What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few days ago I discovered a strange sort of bumpy rash on my forearms, slightly itchy...I did a little reading and it seems to be a sun rash.

Really looking forward to having A/C!

I had a cousin who got sun rashes. She had to wear long sleeves, pants, huge hat, cotton gloves. Working in cotton fields every summer we teased her. Said she was trying to get out of work!!! Poor kid was always drenched in sweat. What was the treatment for sun rash? Just curious, wonder if it’s liver related?

@Neb Funny, just posted in another thread about my dad when he began to have trouble regulating his body heat. It was about the same time as this pic, couple years after maybe. I was worried that day though, the weather man said some areas were over 112f heat index. It was hot!!! I was at the co-op that morning when it opened and bought this umbrella. Mounted it on the tractor for dad before he started raking.

A shade makes all the difference in the world!! It seems 15 degrees cooler. I was hot that day too! For my tractor I cut a 4’x4’ piece of thin plywood and bolted it to the roll bar. It made it bearable, but took a break every hour, lots of water and gatorade. And yes! an umbrella is manly! 😁

@Ekatarina For me upper 90's, that’s warm, I might sweat a little but I’m comfortable. These days I’d make sure any activity would be in the shade. grew up in this, sort of used to it.

Bunc 01 ( 4)a.jpg

Found this one too... my grandpa long ago in a cotton field. Got to have an umbrella!!!

JD sm sm.jpg

Last edited:
Cleaned out everything below the deck, I haven't finished yet! Wife wanted to get the patio furniture out and pressure wash it, clean under the deck and stuff.
Never understand why she makes me start one job and before I'm finished, wants me to start another, is this a woman thing? Maybe one day I can get back to my garden and stuff, not holding my breath though.
Feet hurt, back hurts and going june 26th for CT scan because I have 2 hernias, so that will be a surgery or two coming up! Weeeeeee, life is fun!

So sorry @Pearl and @sonya123 - hope you are both on the mend.

Today is voting day, that'll be fun.
Still very cold and windy, with no future signs of sun. On top of that, we've only had random light showers, so not enough rain to keep the barrels filled. Nothing will grow well this year, and there will already be a shortage of some things. Even the hens are feeling it. :mad: On the hunt for a few more.
Lifted a few things and put them back into the poly in the hope they will grow better. Hit 13k words on my dissertation, so delighted with that.Between 2k and 7k to go!

So my chest pain is better. They gave me some pain pills Naxoprene that seem to work well, plus cough medicine ( just over the counter stuff really)

Husband is more sick of course. We are both drinking OJ now. I am still not hungry at all.

Lesson learned : if you fly on a plane at least get a flu shot. I used to get them every year at work and never got the flu in 20 years except once the swine flu and it was minor.
Other lesson learned: what we were doing here to avoid covid worked. We didn't isolate at all, and only wore a mask when someone made us, but we used hand cleaner all the time after going out in public. I still do. I did this before covid from going to theme parks in Orlando. We noticed after going to one someone always got a cold, so we started using hand cleaner and it stopped mostly. The other things is we don't go out to eat.
The doctor at the ER yesterday said he has not seen a serious case of covid in over a year btw.

Today I am going to do minimal animal care with son's help , and cook something plus dishes. I feel better but I thought I wasn't that bad yesterday morning either, so not overdoing it today

So is there anyone on here that has no gotten covid yet? Just curious

So sorry @Pearl and @sonya123 - hope you are both on the mend.

Today is voting day, that'll be fun.
Still very cold and windy, with no future signs of sun. On top of that, we've only had random light showers, so not enough rain to keep the barrels filled. Nothing will grow well this year, and there will already be a shortage of some things. Even the hens are feeling it. :mad: On the hunt for a few more.
Lifted a few things and put them back into the poly in the hope they will grow better. Hit 13k words on my dissertation, so delighted with that.Between 2k and 7k to go!
I noticed that too when we were in Ireland, it was very cold. We might have picked up that flu/covid on the bus there and not on the plane, or going out to eat.
Hope your weather improves. It's nice and sunny here today but not that hot, supposed to be high 70s

Eye update, I had some weird bug fly into my eye yesterday, hard and fast! Still puffy this morning, can see! Took an extra Loratadine before bed last night, seemed to help! Sonya, hopefully you feel better today, I never had covid! Heading outside to feed Buddy. I have a carpet cleaning job today! Nice hot afternoon on the way!

