Rant for the Day (keep it clean)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.cnn.com/2024/07/27/business/haircut-women-men-more-expensive/index.html

Why do women's haircuts cost more than men's? I can tell you why. Because women are willing to pay for them. Men are cheap. Me, I cut my own hair with a motorized clipper attached to my vacuum cleaner. The vacuum sucks the hair up nice and straight and the clippers nip it off nice and even. There's even an angled attachment so you can taper things. The whole thing cost less than one lousy haircut - and I've been using it for 30 years.

It would work on women too, but I doubt they'd use it. That's because women care what they look like. Men, they don't give a rat's a$$, or if they do, it's only the rear end from a very small rat. FWIW, I cannot tell a difference between my hair when cut with the vacuum cleaner vs. my hair when cut by a barber. I hope my cutter never dies, because I've heard that the new ones are made cheaper and kind of suck (har, har!) I do go to see my barber Larry on occasion. But usually it's years between visits. I just want to see how he's doing mostly. He's got lots of good stories to listen to.

This is one of my jobs with the vacuum cleaner. I don't think it looks all that bad. It suits my needs.

top.jpg

back.jpg

@Amish Heart Ugh. It really sucks that they are jerking you around like that. I hope they don't move the goalpost again and say you need even more PT to get approval. It's asinine. But they would rather have their patients die than actually cover stuff if they can avoid it. Insurance is one of the biggest scams in the country.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/07/27/business/haircut-women-men-more-expensive/index.html

Why do women's haircuts cost more than men's? I can tell you why. Because women are willing to pay for them. Men are cheap. Me, I cut my own hair with a motorized clipper attached to my vacuum cleaner. The vacuum sucks the hair up nice and straight and the clippers nip it off nice and even. There's even an angled attachment so you can taper things. The whole thing cost less than one lousy haircut - and I've been using it for 30 years.

It would work on women too, but I doubt they'd use it. That's because women care what they look like. Men, they don't give a rat's a$$, or if they do, it's only the rear end from a very small rat. FWIW, I cannot tell a difference between my hair when cut with the vacuum cleaner vs. my hair when cut by a barber. I hope my cutter never dies, because I've heard that the new ones are made cheaper and kind of suck (har, har!) I do go to see my barber Larry on occasion. But usually it's years between visits. I just want to see how he's doing mostly. He's got lots of good stories to listen to.

This is one of my jobs with the vacuum cleaner. I don't think it looks all that bad. It suits my needs.

View attachment 158421

View attachment 158422
Nice haircut! That reminds me of a slightly funny story. When we lived in Singapore I took my brother to get a haircut. He was overweight and looked like he had breasts. The prices were listed as men's haircuts being $20 less than women's haircuts. I said he needed a trim and they said it would be $40. I said, "It should be $20" and they said "No, haircut for girl is $40" I said "I'm not getting my hair cut, HE is" and pointed to my brother" and they said "She still girl, it cost $40". I said "HE's my BROTHER. Not a girl!" The clerk then apologized and said "His cheeks are so rosy, I thought he was girl". We had a good laugh and they charged the right price. Adjacent story, when he went to have surgery on his broken foot the nurse asked him if he had a brassier he'd like to remove and he said "I'm not that kind of guy" when they realized he wasn't a female patient. He was constantly mistaken for a girl in Singapore.

I've been tired and coordination has been off the last few days. Been getting lightheaded randomly. I don't know if its the weather or what. I have an appointment with the doctor on August 2nd. Yesterday I had some post-nasal drip and the mucus caught some food I was trying to swallow so I ended up choking and having to cough up my entire meal to dislodge it. That happens from time to time but it is so aggravating. I chew my food very thoroughly, but sometimes stuff-- mostly meat-- gets stuck.

I've had trouble keeping Mom's canula's on. She pulls them loose. Went through 2 in less than 24hrs. I also had to change her insulin cartridge sooner because it wasted so much insulin when she wasn't getting it and her sugar was staying high. Now, previously I bought a bunch of the adhesive patches for the freestyle libre (which she refused to use) on clearance. I remembered I had them, found one of the packs, and then cut one of the patches to fit and used it to hold the latest one on. Seems to be working for now. They are a pain to put on, but worth it.

I started to feel like I was going to choke again on my food today. I could feel it getting stuck and my brother told me to force a belch. I had to work at it, but I tried that and it worked. I have to make sure to put water in my mouth along with the food while chewing before I attempt to swallow.

Editing to add that I'm pretty sure the insulation in my attic is asbestos. It looks like the grayish yellow stuff in the picture on this page. https://www.strongguard.com.au/news/what-does-asbestos-insulation-look-like-pictures/

Last edited:
Covid is still real, even for the vaxed.

