Gas oven temp wont adjust - any tips?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a very old Kenmore apartment size oven. The stovetop works fine. But when the oven lights up, the flames are set on high and turning the knob down to low doesn't lower the flames. Is that a regulator problem or maybe the thermostat? I'd like to fix it myself if I could...
I’d check for a loose knob or a bad valve. The thermostat may be bad.

Maybe bad packing in the valve, once you open it it is wide open the adjustment for the thermocouple is bad it may be stuck or be bad if it will not regulate.
How old is it, is the temp electrically or pure adjustable thermocouple valve regulated.
It's OLD old. I'm guessing 1960s or maybe even 1950s. Theoretically, it's my landlord's responsibility. But, I have the cheapest rent on the planet so I try to fix things if I can and I don't mind spending a little to fix little things myself.

It's OLD old. I'm guessing 1960s or maybe even 1950s. Theoretically, it's my landlord's responsibility. But, I have the cheapest rent on the planet so I try to fix things if I can and I don't mind spending a little to fix little things myself.
The only advice I can offer is: if you raise the cook top up to access the control valve, don't lower it back down and set it on the oven control valve stem.
By the time you find what is making the hissing sound, the pilot lights for the surface units will light it off with a whoosh.
...BTW, it takes eyebrows a full month to grow back :(.
(don't ask me how I know)

It's got to be the valve. The temp control knob turns the oven on fine. There is about 20 seconds from the time the knob clicks until gas flows to the burners inside the oven. The pilot flame ignites the burners just fine. I just can't turn the flame down once it's started. Maybe there's a regulator of some kind, or a thermostat. There's an identification tag under the stovetop but all the writing is faded and unreadable. Only the raised metal stamping is legible. I'll try and get it figured out but if I can't figure out what model this is it'll be hard to figure out what part I need...

It's got to be the valve. The temp control knob turns the oven on fine. There is about 20 seconds from the time the knob clicks until gas flows to the burners inside the oven. The pilot flame ignites the burners just fine. I just can't turn the flame down once it's started. Maybe there's a regulator of some kind, or a thermostat. There's an identification tag under the stovetop but all the writing is faded and unreadable. Only the raised metal stamping is legible. I'll try and get it figured out but if I can't figure out what model this is it'll be hard to figure out what part I need...
It’s toast. Or is good for nothing but making toast.

Given more thought… there’s a good chance you could save it by replacing the thermal coupler.

They’re not exactly generic, but if you wanna put enough effort in to it… it could be done without having the production model, make and serial number.
I discovered that there is an appliance repair company about an hour away from me that also serves DIY customers. Next week I will call them and see if they can offer me any help

Given more thought… there’s a good chance you could save it by replacing the thermal coupler.

They’re not exactly generic, but if you wanna put enough effort in to it… it could be done without having the production model, make and serial number.
If it has one. I’ll jokingly say they were the first step towards AI

They aren’t really necessary, they just make such appliances more user friendly

If you can figure out which part it is taking it in, with the make would go a long ways towards finding a replacement. I’ve dealt with a similar business. I was very pleased.

Speaking as a landlord @Spikedriver , I would let the landlord take care of it. Our property has 4 units (including mine) and I only use licensed and insured repair companies. If any of my tenants fixed something like that themselves I’d probably have kittens.

But then again, I get nervous when there’s a power outage and I worry just thinking one of them is using candles around kids, dogs, and cats. Thatks why I bought battery operated emergency lanterns for each of the apartments.

Speaking as a landlord @Spikedriver , I would let the landlord take care of it. Our property has 4 units (including mine) and I only use licensed and insured repair companies. If any of my tenants fixed something like that themselves I’d probably have kittens.

But then again, I get nervous when there’s a power outage and I worry just thinking one of them is using candles around kids, dogs, and cats. Thatks why I bought battery operated emergency lanterns for each of the apartments.
Good point.

We explicitly rule out the tenant doing repairs. Too many headache fixing what they fixed.

If that stove really is 40-50 years old, it is due to be replaced.

Ben

Yeah if it has a thermostatically controlled temperature control , unless it is plugged into an electrical outlet and has more wires than just the ones going to the light (If there is one) It will have a thermocouple the same as the pilot light on later model pilot safety valves, it is a sealed tube filled with a liquid that has a bulb at the end that attaches to the line going into the Bake/Broil splitter there will be a loop of the tube in the oven that will pick up the amount of heat in the oven and transfer it to the mechanical valve that opens and closes the gas flow valve to maintain the temp.

If it has only an on and off or high-medium-low valve for bake and one for broil (NO TEMP control) and you regulate the temp by adjusting the knob like you would on a common grill.

The valve is the only thing that should come into play.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neb

My landlord encourages it, up to a point. Such as, replacing the HVAC thermostat or the trap under the bathroom sink. I think what I might do, is discuss it with her. That's probably the best idea.

Latest posts

Back