Yikes, Sonya, I was hoping it wouldn't be Covid when you described it. Hope you recover fully and quickly. Covid really really sucks. So does the flu.

Mountaintrapper, i hope your leg is ok.

Ekatarina, I hate the warm temperatures too.

I decided not to go anywhere today so I can rest. Cooked for Mom, fed kitties, refilled water for kitties, etc. Watching videos and reading up on relays, contactors, and such. Trying to figure out if the relay my friend linked could work for the pump setup.
I do wonder what part of my symptoms are covid and what flu, but I have not felt this sick from a virus ever in my life. I haven't even had a temperature in 30 years or more
I think some of my issue yesterday might have been panic attack....in hindsight, the not being able to breath part and some of the chest pain probably was. I just haven't had one in so long I wasn't thinking about it. The first thing they checked in the hospital was my heart and my oxygen level, and my Oxygen was 100% ( that is why they ran all the other tests to make sure it was not a clot or something) . I don't have any breathing problems today

oh and I hate any extreme temperature, hot or cold. Don't like over 85, don't like below 20

I tested for Covid several times with real symptoms and every time was negative. My employer required it. I had the first jab of a 2-jab shot and decided to not get the second jab. I was sick a couple times after things got back to normal but by then nobody was concerned about the testing. So maybe I’ve had it, maybe not. I’ll say not.
Sorry you’ve had a rough go of it, @sonya123
@Pearl glad your eye is not as bad today.

So my chest pain is better. They gave me some pain pills Naxoprene that seem to work well, plus cough medicine ( just over the counter stuff really)

Husband is more sick of course. We are both drinking OJ now. I am still not hungry at all.

Lesson learned : if you fly on a plane at least get a flu shot. I used to get them every year at work and never got the flu in 20 years except once the swine flu and it was minor.
Other lesson learned: what we were doing here to avoid covid worked. We didn't isolate at all, and only wore a mask when someone made us, but we used hand cleaner all the time after going out in public. I still do. I did this before covid from going to theme parks in Orlando. We noticed after going to one someone always got a cold, so we started using hand cleaner and it stopped mostly. The other things is we don't go out to eat.
The doctor at the ER yesterday said he has not seen a serious case of covid in over a year btw.

Today I am going to do minimal animal care with son's help , and cook something plus dishes. I feel better but I thought I wasn't that bad yesterday morning either, so not overdoing it today

So is there anyone on here that has no gotten covid yet? Just curious
I had covid but it was back in 2022. It was like a very bad flu case. I got to where it was hard to breathe and went to the hospital. They gave me an IV with with what they called a "super med pack" or something like that. I was out in 2 days. That IV thing was awesome!
Before, I could hardly get out of bed, but after the hospital visit, I was fine.

Been Up and Out already and posting Pics in "Garden 2024" so "Good Morning to All", Have a Good Day and 🐝 Careful Out there...!!!

iu

I WAS going to the doctor for this gout crap, I had an appointment, I was on time and all that.
THEN dumb illegal alien b**** tells me I had to get my insurance company to put her boss in as my primary, why in the hell didn't she tell me this when she made me wait two days to get a damned appointment? I told her she should be happy I could barely move or that palm tree would be coming in her lap and walked out. screw these people! in fact, screw the AMA too!

I WAS going to the doctor for this gout crap, I had an appointment, I was on time and all that.
THEN dumb illegal alien b**** tells me I had to get my insurance company to put her boss in as my primary, why in the hell didn't she tell me this when she made me wait two days to get a damned appointment? I told her she should be happy I could barely move or that palm tree would be coming in her lap and walked out. screw these people! in fact, screw the AMA too!
you probably just live in the wrong state
I had no problem at the hospital yesterday at all, thought they did a great job and didn't even ask for insurance until after they took care of me , much better ER experience than I ever had in Orlando . I think overall medical stuff in Virginia is better than it was in Florida despite their gazzillion doctors and hospitals

I went to the ER last week. THEY told me to go there.
The hospital was great, no fun pills but enough regular ones to get me this far, but now what? I'm going doctor shopping again Monday, I'm too pissed and in pain to screw with it anymore today.
Who's got a zig-zag? this pipe's getting musty.

