Nuclear War & Survival Help

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we have Pheasant here, wood pigeons and waterfowl too. I am also partial to rabbit.

When I grew up in the Midwest, we had pheasant everywhere. They got hit on the roads routinely.

We have pigeons (which they call doves), feral hogs, deer, rabbit, snake, squirrel, ducks, geese, prairie chickens etc. I think up near the panhandle near the Oklahoma border is where you can find more pheasants.

What non-hunting (and even many hunting) people who live in the cities don't understand is that the game far out in the countryside are not like the game in the burbs or even nearer rural areas. They are not used to people. The sounds, the smells we make are foreign to them. They hide, they run and steer far clear of us. They will know you are there long before you know they are there and will be long gone.

Hunting in the cities will be easier than in the countryside for a while. Problem will be that game will be exhausted quickly do to ease of capture and more mouths.

I give it about a month before they have exhausted all their food supplies (except maybe rats) and are forced to leave for lack of food. When they head out, I do not think, it will be to a future they are expecting.

Last edited:
Yep, I now have to buy3x t shirts just so I don't look like some macho kid. By the way,...who in the world designed long John pants now days? A penguin or Jerry Nadller. The cuff is above my knees , and the waistband rubs the hide out of my armpits. WHO is built like that? It's like the designer was Humpty Dumpty.

I keep pigeons . They are allowed to leave the pigeon loft as they desire and fly about my homestead , putting on a beautiful show . I feed them corn but they also forge for themselves . Lately they having been eating buds from an elm tree . When SHTF , I have the option of eating pigeon eggs . I have tried them . They taste fine but are smaller than chicken eggs and have a richer taste . -- I also have chickens so chicken eggs is my first go to .

When I grew up in the Midwest, we had pheasant everywhere. They got hit on the roads routinely.

We have pigeons (which they call doves), feral hogs, deer, rabbit, snake, squirrel, ducks, geese, prairie chickens etc. I think up near the panhandle near the Oklahoma border is where you can find more pheasants.

What non-hunting (and even many hunting) people who live in the cities don't understand is that the game far out in the countryside are not like the game in the burbs or even nearer rural areas. They are not used to people. The sounds, the smells we make are foreign to them. They hide, they run and steer far clear of us. They will know you are there long before you know they are there and will be long gone.

Hunting in the cities will be easier than in the countryside for a while. Problem will be that game will be exhausted quickly do to ease of capture and more mouths.

I give it about a month before they have exhausted all their food supplies (except maybe rats) and are forced to leave for lack of food. When they head out, I do not think, it will be to a future they are expecting.
we have an obesity crisis in the UK, up to two thirds of the population is clinically obese, some morbidly obese.
they wear there clothing so tight, especially the women, we have renamed it "sausage skin".
most of them cant walk to the nearest McDonalds never mind out of the city and into the countryside, not that they know anything about living in the countryside.

I will step out and perhaps make a member or two angry . It is what I consider fantasy for someone to think they are prepared simply because they think they know more stuff about surviving than their neighbor . Being of the notion that they are smarter will not take the place of physically preparing . After the nuking is done , if an individual hasn't physically prepared then they will likely be another body in the body count , that is if anyone should want to count them .

I will step out and perhaps make a member or two angry . It is what I consider fantasy for someone to think they are prepared simply because they think they know more stuff about surviving than their neighbor . Being of the notion that they are smarter will not take the place of physically preparing . After the nuking is done , if an individual hasn't physically prepared then they will likely be another body in the body count , that is if anyone should want to count them .
In Texas we have a saying for that "All hat and no cattle".

On the flip side, I see some people gathering supplies without the knowledge necessary to use them. In any TEOTWAKI there will be no internet. You will not be able to "google" anything. Essentially, throwing good money after bad.

Prepping like most things in life is balance.

