What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
iu

Today is the kind of day when I should just stay in my room. Last night nearly finished the back of a knitted jacket when I realised I had made a mistake waaayyy back, ended up ripping the whole lot.
Two kittens broke out at 5am and ran havoc around the place-when husband went to work I fell back into a deep sleep, with ma, strange dreams. Woke up late and decided to have first coffee at the pc paying bills. Unfortunately I scrolled a bit extra, and my electric company now have my credit card payment! I rang but it'll take a few days to sort it. On top of that, my sons application for college was done on my pc, and so my name must have automatically inserted somewhere. :eek: I rang and told them and they said they have it changed, but now it's popping up in his emails. Sigh.

not feelin' so great and layin' low. still had to work.
Got a class coming up next week, will be busy with that. My boss asked me about a certain date in the future, if I would be working that, then said, if you're still here. I thought what the heck in tarnation? Somebody has been not keeping confidences. I read to keep confidential stuff confidential, just write it down, burn the paper, tell God and be done.
@Bacpacker that freaks me out that they think your heart isn't strong enough for surgery, yet you work hard outside all weekend, well sort of, and when you get off work. I don't get it.
Heart surgery is very major, I would know. All the stuff: lower your salt intake, don't drink much alcohol, stop smoking cigars, cut back on coffee, eat less red meat, I know, man. Been there too. Last time the cardiologist and my regular doctor checked me over and looked at my blood work everything was excellent. Prayers always.
@Amish Heart she's 13!!! And Levi is still hanging around.
We don't eat a lot of salt anyway, but will be reading labels more closely. I'm not a big drinker, so not really a deal. I'm not a heavy cigar smoker and never inhale them, Dr's weren't carrying on over them either. But recently I've rarely felt like having one. Red meat will be tough. I'm not big on chicken, or pork for the most part. Ill eat both, but not my favorites. More fish will go in the diet for sure.
Glad your blood work is doing so well.

Got woke up at 530 for blood draw, 6 for meds, which includes Lasix, so I just got up for a while and see what today brings

not much time this morning have to go get my yukon inspected...wish me luck! I hope they don't find anything expensive.
Son is helping husband with the animals this morning. Husband finally made a doctor appointment for his knee. Our neighbor ( who used to be a nurse) told him maybe they can give him a steroid shot or something to fix it but i have a feeling they will just tell him to rest it
if I get back early enough we will butcher some more of the meat chickens today, they are getting way too big, almost couldn't fit the batch from a few days ago into freezer bags

not feelin' so great and layin' low. still had to work.
Got a class coming up next week, will be busy with that. My boss asked me about a certain date in the future, if I would be working that, then said, if you're still here. I thought what the heck in tarnation? Somebody has been not keeping confidences. I read to keep confidential stuff confidential, just write it down, burn the paper, tell God and be done.
@Bacpacker that freaks me out that they think your heart isn't strong enough for surgery, yet you work hard outside all weekend, well sort of, and when you get off work. I don't get it.
Heart surgery is very major, I would know. All the stuff: lower your salt intake, don't drink much alcohol, stop smoking cigars, cut back on coffee, eat less red meat, I know, man. Been there too. Last time the cardiologist and my regular doctor checked me over and looked at my blood work everything was excellent. Prayers always.
@Amish Heart she's 13!!! And Levi is still hanging around.
Well she will be 13 on the 23rd. Levi will be 12 on the 24th. That is our town's Heritage Day, and all our kids, my nephew, and a sister come in to visit and do the heritage day stuff here, so it'll be a three day party.

Lots of folks thru this morning. Saw both Dr.s and both NPs. The cardiac thoracic team is turning me over to the cardiologist at this point. No surgery planned. Got several new meds going, a couple or 3 more to go. Some monitoring and likely to go home in next day or 2. Plenty of follow up stuff to come over next 3 months. Then be reevaluated for stents. Bypass is highly unlikely at this point. Some of the new meds are already working well and both Dr.s are happy with that.

Lots of folks thru this morning. Saw both Dr.s and both NPs. The cardiac thoracic team is turning me over to the cardiologist at this point. No surgery planned. Got several new meds going, a couple or 3 more to go. Some monitoring and likely to go home in next day or 2. Plenty of follow up stuff to come over next 3 months. Then be reevaluated for stents. Bypass is highly unlikely at this point. Some of the new meds are already working well and both Dr.s are happy with that.
YAY!!! Praying you can avoid surgery!!