I went to the ER last week. THEY told me to go there.
The hospital was great, no fun pills but enough regular ones to get me this far, but now what? I'm going doctor shopping again Monday, I'm too pissed and in pain to screw with it anymore today.
Who's got a zig-zag? this pipe's getting musty.
I have always been told that drinking pickle juice and eating pineapple will keep gout away?
Ahhh the zig-zag, those were the days!😸 That's what I need instead of these wimpy pain pills!!!!

I've chugged enough no-sugar-added cranberry juice to perm-stain my tongue red. LOL
Oh look, more blisters. heh. Under an ounce of weed is legal here in Ga. even the vape shops sell it.
Welp...time for a wake and bake, today was just dividing by zero.

Turns out I have both covid and the flu,
I sure hope you and your DH feel better soon!
My left leg wouldn't support any weight.
I hope your leg issues are being resolved!
Dr said he had to bump the bone on hip injection.
That doesn't sound like fun!
I had some weird bug fly into my eye yesterday, hard and fast!
Wow! I hope that gets better soon!

Well, not sure if it was a straight line wind or what but something took out the (only) red light in town out. Cracked 5 more poles in it's wake. Our power went out Tues afternoon and came back on last night. No power, no wifi. I continued to walk every day. Had to have oxygen delivered for DH as he was down to one small 5 hour tank. I bought plenty of ice to put in the chest freezers and refrigerator, so I think we didn't lose much.

Yesterday I picked up branches in our yard for a while.
This morning, walked first.
Went to Church and planted, fertilized and mulched some flowers.
picked up trash by road and in parking lot.
I'm going to make a pizza and rest some today!

Gonna bee getting kinda Hot in a couple of days and then again in the next week also... If any1 has Sensitive Plants, those branches blown down/off by the wind can make some good shade, if placed in the right spot...!!!

Well, not sure if it was a straight line wind or what but something took out the (only) red light in town out. Cracked 5 more poles in it's wake. Our power went out Tues afternoon and came back on last night. No power, no wifi. I continued to walk every day. Had to have oxygen delivered for DH as he was down to one small 5 hour tank. I bought plenty of ice to put in the chest freezers and refrigerator, so I think we didn't lose much.

@snappy1 is back!!! :woo hoo:

Back home...had to evacuate the house, the wheat field across the dirt road was on fire. Aaron the amish lad was mowing and spotted it. Got husband and pup and Aaron in the truck and drove down the road to the other neighbors to watch. The fire came up to the edge, but didn't cross the road. Thankfully. All houses, neighbors and animals are good. Looks like at least 100 acres burned. I've never seen a wall of flames that high. It was ready for harvest. No clue how it started, unless maybe someone thru a cigarette out the window. Half the town was here putting it out.
Getting ready to go to farmer's mkt, the post office, the pharmacy, and to pick up little granddaughter.

I've chugged enough no-sugar-added cranberry juice to perm-stain my tongue red. LOL
Oh look, more blisters. heh. Under an ounce of weed is legal here in Ga. even the vape shops sell it.
Welp...time for a wake and bake, today was just dividing by zero.
Hold on there a minute! You say under an ounce is legal in Ga! I need to come out from under my rock cause I didn't know that and I live in Ga!
Oh, Happy Days are Here Again! YEEEHAWW

I sure hope you and your DH feel better soon!

I hope your leg issues are being resolved!

That doesn't sound like fun!

Wow! I hope that gets better soon!

Oh how I miss the days of a one red light town! The town I was raised in only had 1 four way stop.
Times are changing and not for the good I believe.😿

Gonna bee getting kinda Hot in a couple of days and then again in the next week also... If any1 has Sensitive Plants, those branches blown down/off by the wind can make some good shade, if placed in the right spot...!!!
Never thought of that! Now I have to drag all them limbs out! I have used them for cover for all the feral cats but never thought about using them for the flowers!

Latest posts

Back