Last edited:
we have an obesity crisis in the UK, up to two thirds of the population is clinically obese, some morbidly obese.
they wear there clothing so tight, especially the women, we have renamed it "sausage skin".
most of them cant walk to the nearest McDonalds never mind out of the city and into the countryside, not that they know anything about living in the countryside.

Houston Tx is one of the fattest cities in America.

I don't find obesity appealing in either men or women.

People are different shapes but, make an effort to make the best of what you have.

--- The link is to a poll taken in 33 countries . The question was " do you believe World War 3 is coming " ? I will let you guys find the results of the poll for yourself , as there is much more on this link than the World War 3 question , such as there have now been 106 attacks on electrical substations . You probably didn't hear that on your television .

Last edited:
We've got two basic alternatives-
1- We can butt out of Ukraine on the grounds that it's none of our business, and let Putin take it over.
2- We can keep supplying arms to Ukraine and risk provoking Putin into going nuclear against Ukraine and against us.
Personally I'd plump for '1'.

--- The link is to a poll taken in 33 countries . The question was " do you believe World War 3 is coming " ? I will let you guys find the results of the poll for yourself , as there is much more on this link than the World War 3 question , such as there have now been 106 attacks on electrical substations . You probably didn't hear that on your television .

76% of Americans polled believe WWIII is coming. Yeah, if 5% are actually reasonably prepared, I would be shocked. Prepping is not an inexpensive thing. Some may have extra food stores, some ammo and a gun and call themselves preppers. They have really sacrificed nothing in their lifestyles to really prepare for more than a short-term inconvenience.

You can categorize the level of preparedness:

• Supplies (Do you have all you need and replacements for all should something break/be destroyed)
  • Knowledge (do you know how to do something or have physical books that could help?)
  • Experience level (have you actually done it?)
  • Personnel/specialization (do you have numbers in your group/people who have experience in a complex area such as medicine, tactics, homeopathy, agriculture etc)
  • Location/lifestyle changes (do you live the lifestyle or is it a side hobby)
  • Time (how long could you remain self-sufficient?)
  • Alternate plans (Plan A might be making it to a BOL or bugging in. What if you couldn't then what? What if plan B doesn't work?)
  • Diversification of preps (Storms, floods, dam burst, fire, nuclear war, civil unrest, nuclear winter, EMP, pole shift, climate change, CME, plague of locusts, captain Tripps, zombies, golden hordes etc)
Those things determine your tier:

Tier 4 preppers. Ready for a bad storm, job loss or hurricane. Short term, nonrenewable preps. <6 mo. Haven't really thought much about the reality of what would happen to society once the electric grid is wiped out. Still have some trust that the government can not completely fail and that any event would be short lived.

Tier 3 preppers, have a means to grow food, in enough space to actually feed their group as well as having extra food stores >12 mo. They have at least a thousand rounds of ammunition, and enough guns for everyone. They have multiple sources of water, an alternate source of electricity and transportation. They know some things and have done some things but, don’t have a depth of experience/knowledge that a group can provide. WSHTF they plan to ride it out with just immediate family/close friends. They fudge on things like keeping their fuel tanks topped off or spending money on entertainment/paying too much for useless things. They really want to get to that tier 1 level but, lose focus, sometimes wondering if they are just wasting time and money on something that is never going to happen. They might be nervous about what other people (neighbors, friends, family members) might think of them.

Tier 2 preppers have all of the above + the ability and knowledge to make their own and/or replace items. They have formed a group of some sort, but, are not yet training together/coordinating. They have some ability for their group to specialize but, may have gaps. They have given up cruises and resort vacationing for more useful learning vacations. They no longer care what anyone close to them would think if they found out they were preppers (but, they try to avoid it for operational security reasons). They may have moved or even given up their jobs near the population centers. Every dollar of disposable income goes to acquiring something that will further their preparations. They may be saving or have acquired a BOL. Preps are semi-diverse but, some gaps such as nuclear shelters, complete energy independence or the ability to renew resources under all circumstances, may still fall short.

