What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bear got in one of my orchards...well he actually got in 2 sections...broke a section of peach tree out and somehow got hotwire coming under driveway disconnected feeding an enclosed orchard and then got in it and hammered two pear trees full of pears. one tree is broke in half height wise too.....first time in 14 years of trees being planted that bear got in fence...i had them trees loaded before too....its part of it though to be in edge of the wilds.

i am tired from this week...mentally more so or maybe equal to physical portion. its all good..moving forward with changes of life. more purging happened late this evening so one less truck to deal with soon.

found out neighbor old farmer and korean vet is in VA Hospital in real bad shape...his heart is giving out on him down to 20% function...93 years old....he is in a lot of pain...i hope he goes fast now..i dont want him to suffer.
Bear is tedious to process but tastes great barbecued 😉

Bear got in one of my orchards...well he actually got in 2 sections...broke a section of peach tree out and somehow got hotwire coming under driveway disconnected feeding an enclosed orchard and then got in it and hammered two pear trees full of pears. one tree is broke in half height wise too.....first time in 14 years of trees being planted that bear got in fence...i had them trees loaded before too....its part of it though to be in edge of the wilds.

i am tired from this week...mentally more so or maybe equal to physical portion. its all good..moving forward with changes of life. more purging happened late this evening so one less truck to deal with soon.

found out neighbor old farmer and korean vet is in VA Hospital in real bad shape...his heart is giving out on him down to 20% function...93 years old....he is in a lot of pain...i hope he goes fast now..i dont want him to suffer.
Let us know if you see that bear doing a pole dance with those trees 😉

It was a rough day at work. Started out OK, no rain for once, but then the sun came out early on and it got humid! I wasnt even doing the hard work. I was running that old spiker again. (@12icemaker it is a Harsco machine.) The temp hit 90 but it felt much hotter. Then we had machine breakdowns, arguments, frustrations, thrown sledgehammers and hard hats, a perplexed mechanic, a changed plan that would've been better if we didn't change it, and we barely got done what we needed to get done today. Just a regular day at work, I guess...

I just got back to the hotel and I feel like I've had my Azz kicked. All I want is a shower and sleep...
I can relate alot...

My neighbor just called to warn me a bear is in the hood again.
I have my truck loaded n ready to go to the dump..was going to do it today..after work..but was too tired and figured I'd wait till tomorrow.
So now I had to park my stinky garbage filled truck in my shop..uggh..

iu

holy cow yall...i just checked shipping status of my two books just in case...its showing its in hands of usps now..both packages...it took OSM from july 23 in secucaus,n.j till aug 16th in raleigh,n.c to get it in usps hands in raleigh. i aint holding my breath till package's are open...lol

not sure if i posted about this here or in rant thread....lol

holy cow yall...i just checked shipping status of my two books just in case...its showing its in hands of usps now..both packages...it took OSM from july 23 in secucaus,n.j till aug 16th in raleigh,n.c to get it in usps hands in raleigh. i aint holding my breath till package's are open...lol

not sure if i posted about this here or in rant thread....lol
It’s truly befuddling how they can take so long to do something so simple.

It’s truly befuddling how they can take so long to do something so simple.
Then you don’t know anyone who works at the Secucaus postal facility. It’s unbelievable how screwed up it is. And the sheer volume of mail that goes through it. The town right across the river from mine is in their realm of distribution. During Covid we were mailing prescriptions to patients and the ones that lived in that town took 5-7 days. The ones in the next town in our distribution realm took 1-2 days. Same distance from our store just different districts.

Got up, said screw the workout, did some stretching, made some coffee and now I am the patio with my laptop, a cup of java and the cool 64 degree air. Taking it all in before satan's butthole opens up and pushes us near 98 degrees today. Date night will be indoors thank you very much. Before all that I have some serious cleaning and organizing to do. Today is purge day in the big garage, making two piles; one for donation which will go in the back of the Chevy and one for the big dumpster.

Regular chore stuff this morning, and need to take little granddaughter to the bigger town to get sweats for gym, and find the music shop for her band gear. All the rabbit cages need to be cleaned out this morning, too, and lots of tomatoes need to go to the freezer for now. Husband wants good steaks and steak fries for dinner, and four more days till we are swamped with company, so more housework to do.
That's all I know for today, but we'll see what goes.

Sitting out on the back deck watching the sun come up and listening to a bunch of coyotes yipping and yapping. The temp is in the low 50's this morning. Yesterday's high hit 70 degs. It might be a little warmer today.
Need to go to town later to pick up the serpentine belt for my truck and some materials for the new coop.

Got up, said screw the workout, did some stretching, made some coffee and now I am the patio with my laptop, a cup of java and the cool 64 degree air. Taking it all in before satan's butthole opens up and pushes us near 98 degrees today. Date night will be indoors thank you very much. Before all that I have some serious cleaning and organizing to do. Today is purge day in the big garage, making two piles; one for donation which will go in the back of the Chevy and one for the big dumpster.
iu

I got up eariler than usual on a weekend but I went to bed early last night.
I so wanted to sit outside and watch the stars pop out but was beat. To many nights with only a few hours sleep hit me hard and I crashed as soon as the birds went to bed.
I'm up n running tho now!

Whew hew!

I watered everything while the sun rose above the mountains!

Reminded me of that grateful dead song that would be blasting out of the Sawyers shop in the am as the sun popped over the mountain when I lived on coast.
The fog was usually still hanging out thick in the morning but as soon as the sun came, it's beams of light pierced the tall old spruce redwood and alder branches through the fog creating kinda a fanned Lazer beam swaths of light through the forest onto our buildings and rigs.
Soon, the fog would slowly dissipated and as it did it seemed there was a 🌈 in every droplet shining through the trees.

That place was magical..

