What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our suite at the Vandivort for the weekend
IMG_4670.jpeg
IMG_4667.jpeg
IMG_4668.jpeg
IMG_4669.jpeg

IMG_4671.jpeg

Bought a new mice.
I need more on this @joel

Up early here and took my coffee to the polytunnel after feeding the animals. I left a pot of freshly laid eggs inside the door and bloody Trip stole half of them while I was watering!
Anyway two hours later, more coffee and I'm lifting potatoes and weeding before the rain comes. Planning on baking a bit later- need to stock up the freezer with treats - and then probably chill for the evening with some crafts. Trying to use up a lot of old materials- dropped off a box of handmade cards and knits to a shop yesterday.

I need more on this @joel

Up early here and took my coffee to the polytunnel after feeding the animals. I left a pot of freshly laid eggs inside the door and bloody Trip stole half of them while I was watering!
Anyway two hours later, more coffee and I'm lifting potatoes and weeding before the rain comes. Planning on baking a bit later- need to stock up the freezer with treats - and then probably chill for the evening with some crafts. Trying to use up a lot of old materials- dropped off a box of handmade cards and knits to a shop yesterday.
Not mice, mouse, I now have mice because I have two, but I bought one--mouse.
The old one did not want to work, so I retired it.
The younger one shows up on time & does what it is told to do.
I am taking Nephew to work & replacing the kitchen faucet.

@Peanut Take it easy and feel better. I know you know what to do but tea with honey, lemon and cinnamon doesn't hurt (unless it doesn't play well with your tinctures). I'm filling a lot more prescriptions for Paxlovid and the usual cold/flu regimen (cough suppressant, antibiotic, steroid). Keep a watchful eye on Dad so that there's no relapse for him. But most importantly, keep a watch on yourself.

@hashbrown love a man who can confidently wear lederhosen. The beer probably has a lot to do with that confidence.

We're experiencing the first non-rainy day in a week and the high will only be 85 today. Need to do so much today--laundry, mow the lawn, trim the wisteria, general yard clean-up. Need to start the winter get ready. Tomorrow I work, so today is the chore day. On the bright side, I'll Fri, Sat and Sun off this week.

Peanut, hope you feel better soon! Not fun
And that seems to be a good price for hay, it's gone up here. It was around $30 a large bale ( 4x5 or 5x5) before covid, now they are $40-50, and we just paid $60 to have them delivered ( but it's nice hay) a month ago

today animal care and maybe I will do some weeding on the few things we have growing in the garden now. My lettuce looks good, but too small to eat. Butternut squash look good too but just little tiny green squash on it for now. Cabbages look great, but I caved and put some 7dust on them so they don't get eaten by worms again. Tried organic, didn't work. I actually tried an experiement, I have 1 kale that grew off to the side. I put organic stuff and diatamacous earth on it, and I put 7dust on the others. The others look great, the organic got eaten:(

We could have gone on the trip to visit daughter, stupid weather idiots! It didn't rain at all yesterday and not today either.

Got up, worked out, made some coffee, and I now am listening to the birds as I absorb caffeine and waste away time on the internet. Nice and cool out here too. Almost cool enough for a heavier shirt or light jacket, but I will tough it out. Got a date this afternoon and a few tasks to accomplish before it's time to pick her up.

I sure hope you find your cows, I would be really stressed if any of our animals were missing
dogs came up missing a few times and I went looking for them until I found them except Otto and the mutt once when they came home at 3 am
I covered quite an area yesterday and didn't see any cows. Went to all of the springs and water holes that I knew about in that area too. I'm getting ready to head out now. There's about 24 head still missing. We'll find them eventually.

Already walked and watered roses, next will walk dogs.
Estate sale.
Go out to small store I worked at and visit for awhile.
Stop at friend's house and deliver boiled peanuts.
Stop at Church and prune and water flowers.
Stop at local grocery for DH.
Write letter for friend in military.
Several small misc. projects this afternoon.
This is the slowest day, this week.

I covered quite an area yesterday and didn't see any cows. Went to all of the springs and water holes that I knew about in that area too. I'm getting ready to head out now. There's about 24 head still missing. We'll find them eventually.
I hope you find them. We have only a small farm, so unless they go up the mountain into the woods or to the neighbors down the road everything is usually found
if the sheep or goats get out, they usually just eat on the side of the road or eat my blueberry bushes or something near the house

Today I ran errands, grocery shopping, fueling vehicles, stopped at W-mart. The W-mart experience was "Special". I needed a few things including medical supplies, but as I entered I noticed that they only had 1 full checkout line (think Disyland line) and they were being "soup NAZIS" about 15 items or less in the self check out line. So instead of stocking up (which usually runs a couple hundred $s) I only bought 15 items. The total was well under $50, so I guess they saved me money....

Got home last night, went to shut coop door and the little skunk was inside the coop looking for eggs.
My neighbor had dropped off his trap, so I opened the door n and calmly set it inside.
Closed the door ..went back after a hour or so..figuring I got it..nope..it's laying beside the feed can. So I close the door again..then check the coop again..and... it's gone.
So now I must go over n try n figure out how it got out. I will have to up the tasty delights inside the trap tonight too.
It's ok..it's progress and the pups were out last night and no one got sprayed again so maybe the fat one is learning not to go after skunks.
I wanted to sleep in more but I'm up.
Today I have to make a dump run. Go run a few errands, walk the pups and my group meeting is at 2. After that I think I'll take it easy..it's been a sleepless week and I'd like to relax a bit n catch up.

I hope you find them. We have only a small farm, so unless they go up the mountain into the woods or to the neighbors down the road everything is usually found
if the sheep or goats get out, they usually just eat on the side of the road or eat my blueberry bushes or something near the house
iu

Got up, worked out, made some coffee, and I now am listening to the birds as I absorb caffeine and waste away time on the internet. Nice and cool out here too. Almost cool enough for a heavier shirt or light jacket, but I will tough it out. Got a date this afternoon and a few tasks to accomplish before it's time to pick her up.
Are you going to stay in the same area or make a bigger move to a more rural community?

I was going to put my Guinea keets outside in the coop today. I’m done having them in the house in a brooder. They are about 3-4 weeks old. But it’s going to be in the 60s tonight and I’m afraid they’ll get too cold. I’ll wait a few days. It’s supposed to warm up to be in the 70s for low temps this coming week.

Right now I’m relaxing, drinking coffee and listening to Terry Talks Nutrition on radio.

https://terrytalksnutrition.com/
He ends every radio broadcast with a pray… saying God bless you my friends, and God bless this great nation.

Just some insight to his character.

Probably worthy of it’s own thread.

It's nice to have options !

Worst case scenario I can just ask for an age waiver and reenlist. I hear every branch is struggling with recruitment right now so I could just join the air force, eat steak every night, sleep in luxury quarters, take limitless hot showers and presumably enjoy free base-provided manicures and pedicures. I may have to pretend to like Obama however, so there is a trade off.

Latest posts

Back