What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got my room booked for tomorrow night. Going up on the mtn and do a little mushroom hunting Wednesday. I sooo need this! It'll be a tough day, got to be in Birmingham for a VA appointment wed afternoon. I'll be brain dead by the time I get there. Hopefully I'll be able to drive home that night, if not then I'll just get another room.

No plans today but see after the critters, laundry and throw a few things in a bag.

Edit, just checked the weather, 90% chance of rain tomorrow and wednesday. Guess I'll be a muddy mess when I get to the eye hosp. Given my history with creeks at flood stage I might better pack extra clothes (and a few towels). :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thus far I have fed kitties, let puppies out, unjammed float lever (haven't fixed it yet), and annihilated those ****** blackberry weeds in the back. Almost 3 hours in my rake broke but I had already cut most of them down. Only had a few stragglers. I know I missed a few, but the yard looks better (if you consider junked up with garbage better).

The cows came to see what I was doing and wanted to inspect the weed pile I made. Kept hoping they could find food in it. I was just about to throw in the towel when the rake broke bc I was overheating again-- despite the cool air today.

I'm about to go to Walmart to pick up my thyroid meds and get some oil. Not sure if I'll get to laundry today. I do still have some clean clothes to wear tomorrow for the dental appointment. I might grab some pajamas and socks that don't have holes in them though. Then its on to the oil change.

Todays current mission is attempt to start some cuttings off some of our roses including our 75+ year old yellow lady banks. It’s going to sadden me greatly to leave these roses behind. I know they will be torn up and developed. So my hope is to take some rooted cuttings with us when we go. Going to be trying cutting in green house domes. Try #2 to propagate roses. Attempt #1 was a complete failure.
Also hope to look a bit more into what it’s going to take to transport plants and animals to another state.

I am not just going to park myself on the recliner
DH would actually hate it if I did that. We like a few shows together, but I don't like all the dramas he watches. I'm more of a comedy and adventure girl!
Got all my planting done! Even a few habaneros and some catnip. Also potted some basil that I have had in the house over the winter. and got the muscadine seeds into the ice cream cones with some dirt, finally. They are in the window now.
Taking the rest of the day off.

Tomorrow, I have a doc appt. in the morning. Then have to go to Walmart, hardware store, thrift store and Dollar Tree. Will be taking tomorrow afternoon off too!

My brother is under the wather so I was back on The Ridge to start clearing the hugelkultures and get them ready for planting. Started with the top four boxes.

They were a mess after laying fallow for 2 years.

20220321_134838.jpg

I was pleasantly surprised to find some volunteer garlic was growing so I split them up and managed to plant the top bed almost full with what I found. Talk about loaves and fishes!

As I finished each box I threw in sun flower, pumpkin and water melon. It is too early to expect good results but I figured I had the seeds so give it a shot.

20220321_163855_HDR.jpg

The sun flowers are new for me but considering sun flower oil may by in short supply this year I am going to experiment. The Princess did get a press for extracting oil a few months ago.

20220321_163929_HDR.jpg

So that is 4 of the 11 boxes ready to go. Plans are to grow onions and shallots which like garlic are stinky enough to defend themselves without fencing. The only critter that does mess with them are the wild turkeys. They don't eat them but they make nest in the boxes. The onions give 5hem cover and the boxes offer a good view while sitting on the nests.

I notice something unusual that I need to address. I found tracks of a quad. So it looks like someone was trespassing. Gonna have to get some signs up.

Behave

Ben

Just ordered some new salvia seeds (only ever bought expensive plants before) and some catnip seeds. Time to make our own catnip. If were successful I’ll dry some for Christmas presents since I’m making cat toys anyways with remnant fabric.
Went through the pantry, labeled, sorted and put away stuff I’ve gotten the last few weeks. It’s was gettin a bit cluttered.
Still haven’t made it out to cut rose cuttings. Green house is opened up and the tomatoes are doing great so far. Even starting to see a few peppers trying to show themselves. The mixed marigold seeds I saved from last years garden are starting to germinate.
Watching the weather stream and working on today pet meals right now. Need to pull stuff and start prepping travel meals for the pets so when the time comes we’ll be ready and won’t have to worry about it. That ways we can just toss them in a cooler, grab supplements and go.
Hope to get to work on my mother in laws quilt tonight for a bit after hubby leaves for work.