Tier 1 preppers are those who work and train together, have no gaps in their specializations, have acquired a BOL or two or even turned a BOL into a BIL. They have made the lifestyle change and prepping is an absolute daily priority for them. They are completely energy independent (wood gasification vehicles etc). They have no need for community water systems, outside security, fire or medical, sewage or garbage disposal. They have completed diversification whether it is a grid failure or nuclear winter, they are ready.

I would say that <1% of preppers have attained tier 1. That would be about .000001 of the American population. Most of us will fall short either because of time or financial constraints.

Last edited:
76% of Americans polled believe WWIII is coming. Yeah, if 5% are actually reasonably prepared, I would be shocked. Prepping is not an inexpensive thing. Some may have extra food stores, some ammo and a gun and call themselves preppers. They have really sacrificed nothing in their lifestyles to really prepare for more than a short-term inconvenience.

You can categorize the level of preparedness:

• Supplies (Do you have all you need and replacements for all should something break/be destroyed)
  • Knowledge (do you know how to do something or have physical books that could help?)
  • Experience level (have you actually done it?)
  • Personnel/specialization (do you have numbers in your group/people who have experience in a complex area such as medicine, tactics, homeopathy, agriculture etc)
  • Location/lifestyle changes (do you live the lifestyle or is it a side hobby)
  • Time (how long could you remain self-sufficient?)
  • Alternate plans (Plan A might be making it to a BOL or bugging in. What if you couldn't then what? What if plan B doesn't work?)
  • Diversification of preps (Storms, floods, dam burst, fire, nuclear war, civil unrest, nuclear winter, EMP, pole shift, climate change, CME, plague of locusts, captain Tripps, zombies, golden hordes etc)
Those things determine your tier:

Tier 4 preppers. Ready for a bad storm, job loss or hurricane. Short term, nonrenewable preps. <6 mo. Haven't really thought much about the reality of what would happen to society once the electric grid is wiped out. Still have some trust that the government would not completely fail and that any event would be short lived.

Tier 3 preppers, have a means to grow food, in enough space to actually feed their group as well as having extra food stores >12 mo. They have at least a thousand rounds of ammunition, and enough guns for everyone. They have multiple sources of water, an alternate source of electricity and transportation. They know some things and have done some things but, don’t have a depth of experience/knowledge that a group can provide. WSHTF they plan to ride it out with just immediate family/close friends. They fudge on things like keeping their fuel tanks topped off or spending money on entertainment/paying too much for useless things. They really want to get to that tier 1 level but, lose focus, sometimes wondering if they are just wasting time and money on something that is never going to happen. They might be nervous about what other people (neighbors, friends, family members) might think of them.

Tier 2 preppers have all of the above + the ability and knowledge to make their own and/or replace items. They have formed a group of some sort, but, are not yet training together/coordinating. They have some ability for their group to specialize but, may have gaps. They have given up cruises and resort vacationing for more useful learning vacations. They may have moved or even given up their jobs near the population centers. Every dollar of disposable income goes to acquiring something that will further their preparations. They may be saving or have acquired a BOL. Preps are semi-diverse but, some gaps such as nuclear shelters, complete energy independence or the ability to renew resources under all circumstances, may still fall short.

Tier 1 preppers are those who work and train together, have no gaps in their specializations, have acquired a BOL or two or even turned a BOL into a BIL. They have made the lifestyle change and prepping is an absolute daily priority for them. They are completely energy independent (wood gasification vehicles etc). They have no need for community water systems, outside security, fire or medical, sewage or garbage disposal. They have completed diversification whether it is a grid failure or nuclear winter, they are ready.

I would say that <1% of preppers have attained tier 1. That would be about .000001 of the American population. Most of us will fall short either because of time or financial constraints.

