with her there! She was feeling tired and run down at home, today she looked great! 😊

Latest posts

Back