What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He ends every radio broadcast with a pray… saying God bless you my friends, and God bless this great nation.

Just some insight to his character.

Probably worthy of it’s own thread.

Sunrise this morning while out looking for cows. We finally found some. They were a quarter mile from our property, but it's 5 miles around to get them.
20240810_071344.jpg

Sunrise this morning while out looking for cows. We finally found some. They were a quarter mile from our property, but it's 5 miles around to get them.
ok stupid question , how do you get them back to your property ? How did they get out, broken fence? Or do they just sort of free range? I am really interested in this since our farming is so much different . How do these cows get water to drink?
I hope you find the rest too

today I really got not much done, resting my foot mostly and spending too much time online

Animals are all out , no rain. Did pull some weeds this morning but there isn't a lot of plants to take care of right now. My cabbages look really nice, I need to take a photo. Amazing what a little poison on them will do and makes you really wonder what you are eating from the grocery store. I will not sell these of course , we only sell stuff that was not dusted or sprayed
Oh did something I have put off, cleaned the main fridge in the kitchen. I hate it when people in my house open 3 !! Jars of mayo and 2 jars of pickles and they all have a little bit left in them!! I don't really want to combine them or throw any out either

ok stupid question , how do you get them back to your property ? How did they get out, broken fence? Or do they just sort of free range? I am really interested in this since our farming is so much different . How do these cows get water to drink?
I hope you find the rest too
There's probably a section fence down somewhere. Some of these cows have been out for a few weeks roaming around. It's pretty dry around here but there is a few springs and waterhole scattered around every mile or so. We found these cows and their calves about a quarter mile from our northeast property line, but it took 8 miles to get around our property to get to them. We had 2 people in the front leading the cows and me and the granddaughter behind keeping them bunched up and moving. We had 2 cattle guards to go around too. Once we got on the main road we caused quite a traffic jam. A lot of heavy equipment, fire crews, forest service trucks and an ambulance were all heading to the fire lines and had to stop for us. It took about 9 hours to get the cattle home, put in the corral and then loaded on the trailers. The granddaughter had a great time cracking the whip and keeping them all moving.

There's probably a section fence down somewhere. Some of these cows have been out for a few weeks roaming around. It's pretty dry around here but there is a few springs and waterhole scattered around every mile or so. We found these cows and their calves about a quarter mile from our northeast property line, but it took 8 miles to get around our property to get to them. We had 2 people in the front leading the cows and me and the granddaughter behind keeping them bunched up and moving. We had 2 cattle guards to go around too. Once we got on the main road we caused quite a traffic jam. A lot of heavy equipment, fire crews, forest service trucks and an ambulance were all heading to the fire lines and had to stop for us. It took about 9 hours to get the cattle home, put in the corral and then loaded on the trailers. The granddaughter had a great time cracking the whip and keeping them all moving.
wow, that sounds like a ton of work. I hope they get the fires under control soon.
We move our animals by having them trained with food ( grain). They will mostly follow the food and know if they go where we tell them to go they will get it. I just call them and they come running ( like a dog LOL).

Its Saturday !!!
August 10th 2024

We can relax ..right
Here 67f right now

I think tomorrow I might be able to mow ...hopefully 👍

I am the cats-dog slave but I love it lol
I did a good brushing and shed Dane Girl today she loves it
Cleaned her ears with her ear liquid and wipes
Did put some eye drops for her eyes..
Gave her a big Pedegree DentaStix for her teeth
I think I change their water 4 times a day 🤣

Had my dinner
Now I can sit for the evening ..hopefully
I made a big pepsi and vodka glass to sip and relax
and watch news and read the Forum :)

Enjoy your evening guys
and for our friends with health problem hang in there
and sending healing vibes your way and prayers 😘🙏

We ran out of mobile data and I wasn't able to use the internet for a bit but we got the new Starlink cable. It's not ethernet and couplers for ethernet wouldn't work. Starlink doesn't seem to sell extenders for their cables. They only have two sizes-- 75ft (which is too short) and 150ft. I got the latter.

Long story short, friend climbed the tower, got on the roof, got the new cable on, uprighted the pole the dish is on and tethered it better. Tethered the new cable to the tower and to the cable clips on the side of the house from old cables. Got the cable run over the massive bottle pit in living room & have internet back.

I don't drink alcohol but I went and got myself some chocolate fudge brownies instead.

Yesterday was busy but today has been a day of rest. I might do some cleaning, but coordination is still bad so I will do things while sitting if I get up to it. Just letting myself decompress and playing with graphics.

