• Two New features staring today. - The first will security lock account if user didn't login for two years - The second will warn and security lock account if password found in data breach ( even if user is recently active) .. it will also warn users about weak passwords during registration. The compromised is from a data base list, and not from anything on this forum. If you are logged in all the time, this will not effect you. It only works when logging in.

Friday Fives

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread seemed to have petered out but I’m going to list my questions anyway. No one has bugged me about where the questions are. If this thread dies, it dies. Any volunteers for next week?
1.) How much land do you have and do you raise any livestock.
2.) Do you garden at all, if so, what do you grow?
3.) What do you do for a living, or had done if you are now retired.
4.) What holiday tradition is your favorite and why?
5.) If you were given 5 million dollars, what would you do with it?

I hope none of these questions were repeats.
1. a 1/4 section there are cattle on the place, and bees
2. not really this year, spring was too cold, a couple of over season carrots for seed and a bunch of nettles
3. Mechanic, welder, machinist, heavyhaul trucker. easying into semi retirement or is it semi retardedness
4.Canada day. install hangover
5.If I told you I have to either get one of those Men in black pens or the other thing

This thread seemed to have petered out but I’m going to list my questions anyway. No one has bugged me about where the questions are. If this thread dies, it dies. Any volunteers for next week?

The newness and the excitement may have faded, but it’s still active enough. It’s cool learning about others.

My answers:

1.) Just a small plot of land in city limits with a house and garage. No livestock, but for animals - my dog, and some that trespass… raccoons, opossums, rabbits, etc… and even deer.

2.) I don’t garden but would like to.

3.) Currently a machine operator but have been a mechanic, welder and fabricator, factory maintenance, auto body repair and painter.

4.) Christmas, for the family get togethers and the general spirit of the season.

5.) Pay off my house, buy prepping supplies, food, etc… and build off road camper, and buy land for shtf retreat.

Last edited:
1. We have 23 acres and raise chickens, turkeys, geese, and rabbits
2. The garden varies each year. Some things better or worse from one year to another. This year...tomatoes, lettuces, green beans, 2 types of potatoes, beets, 4 types of peppers, broccoli, cabbage, grapes, blackberries, summer squashes, winter squashes, spinach, carrots, we have 10 fruit trees but some are pretty young still.
3. Am retired and take care of husband and the farm. But before that I raised five children and owned and operated a private school in New Mexico, Husband managed satellites for the military, many different programs in lots of places.
4. Love Christmas. I love Christ.
5. Probably dole out a bunch to our kids

1) I have 10 & DW has 9.5 acres, so 19.5 acres, not at this time, mostly fruit trees.
2)yes, asparagus,corn,tomatoes,cukes,peas,butter beans,winter square, greens,carrots & onions/garlic. Berries & fruit trees.
3) salt bath heat treater, Machinist,welder, mechanic, painter, a little plumbing & landscapers/designer.
Now that I am retired I work the farm & help my son with his electrical business..
4) 4th of July, warm weather & cooked meat outside. But I like them all, any reason to hang with family.
5)Pay off immediate family debts, invest the rest in land & trust, give a % to charities.

Last edited:
5 acres. Horses, chickens, rabbits, dogs.

Yes, pretty plants for the yard, from palms to flowers / Food: Asparagus, figs, lemons, oranges, climbing spinach, tomatos, peppers, cukes, squash, strawberries, herbs .. all the usuals

Chart audits for a hospital corporation .. from home.

Not a big holiday tradition person. I do like to decorate for Christmas, but I guess sunrise service on Easter would be my fav. Whether we are at home, camping by a lake, or at church. We love communion at sunrise on Easter.

Give to church, favorite charities, buy my daughter a house and her choice of a vehicle, pay off our truck, buy the property behind ours, then invest in some upgrades on our place. I'd love a housekeeper/cook.. but I don't like people in my house! lol

1.) How much land do you have and do you raise any livestock. Just over an acre with access to a few acres of woodlands
2.) Do you garden at all, if so, what do you grow? Yes- different veg, herbs, and berries, and trying to develop more native plants in the wilder areas.
3.) What do you do for a living, or had done if you are now retired. Worked in rural development and tourism, and a past life as a veterinary nurse
4.) What holiday tradition is your favorite and why? We always have a family party in August, as there is a few birthdays
5.) If you were given 5 million dollars, what would you do with it? Offer to buy the land either side of us, plant trees, donate some, give some, live off the rest I guess. It would go a looonnnggg way- we don't need much.

Thank you, great questions

1.) How much land do you have and do you raise any livestock. We have just over ten acres currently but my family has a a lot of acreage that I plan to move onto someday after retirement. We have chickens, hope to expand to goats and a couple of pigs, maybe a cow or two.
2.) Do you garden at all, if so, what do you grow? Yep, tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, green beans, asparagus, broccoli, peppers, kale and lettuce. Hope to expand to an orchard with apples, cherries, plums, peaches and figs.
3.) What do you do for a living, or had done if you are now retired. Military, about a year to go.
4.) What holiday tradition is your favorite and why? Christmas. I love watching my kids open presents and smoking a turkey.
5.) If you were given 5 million dollars, what would you do with it? Pay off everything, invest have other half will be for toys and the kids.

I know it's not my turn, but I would like to see Old School step up and volunteer!!😉
I was going to reach out to him but I see he already accepted your offer.

