What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had a brief visitor, the neighbor I stopped in to see the other day. Sounds like if the developer accepts their counter offer, they are going to sell their property. They want to move out of this "****ing libtard state". I guess that puts me in the reticle. Better call the lawyer tomorrow. I wonder if they would still want it if I put HazMat signs all over the fence?

at the cross roads nearby...!!!
1722801898233.jpeg

I've got an ear infection that is making me feel very cruddy. Had headache and fever for a couple days. It finally broke Saturday morning. Feeling nauseous. I've managed to change Mom's insulin cartridge, do some laundry, feed kitties, cook for mom, feed cows some sweet feed, break up cat fights, etc. I didn't put my clean laundry away since I felt so cruddy. Princess came running inside all wet and dove on top of the laundry. Then she burrowed under it and rolled around. She's sleeping on it right now.

On the upside, I'm down to 194lbs.
Lay on your side with your head level and pour hydrogen peroxide into your ear. Leave it until it quits bubbling (20-30 min). Then put a wash cloth over it and roll over and let it drain for about 15 min. It’s not instant relief but it works. Also I am not a dr or giving medical advice- just saying what I would do 😉

Lay on your side with your head level and pour hydrogen peroxide into your ear. Leave it until it quits bubbling (20-30 min). Then put a wash cloth over it and roll over and let it drain for about 15 min. It’s not instant relief but it works. Also I am not a dr or giving medical advice- just saying what I would do 😉
or a few drops of onion juice might do the trick too.

Filled a cart at Aldi, and just got everything put away. The price indicator I always look for was at an all time shocking high...the Aldi brand small bottle of olive oil...the one that was in the 2 buck range not long ago..today was $6.59. I was shocked.

Sipping coffee
Reading forums
Working on monkey block,should finish today sometime.
Talked to Cranky in Texas, and yes he still cranky.
I'm still giggling.
Too hot for coffee ☕🥵

This morning I hemmed middle niece’s dress for oldest niece’s wedding this upcoming weekend. Bro and SIL still not evacuated. They’ve been helping fight fire and moving cattle. Night before last stayed (not sure if all night or most of night) to ensure someone’s house didn’t burn. And trying to get ready for a wedding so slightly stressed. Youngest niece is on a fire (that’s her job) and will be taking time off for the wedding but right back to work afterwards.
We just returned from the river with blackberries for in homemade ice cream. (For Hubby, not me). 96* so far.
Also working on wedding gift: will show in blacksmithing/leather threads when finished.
Hubby made a small batch of fresh salsa - 12.5 quarts 😖. A good Sunday.

The doctor prescribed special drops for my ear and that is what I've been using. 4 drops 4x a day. I lay on my side, put the drops in, and keep my head tilted that way for quite awhile. It's feeling a little better. No fever. No headache. Only mild nausea. Not as tired.

Kitties woke me up this morning wanting to be fed only they still had food. I'm talking ALL of their bowls were full. So I went through the motions of pretending to feed them.

Made tortellini last night so Mom had the leftovers for breakfast.

next problem ( man, they are sure multiplying lately!) Neighbor's goats ( 3 bucks) are now in our goat pasture I put the little milk goat kids in. Husband got ours in the barn, hope the bucks didn't get a hold of the little girls , they are only half a year old but goats breed anytime they get away with it. Neighbor not home
So we have : potential cancelled trip, visitor might not be able to get home, fence broken somewhere, Ranger still gone, water was dirty this morning meaning the tank is low since it hasn't rained much, husband has knee injury , my foot hurts, son needs to find a job soon, garden is a disaster, no firewood for next winter yet, manure pile needs to be moved for which we need to rent bobcat, and I just looked and they no longer rent what we need at the place we got one last year
Can anything go right this year????

Fairmont or older open one?

I like the Fairmonts, But some of the others that use air are a pain in the arascone.

I just wish you didn't have to load the Fairmonts the way you do.

View attachment 158970
You know, it's so old I'm not even sure who made it. It was apparently rebuilt in the UP shop in 2003, but it's a way older design. (Its official UP designation is "SDSG 0303", meaning it was the third spiker of its kind obtained by UP in 2003). I would guess it was originally made in the 80s. It might be a Geismar machine or a Racine. It's tiny, only 8000 lbs weight, with a little crane and winch on one end to load spike kegs into a hopper. The operator sits at one end and runs the controls and the feeder sits at the other end and loads spikes into the chutes. It has no overhead cover and a little bitty diesel engine. It also has no nipper and no gauger although it has controls for a guager.

There's an operators manual in the box, if I remember tomorrow I'll look at it and see exactly what the machine is. (I'm a guy, so I don't read things like operator's manuals. Who needs all that info, when you can just get on and start busting stuff without reading it?)😁

You know, it's so old I'm not even sure who made it. It was apparently rebuilt in the UP shop in 2003, but it's a way older design. (Its official UP designation is "SDSG 0303", meaning it was the third spiker of its kind obtained by UP in 2003). I would guess it was originally made in the 80s. It might be a Geismar machine or a Racine. It's tiny, only 8000 lbs weight, with a little crane and winch on one end to load spike kegs into a hopper. The operator sits at one end and runs the controls and the feeder sits at the other end and loads spikes into the chutes. It has no overhead cover and a little bitty diesel engine. It also has no nipper and no gauger although it has controls for a guager.