I'm about to go to Walmart to pick up my thyroid meds and get some oil. Not sure if I'll get to laundry today. I do still have some clean clothes to wear tomorrow for the dental appointment. I might grab some pajamas and socks that don't have holes in them though. Then its on to the oil change.

So. . .are you wearing those pajamas to Wal-Mart? To the dentist? Or do you always change oil in your PJs? 😁

--

When my sister and I were heading off to Wal-Mart, I went outside and asked Dad if he wanted to come so he could get new sneakers. He was like, "Yeah, I probably should."

And my mom goes, "You're not going into the store dressed like that!"

"What I'm fashionable," Dad teased.

"Mom, it's Wal-mart. People go in their pajamas and other crazy outfits."

Mom sighed and bobbed her head. "Oh, alright, just brush your hair."

Dad and I had a good laugh over that.

Last edited:
I saw on the news this morning in the bigger town that a travel trailer, a van, and a utility pole were on fire last night. The street listed is one that little granddaughter's no good mom and the boyfriend live on, but it's a very long street in an industrial neighborhood. They actually stay in a falling apart 5th wheel that they've totally trashed that is parked at a dumpy auto repair place, in the back. No electricity, no water. They had knocked the door off, and put a hole in the ceiling to air it out when they run some kind of little propane heater. And sure enough, it was their place. They lost their van that was not running and not insured, too. So Red Cross put them up in a motel. I doubt they'll leave it unless they're forced to. She called to talk to little granddaughter tonight, and told me about it. I asked her how the fire started, and she says she doesn't know. She was sleeping. I'm guessing a cigarette.

Busy day at work. Found out our other Admin has a job interview Wed. If she get the position, that will leave our group with no one to cover the role of 2 people. It'll hurt badly, but I don't blame her for trying for a better job. Same as the other girl that left Friday.
Got home and took the trailer and got a load of compost. Got back home and got another bed topped off and covered what wood was in the second bed. I still need to add more wood, but I thought adding compost as I add wood would end up with less settling and need less to top it off in a year or 2. I haven't done that with the other beds and the 2 from 2 years ago had settled by over a 1/3.
Gonna add more wood to it tomorrow and hopefully be able to top it off with the rest of the compost. After that 2 beds left to build and fill

Today, feels like it was a long day, lots going on but nothing fun. I did work in the garden a bit, I got all dirty. I came back in and did 2 loads of my "dirty" garden type clothes, went upstairs in my boxers and the wife had the front door open.... I closed it.... I figure it's a waste to do laundry with dirty clothes on....

I'm pooped I will call it a day shortly. This whole week will be packed, but I'm off on Friday and I already have 2 weeks worth of projects planned. ;)

LOL. I have no qualms about wearing PJs to Walmart. But I picked them up to have something comfortable to change into after my shower. I found some socks in an overnight bag so I didn't need to buy any.

Took my truck for an oil change at the tire shop. Had tires checked. They replaced TPMS for way cheaper than dealership wanted. Put Seafoam in the gas tank and fueled up. Picked up prescriptions & took a shower at my friend's house. I had to dodge puppy crap over there. I can't escape it. LOL. I would have picked it up but my back was not cooperating. At least I got puppy crap cleaned up at home before I left.

Dental appointment will have to be rescheduled due to severe storms tomorrow in between where I live and my dentist's office. Schools are being shut down.

Mom just came out and asked about food. Time to see what she wants.

Todays current mission is attempt to start some cuttings off some of our roses including our 75+ year old yellow lady banks. It’s going to sadden me greatly to leave these roses behind. I know they will be torn up and developed. So my hope is to take some rooted cuttings with us when we go. Going to be trying cutting in green house domes. Try #2 to propagate roses. Attempt #1 was a complete failure.
Also hope to look a bit more into what it’s going to take to transport plants and animals to another state.
Yellow roses are my favorite 😊
Had to make a haul over to the powder coater and pick up a load. Had to do what I refer to as "creative strapping." Two pallets of freshly coated rails side by side will want to squish together so have to prevent that for the trip. Made it and all is well. Nice rains most the day. Hubby is trying to give away all my plants I've started 😳 I don't understand why I can't keep 88 tomato plants and 3-4 doz pepper plants 😂

Yellow roses are my favorite 😊
Had to make a haul over to the powder coater and pick up a load. Had to do what I refer to as "creative strapping." Two pallets of freshly coated rails side by side will want to squish together so have to prevent that for the trip. Made it and all is well. Nice rains most the day. Hubby is trying to give away all my plants I've started 😳 I don't understand why I can't keep 88 tomato plants and 3-4 doz pepper plants 😂

This yellow rose was planted by the previous owner of our house who was a family friend. She was the teacher at the 1 room school house in town. It’s HUGE. I’ll have to get pictures of it in daylight. Makes me very sad it’s days are numbered.