Morning, friends!

Good luck, Bacpacker, hopefully they’ll let you home soon and hopefully things will improve!

Hope you’re feeling better, Peanut!

We’ve got the window washer / gutter cleaner guy coming today (the husband does not trust me on a three-story ladder and to be honest neither do I), I have more cooking to do and the house needs to be cleaned. New bird netting arrived so if I have time, finishing up that raised bed is also on my to-do. D&D tonight if the engaged couple in our group is not crazy with wedding prep, wedding is soon.

Have a great day, everyone.

Going to unload the truck this morning. The wife wants a raised bed made from retaining wall blocks. We bought enough blocks for the fire pit too. I'll start on building the new coop today. Some of the blackberries are starting to ripen. They are huge berries and sweet too. The hornets ate almost all of the raspberries. We only got a bucket picked. I put out some poison bait stations for the wasps. It seems to be working. The wasps take the poison bait back to the nest, and it's supposed to kill the whole colony.

Yukon passed inspection! Had to get a minor thing done ( oil filter tube) to get oil changed but so far so good

Now one of the livestock dogs is limping, wonder what he did. Husband put him in the barn for now, I have to go look at him.

Called the 86 year old guy we get hay from, asking him if he is retired yet. LOL, NO, he will be cutting hay in the next few weeks
Good for him!

Got up, worked out, put some beans in a slow cooker, got cleaned up, loaded up 6 identical "battle packs" and drove them to my FFL guy's place to sell on consignment. I went a little overboard in preparing for Red Dawn and am just liquidating the rack of AR's and handguns I set up and have never touched since. But don't feel bad for me, I could still outfit an entire platoon with guns to spare. The extra $10k or so I will make is going into my relocation fund, if I ever need it.

Going to unload the truck this morning. The wife wants a raised bed made from retaining wall blocks. We bought enough blocks for the fire pit too. I'll start on building the new coop today. Some of the blackberries are starting to ripen. They are huge berries and sweet too. The hornets ate almost all of the raspberries. We only got a bucket picked. I put out some poison bait stations for the wasps. It seems to be working. The wasps take the poison bait back to the nest, and it's supposed to kill the whole colony.
We had the craziest looking wasps...first we hear a cicada in the tree, then it stops, and then we see a wasp take off with it. So we looked it up. The wasp jumps on the cicada, stings it to paralyze it, then flies off with it, puts it in it's wasp nest in a hole in the ground, lays eggs on it. Babies hatch and eat the cicada. Gross. We've seen it a couple of times where the wasp was flying off with it. Now I know why it's been fairly cicada quiet here.

We had the craziest looking wasps...first we hear a cicada in the tree, then it stops, and then we see a wasp take off with it. So we looked it up. The wasp jumps on the cicada, stings it to paralyze it, then flies off with it, puts it in it's wasp nest in a hole in the ground, lays eggs on it. Babies hatch and eat the cicada. Gross. We've seen it a couple of times where the wasp was flying off with it. Now I know why it's been fairly cicada quiet here.
Now that's a good wasp to have around the place. We don't have cicadas around here, but I wish we had something that would kill the grasshoppers.

Had a decent day at work after yesterday’s fiascos with the manager. He was even courteous and respectful to me today.

The machine’s coolant leak was repaired when I got to work this morning.

I didn’t say in other posts that was the deal. I first called him, when he answered, to tell him I was having to add coolant to keep it from overheating. At that point I didn’t know where the leak was and asked if I buy more coolant or ask the guys at the shop there for some. He said just go buy some. The machine kept sucking up the coolant… then I found where it was leaking. “Tried” calling the boss again… all I needed to know was if he wanted me to try finishing the day with it or just bring it back to shop. I mean it’s not my machine to make the decision about running it in that condition, and it wasn’t my money it was pissing out on the ground.

Anyway, it all worked out well enough and the manager apparently got my meaning from our little discussion. The business owner even gave me an up-spirited and welcoming “good morning” … life there ain’t all bad.

We have those here—cicada killer wasps. Looks like a yellow jacket that’s big enough to have an FAA call sign. Hit ‘em with a tennis or badminton racquet. The males don’t sting—only the females. The female almost never leaves the nest. She is bigger than the male.

maybe the noise that is keeping me up at night is not crickets but cicadas, just thought of that. Uggh! I don't know what is worse, cicadas that make noise or wasps that will sting you

Latest posts

Back