Is there a forum section for drawings/art stuff? Would it be under hobbies?

wow, that sounds like a ton of work. I hope they get the fires under control soon.
We move our animals by having them trained with food ( grain). They will mostly follow the food and know if they go where we tell them to go they will get it. I just call them and they come running ( like a dog LOL).
I dated a local cattleman's for a very short while last year and it took a group of us about 2 days to locate most of his herd and a few strays from another herd up on cutty mountain last year.
It was a fun hike for me, alot of riding horses, hiking, 4 wheelers and one motorcycle dirtbike that ultimately wrecked to find n herd them back ..but that's how folks roll out here.
In the fall up by the mill, all the cows come off the mountain on their own when it starts snowing. Most of the cattle owners sort out n give any strays either a lift home or call their owners to fetch.
The honor system still stands here. It's pretty cool..

I puttered around the house today, inside and out. Started putting on peel and stick backsplash in the kitchen over what is on there right now (sheet metal). Looks pretty nice. Half of it is done, lots of cut outs to do. The widow neighbor came over to visit a bit and brought a can of fruit cocktail and a can of spaghettios. She makes me nervous coming up, she is not steady on her feet and her asthma is bad. I don't know why she brings stuff everytime, but I gratefully thank her and that makes her happy. She did come to husband's bday dinner party last week and had a good time. Great overcast, drizzly rain today and barely 70. Loved that.

I’m going to bed early and with sore feet.

The sore feet tell me I had a good and productive day at home doing yard work. The place looks a lot better too. :cool:

I feel better taking steps in the right direction, and the results noticeable. Hope I’m on a non-stop roll… making home improvements. The yard is just a good start. But before actually het to home improvements… gotta repair / upgrade a vehicle or three, and get garage and tools in order.

It’ll almost be a never ending saga… good thing I’m still young - still just 59

I had a great day..
Walked the pups
Store run
Monthly meeting with my local group..
Firearms legalities to consider for my state , stuff in general related and I mentioned hearing protection since folks recently talked about it here.
Next month we are having a range day and starting to do range day at least once a month.
Then I made a quick top off supply run ..watered all my plants good and been piddling.
I have to set the skunk trap soon..

Today was busy! Went for a walk with the hubby and pup for the first time in two weeks, the smoke lifted just long enough. Watch a little rain and listened to the thunderstorm that rolled in behind us just as we walked through the front door. I removed seeds from several gallons of blackberries and started making fruit leather in the dehydrator. Went to grandmas and worked on some odds and ends in the house. My oldest treated me with the Deadpool and Wolverine movie over the hill at a theater with reclining seats. It was his fair trade for me to make beef stroganoff for dinner. Watching the Olympics for a bit and drinking some cherry cordial over soda water and ice while trying to figure out what to do with the explosion of cucumbers. I really don’t want more cucumber pickles …

The wife and I are sitting out on back the deck. It's nice and quite here tonight, no cows bawling for their babies. Just the night sounds and the coyotes howling. The granddaughter and I set a trap for the skunk that keeps stealing the duck eggs. And we set a cage trap on the front porch for the fox that's been sleeping next to the front door.

Bloody Bother.... Up at 0500 local time this morning, can't sleep any more.. For some reason, like a kid, I will get my days and nights mixed up.. Make a cup of coffee and toast.. Make a short grocery list.. Kind of keep myself busy to turn this around..

After going to the Game Fair Friday I have a bunch of dog and cat food samples from vendors there.. Will donata all this to the local shelter.. Temps 75-50F predicted for all week.. A few spots around the big lake have had low 40sF overnight.. Not unusual there.. Not a blade of ..August brown.. grass here.. Has been a great summer..

We did that with cracked corn, with pigs & hogs. We never moved them unless it was to sale them.

got up late today, and it's Cold! In the low 50s, what happened to summer???
We have some big projects to do , but nothing smaller that could be done today, so other than animal care not much. If I had known we were not going on the trip , we would have done market yesterday. But oh well a weekend off and I sort of don't know what to do. That usually does not happen at all. I guess maybe some weedeating , there are a lot of ragweeds growing in the little goat boy pasture, they should go before they get large

Hope everyone has a nice Sunday

Been outside all day - small chores, big chores, mowing, moving, fixing. Getting ready for winter. Rigged up another water butt, weeded and mowed, cut back lots. Its like the middle of autumn here, leaves down etc. About to clear up the small barn. I'm trying to talk myself into - or out of-getting a pygmy goat. Have dragged the lads out with me :) because husbands away at a rally. Last night sold two metal fence posts we've had for years, and a lovely old man came, ended up chatting for hours about his life- he's been shooting all over the world, been incredibly ill, but really tough and wiry loves nature and was just an all round interesting guy.

Latest posts

Back