There's an operators manual in the box, if I remember tomorrow I'll look at it and see exactly what the machine is. (I'm a guy, so I don't read things like operator's manuals. Who needs all that info, when you can just get on and start busting stuff without reading it?)😁
I rigged a beach umbrella on my side by side with bungee cords for better shade.

Working in the shades ain't so bad.

Ben

Getting ready to have little person come over.
Estelle needs her Granny time.
Estelle was wound for sound.
But she got her Granny time.
We found 2 more watermelon in her washtub garden.
She got to take home her watermelon jelly from Great Aunt Terri in Texas.
She ate about 1/2 jar of her watermelon pickles.
Talked to Cranky from Texas again.
Before I talked to him, several of the guys I had served with put a bug in my ear.
I'll see what he has to say first....
Then we will see.
I simply can't wait until Tuesday General Election is over.

Last edited:
Too hot for coffee ☕🥵

This morning I hemmed middle niece’s dress for oldest niece’s wedding this upcoming weekend. Bro and SIL still not evacuated. They’ve been helping fight fire and moving cattle. Night before last stayed (not sure if all night or most of night) to ensure someone’s house didn’t burn. And trying to get ready for a wedding so slightly stressed. Youngest niece is on a fire (that’s her job) and will be taking time off for the wedding but right back to work afterwards.
We just returned from the river with blackberries for in homemade ice cream. (For Hubby, not me). 96* so far.
Also working on wedding gift: will show in blacksmithing/leather threads when finished.
Hubby made a small batch of fresh salsa - 12.5 quarts 😖. A good Sunday.
It's never to hot for coffee.

Before I talked to him, several of the guys I had served with put a bug in my ear.
Then we will see.
Cryptic talk.

I am listening.

Ben

The smoke cleared up about 4 am this morning and I was able to open the windows. Got the water going in the orchard, and it started raining. Not much but it helped settle the dust. Got the orchard mowed today and got my Jeep ready for a road trip. Going up to my daughter's place tomorrow. She wants me to replace her front deck. It might take a couple days, then I'm bringing the granddaughter home with. Towards the end of the week we're going to move the cattle off our place.
High temp today was 86 degs. The fire to the north of us is around 30,000+ acres now. It's growing by about 2,000 acres per day. They're calling for more dry lightning over the next couple of days.

A couple of friends helped me spread more gravel for the greenhouse Saturday, and put down the underlayment for my pool. Would really like to get that set up before summer is over! I got overheated and sick from it so spent most of today just laying in my chair in the air conditioning. So tired of the heat.
Thinking about calling off sick tomorrow and working on the greenhouse some more. It's supposed to be cooler so maybe I could get stuff done without getting so sick. Also need to cut the grass, brother fixed the lawn tractor again. Hoping it stays fixed this time. At least it didn't bend the rod this time so he was able to reuse that, and this time he put some solder on the rod sleeve and said it was harder to get back into the head, so maybe it will stay in now.
The whole week went by without the contractor making contact. I'm about ready to rent a mini excavator and just do it myself.

Then we will see.
Glad you got some Estelle time! I need my little grands too (they are tall for their age, so not so little). Weird stuff going on in the family kind of limits that, and I know you know all about weird stuff with adult kids @MoBookworm1957 . Anyway, I'll see about going into to see them tomorrow. School starts back up soon.
I know that even after the election is over it will still be no contact time for some of us. Majority of my relatives are D and have gotten very unpleasant and quite ugly over it. I say nothing about it, ignore, ignore, ignore.
Sorry you've got a Mr. Cranky Pants to deal with but so delighted you are giggling so much. 🤭

A couple of friends helped me spread more gravel for the greenhouse Saturday, and put down the underlayment for my pool. Would really like to get that set up before summer is over! I got overheated and sick from it so spent most of today just laying in my chair in the air conditioning. So tired of the heat.
Thinking about calling off sick tomorrow and working on the greenhouse some more. It's supposed to be cooler so maybe I could get stuff done without getting so sick. Also need to cut the grass, brother fixed the lawn tractor again. Hoping it stays fixed this time. At least it didn't bend the rod this time so he was able to reuse that, and this time he put some solder on the rod sleeve and said it was harder to get back into the head, so maybe it will stay in now.
The whole week went by without the contractor making contact. I'm about ready to rent a mini excavator and just do it myself.
Call in sick, you'll feel better 😉

Glad you got some Estelle time! I need my little grands too (they are tall for their age, so not so little). Weird stuff going on in the family kind of limits that, and I know you know all about weird stuff with adult kids @MoBookworm1957 . Anyway, I'll see about going into to see them tomorrow. School starts back up soon.
I know that even after the election is over it will still be no contact time for some of us. Majority of my relatives are D and have gotten very unpleasant and quite ugly over it. I say nothing about it, ignore, ignore, ignore.
Sorry you've got a Mr. Cranky Pants to deal with but so delighted you are giggling so much. 🤭
Patchouli,
My grandchildren are 7 and under.
Estelle age 7.(2nd grade).
Reign's birthday was this last Friday.
She's now 4 years old.(preschool).
Charlie turned 1 on the 4th of May an the force is strong with this one.
Nyx turned 1 on 26 May 2024.
And she is orney.
And her daddy says she is definately my grand daughter with orneriness.
Estelle and Reign start school on the 23 of August.
Aren't adult sons fun.
As for Mr. Cranky Pants, he's amusing right now until he isn't.
Then I will deal with him, promptly,decisive decision.
By the way , I have that warped Military sense humor.
It's all good.

Back