What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW this page rolls on like Patton after Rommel!!!!

ARGHHHH grandson called and said GDIL will run out of mommy off time, her mom has two new grands and has to keep her brothers the same ages as hers, so we are going to be full time 2yo and 2 month old sitters starting September the 10th!!! I may be too old for it but Oh am I gonna love it
Don't be spoiling them grandkids. 🤣🤣

Had a bad day at work, shouldn’t have been much of big deal, machine issues leading to breakdowns happen and there’s usually a successful workaround to stay productive while the machine is repaired. But - when the manager knows I have an issue/developing problem with a machine and then doesn’t answer his phone, ignores my text… and I have to go back to the truck to radio him, losing more time… there’s a real problem. I’m about done there.

It’s rant worthy but I’m just venting, actually not a huge deal… just a little sidetrack away from more serious health issues. Hope all will be fine.

This flu is still nasty, had low grade fever again last night, didn’t sleep well. No fever today but feel as weak as a sick kitten. I have an area rug in front of my door, the dog lays on it in the evening. A gsd that sheds constantly so I vacuum that rug everyday. I haven’t cleaned it since last thursday so I got the vac out. Had to stop halfway through and rest 5min. Then finished but don’t have the strength to put the vac away.

At least I ate salmon patties last night and had some roast today. Neighbors and kin are feeding us, brought over all kinds of food. But now I’m out of silverware, managed to rinse and get everything into a sink of hot water, maybe they’ll clean themselves, I can always hope, :rolleyes: . Now I’m resting again, just me and my cough. Guess I won’t be plant hunting for the foreseeable future. If I got down in a creek I’d never get back out, gravity is funny that way. 🤣

The folks are doing much better but they are 5 days ahead of me in this flu cycle.
Are you taking a probiotic - natural or otherwise? Your fever is probably killing off your gut flora. I know you know how to take care of yourself better than I do but just want you to get yourself better. 🙏

Spent some time outside with neighbor boy Levi...getting the spinach and lettuce seeded. His school starts tomorrow. He was kicked out of school permanently in this district, so he goes to another. Little granddaughter got off the bus, looked like heck...alot to take in. Had to find some sweat shorts for her for gym, glad I had some and they fit her, wished they would of let us know in the school supply list. It just said tennis shoes. Her teacher said leggings were ok, and I said no way. Yoga pants are not outerwear. So we'll look for sweat pants. Band had a list of special drum mallets, sticks, and a practice pad that she needs, so to the music store this weekend in the bigger town.
Husband and I had a good brunch at an old people's diner that we really like in the bigger town. Picked up a bushel of peaches, gassed up the truck, got the mail. We'll be going to a fancy dinner in a bit. I'll need to look presentable. A good bottle of champagne in the fridge.
Little granddaughter put on her muck boots for chores. The pup missed her.

For follow-up on my last post and further distraction.., I gave the manager a piece of my mind when I got back to the shop, but did so calmly and coolly… and just said enough to shut him up, which is a change… he never shuts-ups and interrupts people not letting them finish their sentences… I finished one of those sentences and said a little more. He just looked at me ‘wide-eyed’. I’d never seen that expression on his face before. No worries though,… after that I asked about tomorrow… I’ll working as usual.

Last edited:
Guys who can fix things are hard to come by, mouth piece managers are not, maybe someone up the chain clued him in??

Spent some time outside with neighbor boy Levi...getting the spinach and lettuce seeded. His school starts tomorrow. He was kicked out of school permanently in this district, so he goes to another. Little granddaughter got off the bus, looked like heck...alot to take in. Had to find some sweat shorts for her for gym, glad I had some and they fit her, wished they would of let us know in the school supply list. It just said tennis shoes. Her teacher said leggings were ok, and I said no way. Yoga pants are not outerwear. So we'll look for sweat pants. Band had a list of special drum mallets, sticks, and a practice pad that she needs, so to the music store this weekend in the bigger town.
Husband and I had a good brunch at an old people's diner that we really like in the bigger town. Picked up a bushel of peaches, gassed up the truck, got the mail. We'll be going to a fancy dinner in a bit. I'll need to look presentable. A good bottle of champagne in the fridge.
Little granddaughter put on her muck boots for chores. The pup missed her.
So via the forum, your granddaughter is eternally 8 years old, but I think she's older than that now. That has to be difficult going from such a small school to a much larger one.
Also~ Happy Anniversary 💐

Big storm last night, knocked the power out and generator came on. But alarm clock didn't reset itself because of the ten second delay, so glad I woke up a bit ago. Little granddaughter's first day of school and I needed to wake her up. Was only five minutes later than what she requested so not bad. Bus comes a little after 7 am. Having coffee, then getting chores done right away and we're going out for brunch. Also a fancy dinner later. Anniversary today.
hope the granddaughter's first day went well and happy anniversary!!

Guys who can fix things are hard to come by, mouth piece managers are not, maybe someone up the chain clued him in??
The business owner is a total optimist to a fault. He thinks all is fine if it’s running…. But in reality we all know equipment never breaks down until it’s used in the field and is needed. So “screw preventive maintenance” and the necessary costs. Haha

It’s a kinda long story. I ‘was’ the mechanic there, but headaches and hassle with management made me want out. They hired a ‘replacement’ … I stayed as a machine operator for same pay, which ain’t bad… and no headache's with that job… :rolleyes:

The headaches of keeping one companies stuff running as the company mechanic is never worth the hassles of have to put up with the cheap skate ism. I tried it as part of my semi retire strategy. the work is the work, the playing the don't step on toes and not ripping people a new one for not using propper chain of command is another. I preffer to work the odd weekend or long day to that crap.