That's an interesting tier system. It could vary a bit, such as the lifestyle changes wouldn't be necessary for some. Going by this tier system I would say I'm not in a tier 1 group, but we are below 2.

That's an interesting tier system. It could vary a bit, such as the lifestyle changes wouldn't be necessary for some. Going by this tier system I would say I'm not in a tier 1 group, but we are below 2.

I'm not tier 1 either....trying but, not yet. And yes, not hard and fast or set in stone.

Going from 4 to 1 is an evolutionary process that can take decades.

Last edited:
That puts me directly into Tier 2 but only for the lack of needed training of diversified members and the nuclear winter scenario, I am a stand-alone prepper and after that a pure survivalist. The ability to hunt, fish, forage and build in the middle of nowhere and plant a full garden with fertiliser is fully covered. The needed hand tools, materials and abilities are covered. Just the lack of money stops any further advancement.

Reminds me of how gays try to blame monkeys for starting AIDS but I don't buy that at all; I mean since when do monkeys hang in gay bars?

That puts me directly into Tier 2 but only for the lack of needed training of diversified members and the nuclear winter scenario, I am a stand-alone prepper and after that a pure survivalist. The ability to hunt, fish, starve for meat forage and build in the middle of nowhere and plant a full garden with fertiliser is fully covered. The needed hand tools, materials and abilities are covered. Just the lack of money stops any further advancement.
Me ttoo. we 2 can survive I may not be the best hunter, ,but my families did not starve for meat. You have too do it for real, before you think you can think you can do it.

That's ok sis, ROUND is also a SHAPE.
Overweight is just another name someone uses to describe persons who are SKINNIER than they are to make themselves feel better.
It's not round or overweight. It's aerodynamic shape. An airplane with an bulletnose flys better too than an flat nose truck.

:ghostly:

Just the lack of money stops any further advancement.

Me three...lol. It isn't to say that a tier 2 couldn't survive most scenarios, only that there are some who have gone above and beyond what most of us are capable of in our preps.

There comes a point where I think each of us hits a "comfort zone" where we take a deep breath and say, we're going to do okay, even if TSHTF today. It might be rough at times but, we have the knowledge and emotional strength to tough it out for as long as we need to.

in Britain preppers, survivalists, homesteaders(called smallholders over here) and back to the land-ers, all number far less that 1% of the population, probably more like less that .05%, which means 99.5% of the population DONT prepare in any shape or form, of that .05% the vast majority only prepare for short term events, a few hours, a few days, a few weeks, nothing over a month.
I can probably count on the fingers of one hand those that have long term preps, can hunt, fish and grow their own food.

in Britain preppers, survivalists, homesteaders(called smallholders over here) and back to the land-ers, all number far less that 1% of the population, probably more like less that .05%, which means 99.5% of the population DONT prepare in any shape or form, of that .05% the vast majority only prepare for short term events, a few hours, a few days, a few weeks, nothing over a month.
I can probably count on the fingers of one hand those that have long term preps, can hunt, fish and grow their own food.

What % of your population are farmers/ranchers?

percentage wise that is 0.15% -of the population that are farmers, that percentage is decreasing every year as people get out of the industry.
the average age of a British farmer is 59, 40% are over 65, and I have personally known some over 80.
very few younger people are joining the industry due to the heavy work load, long hours and low wages.

That puts me directly into Tier 2 but only for the lack of needed training of diversified members and the nuclear winter scenario, I am a stand-alone prepper and after that a pure survivalist. The ability to hunt, fish, forage and build in the middle of nowhere and plant a full garden with fertiliser is fully covered. The needed hand tools, materials and abilities are covered. Just the lack of money stops any further advancement.

Tier 2 here also. No bunker. Not for lack of resources for one, but the unwillingness of my husband to have one put in. We do have a section of our basement set up for nuclear fallout. We have not trained together nearly enough either. Still adding to our stored food and body armor. Going to break down and purchase a couple of thermal binoculars.

Back