• Two New features staring today. - The first will security lock account if user didn't login for two years - The second will warn and security lock account if password found in data breach ( even if user is recently active) .. it will also warn users about weak passwords during registration. The compromised is from a data base list, and not from anything on this forum. If you are logged in all the time, this will not effect you. It only works when logging in.

Adventures in Country Living

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hurricane Beryl (Part 3)

The only other real prep work we had to do was for the animals, filling water containers (including the kiddie pools), and removing anything that could be a projectile.. lol)

I quite liked my mini vaca from work once the storm passed. Sitting out by the pools with a glass of iced tea and my feet in the pool was quite nice!

Seriously, it was a great way to cool off and one of them we used as "clean" water to "shower" with on the back porch. Oh, the joys of living where nobody can see you! LOL

Attachments

• 20240709_115618.jpg
    20240709_115618.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hurricane Beryl (Part 4)

We had alot of limbs down, and on huge casualty. One HUGE oak tree in the back fell across the fence, hit a couple small pines, that fell into the neighbor's pavilion, creating minor damage and knocking a tool cabinet over.

They are out of town so we went over and picked up the tools, and Mr TC took his chain saw and cut the branches and pines off their pavilion.

Fortunately we have great neighbors. I texted her and told her what happened and that it was a mess and we'd pay someone to cut up the tree and clean up the mess.

She said "No Worries. Things happen" So I guess we'll talk about it when they get home.

Good neighbors and the best!

(to be continued)

Last edited:
You are a good neighbor. My sister had a neighbor's tree fall across her chainlink fence and into the yard. She found out that it was not the neighbor's responsibility to get it cleaned up or for the neighbor's insurance to pay for it. Of course that was in MD where people aren't as friendly.
Sorry you lost a good tree!

It is a good news story and you made it through. You're a strong woman to pull Mr. TC through it.
Mr TC is a pretty tough, hard working, energizer bunny of a man. I was a little shocked at his reaction to not having a/c for a night. I kept saying "This would be our life in a real shtf scenerio, be thankful we'll have power back in a matter of days" .. but he was almost panicked. Kinda freaked me out.

I run scenerios and mentally prepare myself for alot of stuff (that may or may not ever happen) but then I already have a mindset for what needs to happen if something does.

It's almost fun for me. A test. A learning experience.

I was already counting jars and trying to figure out how i was going to can everything in the freezer if he couldn't find a generator... lol.

Hurricane Beryl (Part 5)

Gasoline.

Mr. TC and I took a drive into town yesterday evening to a) see if there were any work crews anywhere, b) check out storm damage, c) see if there was power in town.

The 3 or 4 gas stations in town had power, We were stunned at the lines at the gas station. The day AFTER a storm. I'm talking half mile lines! and stations running out of gas.

Then it dawned on me. Gas Generators. Everyone is having to pull out their gas generators and they weren't prepared with gasoline.

Thank God for propane! I would hate to stand in line for gasoline only to have the pump I'm waiting on run out of gas a car ahead of me! ouch.

Mr TC said the lines were just as long this afternoon as he was coming home from work (yes, he went into work half day Tues and all day today.) I work from home, so I was off as I had no power/internet.

All of our vehicles are full of gas, so we are good there.

(to be continued)

Hurricane Beryl (Part 6)

So I work from home, doing chart audits, for a hospital corporation. When my power started flickering Monday morning, (yes, I had punched in and was going to work until I didn't have power), I warned my managers, who knew I was going to be in the eye of the storm, that I was about to lose power. 10 minutes later, I did. around 9 am. And notified my managers.

At about 10 am one of my managers starts texting me to call her as soon as I could. I couldn't get a signal to call so I texted her that I was having a hard time getting a signal. She still wanted me to call.

I stepped outside on my front porch, wind and sideways rain, to try to get a signal and I called her. She explains that, per Corporate, they have to call and ask us a series of questions during an emergency situation. Ok.. ask away.

Manager: Are you safe?
Me: I was alot safer before I had to step outside in the storm to call you.

Manager: Do you have cell service?
Me: I'm talking to you on my cell phone... outside .. in the storm.

Manager: Do you have plenty of food and water?
Me: (Laughing hysterically) Yes.

Manager: Do you need help?
Me: What I need is to get off this phone and go inside. I'm fine, we're fine, can I call you after this hurricane passes?

For the love of God, what is wrong with these people???

They called twice a day to ask the exact same questions so they could submit some form to corporate.

(to be continued)

Last edited:
Hurricane Beryl (part 7)

To pass the time this morning after Mr. TC left for work, I feed all the critters (like every morning), then up potted some fig cuttings I had started, then I handwashed all my tanks, undies, shorts in a 5 gallon bucket and rinsed in another 5 gallon bucket, hand wrung them and threw them on the fence.

I have a clothesline, but we've recently moved a fence and I will have to find another location.

Then at about 10 am, I sat down and put my feet in the kiddie pool, checked my phone for the outage map, saw that we had been assigned a crew and about 5 minutes later we had power.

I disconnected and shut off the generators and plugged everything back into the house. Internet came up, and by 1030 I was punched in and working.

Just under 50 hours without power.
Some folks are looking at up to 2 weeks, so we did ok.

The end. (unless I think of something else.)

Last edited:
glad you are ok, we used to live in Florida and went through many hurricanes. One damaged my inlaws house so much they had to live with us for several months, and one we had no power for weeks in Orlando, not even near the beach.
Grew up in Florida, on the Space Coast, so I get that! We are 100 miles inland here so I don't trip to much about storms. But Beryl was an impactful little storm to alot of people.

Grew up in Florida, on the Space Coast, so I get that! We are 100 miles inland here so I don't trip to much about storms. But Beryl was an impactful little storm to alot of people.
my husband lived in Vero after his parents moved there from Virginia
I lived in Florida most of my life too, but have no desire to ever live there again....too hot, too many bugs, too flat tooo everything lOL
Do you miss it?

It's almost fun for me. A test. A learning experience.

I was already counting jars and trying to figure out how i was going to can everything in the freezer if he couldn't find a generator... lol.
I can see the fun in it. Like a challenge and whipping it’s ass…. good times.

Glad you made it through to continue the thread with more boring things, lol

my husband lived in Vero after his parents moved there from Virginia
I lived in Florida most of my life too, but have no desire to ever live there again....too hot, too many bugs, too flat tooo everything lOL
Do you miss it?
I don't, and now that my parents have passed, don't know if I'll ever go back.
Texas is hot, buggy flat.. lol.. but I love the country culture here. Never was a beach person, so don't miss living on the coast in Fla.. at all. If there is ANYTHING I miss, it's manatees! lol

Dang.

Walked out to feed this morning and found my 28 year old Arabian mare -- the one in my avatar -- dead in her pen.

She was demanding dinner last night, impatient because I wasn't fast enough. Sassy as usual.

I'm gonna miss that little bay mare.

RIP Regal Charm 1996-2024

DSC_3952.JPG

Last edited:
To Bryan to the co-op for some farm stuff today. Then lunch.
Chicken fried........ guesses?
20240720_115820.jpg

Truth.. and we love Chicken Fried Bacon at Sodolaks! Just not everyday, because we also love our hearts.

Latest posts

Back