Well...
I caught little Skunky this am.

Kitty food, boiled eggs and apples finally enticed it in.

My neighbor stopped by yesterday and asked me how you going to get it out.

Well...I'm kinda planning as I roll, I told him.

He asked that I didn't shoot up his trap..doesn't want a bunch of holes in it.

So..after work, I rolled home, watered n fed..fired up truckie and off me and little Skunky went on either a;

Mission of Compassion
Or a
Operation of Stupidity...

I'm a great student and can exist in both diciplines fluently by now.
I'm a softy at heart who often likes a touch of trouble and challenges when it comes to critters..and men come to think of it. 🫨

I think I just had a spontaneous self discovery..🫠

Anyways..we arrive at a end of a road nestled by a bubbling creek. Green grass , trees and shrubbery grace gentle hillside. No houses close by and no livestock other than cows grazing in a field.

This is it.

I'm either going to get a non romantic full facial of the butt juice kind ..

or i will drive home with a lighter heart that I chose to grace my universe and good mojo in a act of compassion to a critter that has caused me a few weeks of grief.

I grabbed the trap, leveled it up between my legs to hold it,
said a little prayer to the Universe and God
And opened the door.

It took a moment..and a shake...but Skunky plopped onto the ground..did two little side bunny hops and scrambled into the green grass without a fuss.

Mission accomplished..

Attachments

• 20240813_161311.jpg
    20240813_161311.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Compassion won and was rewarded, if they didn't stink so bad they are painfully cute

Compassion won and was rewarded, if they didn't stink so bad they are painfully cute
I got away with out using the reply button ,THIS time

My coworkers actually have one. They found as a baby in a ditch on their cattle ranch. They got their vet to demusk it n told me they are pretty cool critters.
But I agree..they really are cute buggers and I'd like to believe my adventure and prayer was heard.
Either that or this young one had enough of being in a trap all day n was tapped out.
Works for me..

The headaches of keeping one companies stuff running as the company mechanic is never worth the hassles of have to put up with the cheap skate ism. I tried it as part of my semi retire strategy. the work is the work, the playing the don't step on toes and not ripping people a new one for not using propper chain of command is another. I preffer to work the odd weekend or long day to that crap.
I’ve been playing this one with ‘proper chain of command’ … it’s the only way to keep my job at this point. And if he makes me look like bad guy to our clientele… F him… his day is coming. But that’s out of my hands… God will be his judge.

So how’s this for irony? Two years ago I was three days away from losing my job for not getting a particular vaccine. Right now I’m going through the training so that my employer can pay me extra on my hourly rate to give that vaccine to people. They are hopelessly short of technician immunizers. None of the other technicians want to do it despite the extra hourly and the flat bonus just for doing it. There will also be a bonus for the whole pharmacy based on the total number of vaccines administered. My pharmacists are concerned because their most experienced and knowledgeable tech will be sitting in a chair poking people with needles.

On a backpacking trip years ago there was one came in the shelter we were in. It wondered around looking for something to eat, then is layer down next to one of the guys there. He ended up petting it. That thing purred like a kitten
I feed and put water for one that comes to my place ..
spray is defense only ...she never did spray me so far

I feed and put water for one that comes to my place ..
spray is defense only ...she never did spray me so far
they are actually really fierce fighters, I have seen inter skunk fights, nasty

Tuesday August 13th 2024

Took care of critters this morning then left grocery shopping
Here and there
Not much traffic on highway that was great
I had a discussion with a Walmart employee that recognize me
each time I go there 😊
Why people I dont know always talk to me *getting into a conversation *
that is funny ...but I like it ! It put a smile on my face most of the time

*I still feel sad ..thinking of my Uncle who died
He was feeling so young inside he was a ray of sunshine
My Aunt told me he didnt suffer he suddenly died from heart failure
like * Just passed heart stopped* ☹️
He was 85 years old and he loved animals !!!! 💐

I feel a tiny bit exhausted of my day though

Good nite sleep well

Just got home a few minutes ago. The granddaughter did fine here by herself today. She just now took the side by side down to check the mail. It takes her about 30 minutes to drive to the mail box and back.
Today's high temp was in the low 70's, plus we had .05" of rain. I don't think I've ever seen any rain here in August before.

So via the forum, your granddaughter is eternally 8 years old, but I think she's older than that now. That has to be difficult going from such a small school to a much larger one.
Also~ Happy Anniversary 💐
Ha Ha. She would hate to be eternally 8. That's when she came to live with us. She will be 13 in ten days. A teenager.
After mucking out the french drains in the geese area (they mucked up today and I went knee deep), and collecting eggs for me, and a shower, she was in a much better mood. She made herself a cream cheese avocado grilled sandwich and watched a scary movie with the pup while we were out. She seemed better.

not feelin' so great and layin' low. still had to work.
Got a class coming up next week, will be busy with that. My boss asked me about a certain date in the future, if I would be working that, then said, if you're still here. I thought what the heck in tarnation? Somebody has been not keeping confidences. I read to keep confidential stuff confidential, just write it down, burn the paper, tell God and be done.
@Bacpacker that freaks me out that they think your heart isn't strong enough for surgery, yet you work hard outside all weekend, well sort of, and when you get off work. I don't get it.
Heart surgery is very major, I would know. All the stuff: lower your salt intake, don't drink much alcohol, stop smoking cigars, cut back on coffee, eat less red meat, I know, man. Been there too. Last time the cardiologist and my regular doctor checked me over and looked at my blood work everything was excellent. Prayers always.
@Amish Heart she's 13!!! And Levi is still hanging around.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back