I posted about my sister and her husband doing an Alaska cruise and my sister came home with Covid.

Of late, my mom and her husband developed Covid after a small off shore boat vacation.

Air flights were involved with both trips. And, they didn’t get sick until home. Coincidence?

I'm sure she knows the difference, Mt Trapper.
Survived the school clothes shopping trip for little granddaughter, we did ok. Daughter came along and shop some, too. Also loaded up on feed at Atwoods, so I had lots of help unloading. Neighbor boy Levi just happened to come into the driveway, so he helped, too.

This property developer is already on my last nerve. First he shows up wanting to talk to me, then today I get a letter that my neighbors are already getting on board and I should too. Money, money, money! I might scooter down to the neighbors and ask if they have already talked to him or what. The property on the other side of me hasn't had a human on it for 3+ years. According to my video camera that covers the road anyway. I am afraid someone bought it and now they want my property and the lot behind me. Probably represents rich people who want to build fancy houses outside the city.

This property developer is already on my last nerve. First he shows up wanting to talk to me, then today I get a letter that my neighbors are already getting on board and I should too. Money, money, money! I might scooter down to the neighbors and ask if they have already talked to him or what. The property on the other side of me hasn't had a human on it for 3+ years. According to my video camera that covers the road anyway. I am afraid someone bought it and now they want my property and the lot behind me. Probably represents rich people who want to build fancy houses outside the city.
Do you own the property and he wants to buy it? If so, hold out......the longer you do, the more your property will be worth. OR if you have no intention of ever moving no matter what, tell him it'll be a cold day in he!! before you leave. Maybe then, he'll move on b/c at that point, he knows things just got really really expensive.

Call the county office to find out who owns the property next to you or go to their offices and find out for yourself with their public computers. Maybe you could buy it? A letter in the mail never hurts. You could find out what the taxable value is, the address of the owners, and how large the property is.

Do you own the property and he wants to buy it? If so, hold out......the longer you do, the more your property will be worth. OR if you have no intention of ever moving no matter what, tell him it'll be a cold day in he!! before you leave. Maybe then, he'll move on b/c at that point, he knows things just got really really expensive.

Call the county office to find out who owns the property next to you or go to their offices and find out for yourself with their public computers. Maybe you could buy it? A letter in the mail never hurts. You could find out what the taxable value is, the address of the owners, and how large the property is.

There are really only 3 or 4 properties on this road: one has been sitting empty as long as I have been here, that one is at the end of the road. I have the next one, and then there is the family next door and the empty chunk of land where they gravel meet the highway. That one is maybe 7 or 8 acres of nothing. I am going to talk to the neighbors but I may go look up to see who owns the empty land and the seemingly abandoned place. My realtor looked into it when I bought mine and never got a response after multiple attempts.

So I scootered over to the place next door. The woman and her kids were all outside lightly working or running through a sprinkler. I pulled up and a couple of older maybe early teen boys walked up like they were going to fight me until they apparently figured out who I was. The mom walked over and I asked if her husband was home, she did not say but asked what I wanted. I explained the above and she said that they too have been contacted and are waiting for an offer. After a brief conversation my take away was that they want to move North to get to a more conservative state, so if the money is good enough they may take it and go. I was hoping to hear "we will never go!" and the racking of guns.

"Rant for the Day" thread: This is not a rant. It is an anti-rant.

Today, Amazon set a new speed record for delivery. From the time I hit "submit" on my online order (it was a CO detector) until it was sitting on my doorstep was three hours and ten minutes. Holy cow! I don't know how they do this.

Today, Amazon set a new speed record for delivery. From the time I hit "submit" on my online order (it was a CO detector) until it was sitting on my doorstep was three hours and ten minutes. Holy cow! I don't know how they do this.

You must have a warehouse nearby. I once got a phone case the same day I ordered it, but that was more like 8 hours not 3.

Fast deliveries seems to happen a bit lately, one of my customers ordered a wire harness for a machine, monday morning i think ,supplier thought 7 to 10 days, (it was in stock). it showed up at his yard, wednesday, and now I have to put it in today, I was going to do nothing this week end, but that was before Girls problems

I forgot to mention that a few days ago a bug flew into my ear when I was carrying stuff in. Even though I got it out, it still bugged me and kept itching. I went at it with a q-tip too aggressively. Started feeling sick and had a followup appointment with the doctor for something else. I almost canceled the appointment bc I didn't feel like driving in but decided to go. Eardrum is swollen and I had a fever. Pharmacy couldn't fill the RX that day. Went home still feeling like hot garbage. Headache, dizzy, uncoordinated, exhausted, stabbing pain in ear, etc. Fever broke Saturday morning. I still managed to get some laundry done, got sweet feed for the cows, cooked for Mom, etc. Picked up my RXs today. Ear drops were $50. Ugh. Been sweating all day and still feel cruddy. Slightly nauseous still so I couldn't eat much of dinner. Boo has been worried about me and woke me up so I remembered to drink some water. He's sitting on my lap right now, which is slightly helping my upset tummy.

