What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1721841475020.png

"Around 5,000 people were forced to leave the western Canadian town of Jasper early on Tuesday to escape approaching wildfires, the latest victims of what experts say could be one of the worst-ever seasons for fires.

"This is an evolving emergency situation ... we will provide more information as it becomes available," the local municipality said in a notice at 6.35am."

https://www.khaleejtimes.com/world/...e-western-canadian-town-as-wildfires-approach

Wildfire AB site just sucks now full of fluffs and links , mostly no info, so you have to go with second hand news, one neighbors says fire just west is out, another says it is contained Both pretty close to the action

it stopped raining long enough to take Otto for a hike up the mountain, and after reading about the fires in Canada ( hope you all stay safe !!) I am totally not complaining about the rain
we had a fire about 20 miles from here last year that got pretty big

husband took Ranger to repair shop ( also the dealer, no other place to get it fixed around here)

I didn't do too much today, after animal care this morning, it rained most of the day. A few little goats had to be dewormed and I did all of their hoofs. They don't absolutely need that yet, but it is easier to get them used to it early ( they are about half a year now)

The smoke is even worse today. The fires just to the west of us are over 400,000 acres burned. That sounds bad, but there are very few trees in this area. It's mostly grass and brush and burns very fast. It's in a very sparsly populated area. Took the wife to the eye doctor down near the fires. The freeway is closed heading west.

Somehow the horse found his way home. The fence might be down in more than one area. The dang elk are hard on fences. May need to let a few hunters up here this fall to thin the herd some.
Can I volunteer for that 🤤

To all with fires, are you aware of this site: https://inciweb.wildfire.gov/
I think it can do Canada also but have never tried so might have to see for you folks up north. If you click on the little flame, it does a popup of the info for that fire.
If y'all out east could push some of the rain out this direction, we'd be much obliged.

Thought I had another bag of cat food but was wrong. Ran out late last night. Around 3:40AM the cats were pouncing on me and whining. Mind you, they still had food in most of their bowls, but cats think its Ragnarok if every bowl isn't full. Boo was being persistent so I said "Boo, the store doesn't open until 6! I promise I will get up and go get your food when the store opens. Just give me two hours!" He chittered at me and parked himself at the foot of my bed for the next two hours. Two hours later he was reminding me of my promise. So I got up around 5:40, putzed around a bit, let Mom know I was going into town, and I went to get the cat food. I was the only customer in the store when I went in. A couple more people arrived after. They didn't even have self checkout open. They had it blocked off. I wanted a zero sugar tea from the fridge thingy in that area so I asked Hazel if I could go under the barrier and grab it and she said "That's fine". Hazel is a sweetheart. She used to live on the same street as my late elderly friend. I got the feed and a few items Mom had requested, plus some snacks for myself and headed back home. I ate some of my snacks and then took a nap until noon. Been playing around on my computer ever since. Well, I took a break for lunch. Got a large family size stoufer's ravioli to split with Mom and brother.

I keep checking the car sites looking to see if any new Ridgelines have been added.

So last I heard on our local fire it is out except for spot fires, post on FB from a local that is on the fireline.
now I have to find a better wild fire site, the one LL mention wont cross the border, can't say as I blame it

Just got home a little while ago. It was 105 when we came through town and 88 degs here at home. The wind is blowing pretty good right now and we're getting a lot of thunder, sounds like it's getting closer too. Not likely that we'll see any rain, just a lot of dry lightning and more fires. With the heavy smoke and thick clouds the sky has a very eerie look to it. The nearest fire to us, as far as I know anyway, is on the other side of the river. A couple years ago there was a fire that started about 40 miles south of us burning over 350,000 acres. It burned south, west and north of our property, and to within a mile of our west line.

Almost 9 pm Wednesday
Tomorrow grocery shopping for myself and my babies

64f light rain thundershowers and its really dark outside
Supposed to be breezy tomorrow with showers and in the 60s f

Sipping a ginger ale and I think I will sleep well..hopefully
I will take a Tylenol arthritis I have a bit of pain in my hands

Anyway sleep tight friends ..whenever 😉

Stay safe ❤️
Virtual hugs

Been there 4 times @Mountain trapper I know your have a plan.

In LA, I waited till half mile away, til I started Evac. Never got a notification of evac there for 2 of them. I drove out seeing flames getting on the freeway for #1.

Here, twice. Did a little box blading around house for #1.

Even before #2came up. Swirling lights in your driveway at 4:30am is a literally uneverving. I just had to load animals I could.

My Evac plan now is better than 2017 and 2020.

We got about 10 drops of rain out of this "storm". Usually we never get any rain during June, July, August and little if any in September, although it's not unusual to get snow in September. We're getting non stop thunder and dry lightning. It's still 80 degrees, humid and windy. Looks like we'll be on fire watch all night. The cattle are getting nervous, I hear them bawling over the hill. We'll go check on them later.

Last edited:
We got about 10 drops of rain out of this "storm". Usually we never get any rain during June, July August and little if any in September, although it's not unusual to get snow in September. We're getting non stop thunder and dry lightning. It's still 80 degrees, humid and windy. Looks like we'll be on fire watch all night. The cattle are getting nervous, I hear them bawling over the hill. We'll go check on them later.
Do you have sprinklers you can turn on around the place?

Do you have sprinklers you can turn on around the place?
Not really. Our well is too far away to give us much pressure. I do a good job of mowing all the brush and grass around the house and have working on thinning the trees.
We contracted with a company to thin trees and clear brush on 60 acres around the house. Not sure when they're coming out though.

I think it is done raining for now. So various animals will go back to their outdoor usual pastures.
2 bucks need their hoofs done , then I am all done with hoof trimming for now
Making some of the bread dough for the market today ( sourdough, rye and regular, foccacia and maybe one more haven't decided). The sweet stuff like the zucchini bread tomorrow
I wonder how long it will take to get the Ranger back. It's a huge hassle to not have it. We do have a ATV with a cart attached to move things but it's hard to start ( the push button doesn't work, so you have to start it like a old fashioned motorcycle by stepping on it)

Son and friend shot and butchered 3 big fat rabbits yesterday. Good! They were eating my little green bean plants!!
Anyone have a good recipe for rabbit?

Bo and I will walk in a few minutes.
Next, pick up my friend and go to town.
First thrift store, Dollar tree, Walmart and Aldi.
I think I will stock up today instead of waiting until the 30th. Just feeling a little unsure so I'm better getting ahead than procrastinating!

Coffee .Woke up looking for more blankets, that is nice, it has cooled of a bunch. still a smoke haze but I can see the 2 mil land mark clearly, yesterday morning the 1/2 mile away neighbors buildings were obscured.

Latest posts

Back