Anyways....
I'm up..everything fed n watered..I'm downing coffee..going to get the pups a good hike in before it gets to the mid 90's ..
Then get a dump run in and..do stuff..well see.
Maybe tonight I'll watch the stars come out..me my pups n the stars...

Reminded me of that grateful dead song that would be blasting out of the Sawyers shop in the am as the sun popped over the mountain when I lived on coast.
The fog was usually still hanging out thick in the morning but as soon as the sun came, it's beams of light pierced the tall old spruce redwood and alder branches through the fog creating kinda a fanned Lazer beam swaths of light through the forest onto our buildings and rigs.

hooch said...rigs....i am probably only person on here knows what a rig is...maybe ladylocust.....i think i love you now.

i know you know what a crummy is too....lol...or a 6 pack....and no yall its not beer...lol

no question what industry you been around for sure.

p.s. talky tooter !

Last edited:
hooch said...rigs....i am probably only person on here knows what a rig is...maybe ladylocust.....i think i love you now.

i know you know what a crummy is too....lol...or a 6 pack....and no yall its not beer...lol

Anyways....
I'm up..everything fed n watered..I'm downing coffee..going to get the pups a good hike in before it gets to the mid 90's ..
Then get a dump run in and..do stuff..well see.
Maybe tonight I'll watch the stars come out..me my pups n the stars...
?!?...lOL...!

Think I shot a groundhog last night, not sure. He flipped and tumbled and his back legs didn't work right but he managed to pull himself into his burrow. Which goes below my shed. Been out there this morning doing a lot of weedwhacking to clean up my mess around the shed and get at the area where his burrow is, and inside the shed smells like a dead mouse. I wonder if that's him, and if the smell comes up through cracks in the cement floor? Or if he isn't decaying under there, oh joy, I have to deal with something dead in the shed. Which is still, including the outside, cluttered and littered and dumped with all the debris and boxes and STUFF from moving here.
I seriously need to clean it all up and organize and downsize, but I've been putting my energy into trying to get the greenhouses up.
It doesn't help that my brother lost his house, my dad and my husband both passed away, so when I sold up and moved everything from everyone landed in my shed. And I just don't seem to have the gumption to deal with it all.
But this morning I got the perennials planted that I picked up yesterday, and my young helper is coming in this afternoon. Hopefully with his help I'll be able to get the second baseboard and both waistboards done on the new greenhouse, and then I can start framing the doorways on the ends. I've stood up the second endwall on the greenhouse I moved here, and need to go through and level and straighten and tighten the bolts on the framework. Then perhaps I'll be able to get plastic on both of them before the snow flies. Eight months behind schedule but it is what it is, I guess.

Today was going to be a good day; both sons had driving theory tests, and pass or fail, we were going for a coffee together.

Only one son actually did the test (failed by 3) the other one wasn't allowed sit because 'he wasn't on the list'.
I was picking up dog food, so he ran to find me up the town, as I had his phone in my bag. (Not allow take phones in) He ran back to show them the confirmed email, but couldn't access it on his phone - no signal.
I came back to find him sitting in the car, pretty stewed.
I rang the help desk -because the actual driver theory place didn't - to find out when I booked them in (its hard to get an appointment, so when one opened they were at work so I did it) anyway I had, for some reason, booked one for a different theory office down the country. And that was 5 months ago. I don't know how it happened.
So now there are no appointments and he'll have to wait for a cancellation or possibly next year, because there is still a backlog from Covid
Husband and daughter are off to see AC/DC, I have a splitting headache and feel I shouldn't be let loose with anything online or important for a while!
On the good side I did sort the payment I made to the wrong company last week, refund on the way- what is wrong with me this weather?!

p.s. talky tooter !
Rigs? It could be a head rig in a saw mill, or it could be a drill rig in the oil field, or a truck could be called a rig, could be a welding rig (pipeliner). A crummy was a rig used to haul the fallers out to the woods, usually an old 4 wheel drive Dodge Power Wagon with 3 rows of seats. Wish I had one now.

p.s. talky tooter !
Rigs? It could be a head rig in a saw mill, or it could be a drill rig in the oil field, or a truck could be called a rig, could be a welding rig (pipeliner). A crummy was a rig used to haul the fallers out to the woods, usually an old 4 wheel drive Dodge Power Wagon with 3 rows of seats. Wish I had one now.

Thought I was going to have to go to the pet store, but Im told no.

So, I will have to go out and water the lawn, as it will be 103* today ... tomorrow and Monday it will be 105*!!! Getting tired of this heat, and the outrageous electricity bills that are coming.

Exciting huh?
I am sure you would love that kind of temperature 40f 😊
1723911619398.png

Dragging around from a long night of sleep get up do a little trip for someone, back in wak up to call and check if a person got up, back to sleep and wake up stiiffff as a board, pre death Rigor must be todays gripe HEHEHEHEH.

Got so much to do, grass grows and we are always mowing.
hedges and bushes climbing for the roof and clipping is a pita.
The more stuff you have growing the more work you have to do,
We processed 22 pounds of peas Thursday and yesterday, cut 2 acresand kept the princess yesterday.
Worked on getting the insulation I have had for months on the garage doors again for a few blocks

This morning I planted one raised bed for fall. Then I went for a scouting walk, 82F with a light rain so I wore a rain coat... By the time I finished my 2 hour walk I was soaked from the inside out... Got home and no clean clothes (socks) so had to do laundry, while waiting for my socks I did the dishes and cleaned up a bit in the kitchen. Socks are in the dryer now, once they are out I can put on some shoes and do the lawn chore... I love the weekends because it gives me a chance to rest up. :)

The pups kept moving..I think they planned it..

Fire on the mountain was the song!! How do you upload onto here?

Latest posts

Back