McMaster-Carr used to be that good, they might still be but it's been a coons age since i ordered from them.

McMaster-Carr used to be that good, they might still be but it's been a coons age since i ordered from them.
I order from McMaster carr quite often. Generally for work,, but sometimes ill need a particular tool around here. Their hand tool quality is very good for all the stuff I've bought over the years..
Delivery is almost always next day

Last edited:
She was born an "it" and the doctors decided she was a female. She has male chromosomes and produces male hormones, which makes her a male. I don't know what is in his pants.
Not according to her family. According to her family she was born female, it's on her birth certificate. And the IBA only claimed she was male without saying what they used to qualify her as male and the IBA was subsequently banned and deemed unreliable. The IBA had a Russian president and they disqualified two women claiming they were not really women but were not found to be credible. The disqualification only happened because she defeated a Russian boxer and the speculation was that she has XY chromosome but it was never actually proven and, again, the Russian president and the IBA were deemed unreliable. If she actually does have XY then she would have Swyer syndrome, which means she has female genitals, uterus, etc but lacks ovaries. But, again, they haven't proven that is true.
She clearly did not have male genitalia to be deemed female at birth. She was born appearing female and was raised female. So she is not transgender and its not like she's a man who grew up and lived as a man who suddenly wanted to fight women. People are trying to make this into an issue about transgenders when it is not. Frankly, the hatred toward her is alarming. People don't choose to be born with genetic anomalies like being androgynous or hermaphrodites. They shouldn't be treated badly because of it-- also, since the claims of the IBA are unsubstantiated so we don't even know if she is anomalous. Her birth certificate and photos growing up all show her to be female. If she had male genitalia the doctors would not have declared her female.
https://www.snopes.com/news/2024/08/02/imane-khelif-olympics-boxing/

Not according to her family. According to her family she was born female, it's on her birth certificate. And the IBA only claimed she was male without saying what they used to qualify her as male and the IBA was subsequently banned and deemed unreliable. The IBA had a Russian president and they disqualified two women claiming they were not really women but were not found to be credible. The disqualification only happened because she defeated a Russian boxer and the speculation was that she has XY chromosome but it was never actually proven and, again, the Russian president and the IBA were deemed unreliable. If she actually does have XY then she would have Swyer syndrome, which means she has female genitals, uterus, etc but lacks ovaries. But, again, they haven't proven that is true.
She clearly did not have male genitalia to be deemed female at birth. She was born appearing female and was raised female. So she is not transgender and its not like she's a man who grew up and lived as a man who suddenly wanted to fight women. People are trying to make this into an issue about transgenders when it is not. Frankly, the hatred toward her is alarming. People don't choose to be born with genetic anomalies like being androgynous or hermaphrodites. They shouldn't be treated badly because of it-- also, since the claims of the IBA are unsubstantiated so we don't even know if she is anomalous. Her birth certificate and photos growing up all show her to be female. If she had male genitalia the doctors would not have declared her female.
https://www.snopes.com/news/2024/08/02/imane-khelif-olympics-boxing/

Snopes is nothing but left wing lies. They are the least honest site on the internet and this has been proven some many times I can't believe they are still up.

When you fail an internationally approved biological test administered by the Olympic committee and it clearly indicates you are a male, with male chromosomes, and male hormones, then you are a male. Just claiming and pretending doesn't make it any more true than claiming and pretending he is a unicorn.

Snopes is nothing but left wing lies. They are the least honest site on the internet and this has been proven some many times I can't believe they are still up.

When you fail an internationally approved biological test administered by the Olympic committee and it clearly indicates you are a male, with male chromosomes, and male hormones, then you are a male. Just claiming and pretending doesn't make it any more true than claiming and pretending he is a unicorn.
Snopes wasn't the only site to say it. She passed the test to qualify in previous years and only "failed" after she defeated a Russian boxer. Only then did they suddenly claim she didn't pass. Just because a corrupt organization that has been banned due to being unreliable claimed she didn't qualify as female doesn't mean its true. The fact is that she was born and raised female.
Also, the other "man" was also born and raised as female. IBA is not a reliable source of info. It makes me sad that people are falling for this anti-trans BS over something that does not involve transgender people.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/imane-khelif-algerian-boxer-gender-1.7283949

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back