@Double R are you using root toner to help root your rose cuttings? After my mom passed it didn't even occur to me to try to get cuttings of her roses, they'd been there more than 30 years most of them. At least you can usually get same named rose to plant of your own at your new place, but it'd be neat to carry that same stock with you.

It was raining after work today so I got my makeshift nesting boxes up. The lumber yard was out of rough sawn cedar for my shutters. With the weather it doesn’t look like I’ll get the blocks under the house concreted for a couple of days.

I like those buckets! I went with removable and washable nest boxes too. I used black plastic flats that sodas came in. I just swap them out and put the old ones outside the pen. The rain cleans them for me.

Did a lot extra today concerning critter feed, short trip over night coming up. I got sweet feed rations poured for the calf and 2 extra tubs of hay. Dad is convinced he can feed the calf while I'm gone. I'm afraid it might be a mistake but I couldn't say no when he offered. So I set extra 6g buckets of water by the corral with a siphon hose, so dad can get a couple small buckets filled if needed. He's not able to lift a 6g bucket of water.

Might post tomorrow from the hotel... gotta get some sleep tonight.

@Double R are you using root toner to help root your rose cuttings? After my mom passed it didn't even occur to me to try to get cuttings of her roses, they'd been there more than 30 years most of them. At least you can usually get same named rose to plant of your own at your new place, but it'd be neat to carry that same stock with you.

Yes ma’am. Rooting hormone and greenhouse domes. Then they are staying in our little green house till rooted and the temps aren’t cold at night. Supposed to be very successful using the greenhouse domes or clear 2 liter pop bottles with the top off and the bottom cut off. We couldn’t get the pop bottles (no one we know drinks pop anymore i guess 🤷🏻‍♀️) without buying them so we got domes to go over each pot instead. Trying this way since my last batch was unsuccessful. That was just rooting hormone alone with no greenhouse Or greenhouse domes. Excited to see if it works. Should be waiting a bit till blooms start falling off but giving it a go anyways. Just nipped off the blooms

I can't remember if we ever grew yellow roses. We had pink ones near our swimming pool in California. My father despised them. I used to eat the petals and loved the smell but didn't like the thorns. My father would cut them trying to kill them but they would grow back stronger.

I'm sore all over and trying to nap but I have indigestion. I need to eat more but I'm too tired to move. LOL.

I don't know how you guys can do all this being active stuff. I'm soo out of shape.

chicken nesting boxes out of buckets is a neat idea. I wish my brain was being more cooperative so I could comment better.

Chores finally finished. Plants watered. Cuttings planted and in the greenhouse. Greenhouse all closed up for the night.
Candled eggs tonight that I put under the broody hen. Not one fertile egg. Disappointed but not surprised. Have seen the rooster doing his thing but must not be fertile anymore I guess. Looked online at ordering chicks and they are ridiculously with all the extra shipping charges etc for only a few chicks. Left the eggs under her for a few more days while I figure out the next plan.

Yes ma’am. Rooting hormone and greenhouse domes. Then they are staying in our little green house till rooted and the temps aren’t cold at night. Supposed to be very successful using the greenhouse domes or clear 2 liter pop bottles with the top off and the bottom cut off. We couldn’t get the pop bottles (no one we know drinks pop anymore i guess 🤷🏻‍♀️) without buying them so we got domes to go over each pot instead. Trying this way since my last batch was unsuccessful. That was just rooting hormone alone with no greenhouse Or greenhouse domes. Excited to see if it works. Should be waiting a bit till blooms start falling off but giving it a go anyways. Just nipped off the blooms
My mom would take a small rosebush cutting, dip it in root starter, stick it in the ground and put a mason jar over it. In a few months she'd take it off and have a successful start! Never worked for me?!

Back