Done… I’ll volunteer.
I’ve had some questions in mind, but will give it some more thought.
Thank you for stepping up. I’m sure you’ll have great questions.

1. none
2. yes, in raised beds, flower pots and stock tanks
Jalenpeno's tomatoes, green beans, carrots, etc.
3. Military Police,
4. All major holidays
5. Retirement, finish paying off debts of less than $2500.00
Buy small hobby farm, fence it.

1. 5. places all together about 35-40 acres. dont' have time for livestock. If I did probably horses and a few cattle.

2. Very little, peppers close to the house, any thing else is deer food.

3. Some things are not available, Schools,> Military NG 11E20, CDL> while NG> textile mill then Mechanic shops, > EMT,>Service station manager> electronics ATT,> Southern Railway> Heavy equipment operator> Retired RRB> Investment Manager Trust.

4. Christmas because of the general spirit before and getting to have quality time with most of the family.

5. Put it in an a trust split into two trust one revocable, one not.

The irrevocable for all profit except maintenance fees and a 2% growth factor to be disbursed to
St Judes, Le Boheur, and Shriners Children's Hospitals.

The other half to a bloodline trust with an investment panel to grow the trust and promote the family investments and businesses.

10 point something acres, but maybe 15-20% of it is concrete. No livestock.

I have a 5 gallon bucket of dirt with a couple slices of heirloom tomato in it on the patio, does that count?

I conduct survival extractions for people lost in those corn mazes. I am also a professional racoon interrogator.

I don't really have any holiday traditions so I will go with visiting Arlington on memorial day when I am able.

Move to Wyoming and reestablish basically the same life I have in this ******** of state with a larger investment portfolio and increased returns and capital gains.

Not at the moment- sold our place and haven’t yet found a new one.
Yep- what I plant is one thing. What grows is another 😂
I have a degree in teaching but have been out of the schools for some time. We have a metal fabrication shop.
I guess my brain went to the tradition part rather than the holiday part- when the kids were little, for Thanksgiving we would make the peanut butter and birdseed bird feeders and hang them out for the birds. About a week or so before Christmas, Hubby and I go up and get our own tree from the forest and when we get back to the truck have real European drinking chocolate (sometimes with a little bit of hiccup in it) 🤤
Land and secret Santa to folks who have need and are deserving. We no longer donate to organized charities- sadly with reason. So we try to find deserving souls and “bless” them quietly 😉

I have been fascinated by metal fabrication, but I think I'm a little old to try to take any classes. I'd love to know how to weld and to use the other metal fabrication tools.
It’s heavy and dirty. I don’t weld, but it’s funny when someone wants something and I grab it and put it on the saw for them or they see me with a grinder 😂. I try to stay away from that now that we have some good employees.

1. What would you name as the 8th wonder of the world?
(an unofficial title typically given to the accomplishments of modern man)

2. What time frame or time period would you like live in?
(can choose the time and place)

3. When you leave the house with a get home bag... What's in your GHB for food?

4. What forum site was your 1st Home?
(a description is fine if you don't want to name it)

5. What's your primary news source?
(radio, TV, internet... particular news agency)

I encourage participation, even from newbies to this thread and this site. Feel free to pass on questions.
As for who's up next? I don't have any particular person in mind at the moment.... but I'll probably send an invitation via PM, or look for volunteers via PM.

1. What would you name as the 8th wonder of the world?
(an unofficial title typically given to the accomplishments of modern man)

2. What time frame or time period would you like live in?
(can choose the time and place)

3. When you leave the house with a get home bag... What's in your GHB for food?

4. What forum site was your 1st Home?
(a description is fine if you don't want to name it)

5. What's your primary news source?
(radio, TV, internet... particular news agency)

I encourage participation, even from newbies to this thread and this site. Feel free to pass on questions.
As for who's up next? I don't have any particular person in mind at the moment.... but I'll probably send an invitation via PM, or look for volunteers via PM.

Excellent questions, Old School.

1.) Mount Rainier. Absolutely majestic. Most impressive natural sight I hve ever seen, second to the Grand Canyon.

2.) No question the Old West in the United States; about post Civil War to 1900.

3.) Always food that is ready to eat. Not food that is ready to cook. Nuts, trail mix, energy bars, peanut butter, beef jerky.

4.) I believe it was SurvivalBlog.com. James Wesley Rawles site.

5.) TV, and usually FOX News.

1. The World Wide Web. Love it or hate it, it has changed everything.

2. 1960-1970's. The idea of hitting a hippy with a club is appealing. I am positive that the food was better, guns & ammo were inexpensive, women were more naive and cars were awesome! Plus I feel like this was the golden era of buying property or getting huge returns on investments. But I still get reasonable healthcare, good television and far less rainbow people crap.

3. Mainstay Ration Bar, a couple protein added granola bars and a few electrolyte enhanced drink mixes.

4. It was called something like A Prepared World or Preppers Society.

Edited to add: I may have misconstrued the question. If we are talking any forum, it was AR15.com followed by 20 more gun related forums. The ones above was my first preparedness or survival forum.

5. Conservative talk radio. Play it in my car everywhere I go, while I am reloading or cleaning guns, while I am smoking meats, etc. Otherwise I have a few mostly trustworthy websites I will check out: American Military News, One America News, Epoch Times, Western Journal, etc.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back