What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bringing little granddaughter to school in a bit, and picking up the neighbor girl for school, too. Little granddaughter has a doc appt late morning, so I'll pick her up for that later and off we go. Will go by mom's afterwards and see how she's doing. Have a few errands to run today. Maybe some shopping, we'll see
Hope your mom is adjusting well! Be safe out there!

Mom was liking the new place her first weekend there. I let her be yesterday....she had PT and the TV guy coming out. Also when they bring her to the dining room three meals a day, with the other 6 residents, it takes her an hr or so to eat and talk. So that's 3 hrs a day there. She is pretty busy.
My aunt and uncle (1700 miles away) moved into assisted living this past fall. They highly urge them to go to the dining room all three meals. At first my aunt didn't like that idea, she has many health/ambulatory issues, my uncle has dementia. Wasn't long before she realized how much it helped him! She has gotten stronger by having to get up, dressed, and ready to go in the mornings. Being busy keeps them healthier! Hope your mom keeps on the right track! Sounds like a good move for her!!

Wife's gone to a baby shower.
I'm sitting here looking at a gloomy cold cloudy day outside .
Looking at the utility room ...needs drywall joints sanded, last mud coat put on. Just can't get into it .

Feeling mighty sluggish today.

Hope wife brings some leftover sammiches , goodies, from the shower.

Watching Wagon Train.

Gonna watch Michigan vs Tennessee game later.
Tonight gotta watch Murray State vs St Peters.

Play with Eli , get his exercise . He's a riot.

Jim
Don't feel bad Jim, it's taken me over a year to change out a tub valve and install a new tub wall liner. Though I have done all the drywall in our home, I really don't like doing it especially ceilings. Getting old kind of slows a person down a bit, I still have a door moldings to take care of and clean out the sun room so we can enjoy it. Big thing I have going on is to get our home ready for my wife's hip operation that's coming up in mid April. I told my wife years ago that if she wanted things done, she has to keep me in good health, so far it seems to be working pretty good.

Off to the doc's soon, then Walmart.
Stopping at thrift store and Dollar Tree, then local hardware for key cut.
Supposed to be big storms this afternoon so hopefully I will be home before they start.

Have a safe trip @Peanut !
Keep us up to date on the storms, be safe!

Took care of animals, and about to cook lunch. Not much else today , my foot and leg hurt too much. I have to stay off it a little bit

we are supposed to get storms tomorrow and also taking animals to the meat processor. It's a new one, hope they do a decent job.
Still have 4 pregnant goats left.
One of the babies from the last one that had hers can't walk. Her back legs are not working. This has happened before and usually a shot of B and Bo Se will fix it in a day, but this one is still not walking. It's sad really, she drags herself to the mom to nurse. I am seriously debating putting her out of her misery :( but I will give it a few more days

Our master bath remodel took an unexpected turn last night when my poor wife got up in the middle of the night to use the restroom and forgot there wasn't any floor in part of the room. Fortunately K is just bumped and bruised, but we may get her foot x-rayed this morning just to be sure. And now I guess I get to join everyone else here grumping about drywall as there's a foot sized hole in the basement ceiling now :( Definitely incentive to get the project done ASAP!

Not leaving today, just talked to the sage of lookout mtn, supposed to be torrential rains on the mtn in the morning. I called and changed my room reservation.

Tonight I'm in a 3/5 danger zone for tornadoes. Most likely won't happen but I shouldn't leave my folks in case it gets bad here. Even if just the power goes off I still need to be here. I'll just stop at the VA tomorrow afternoon as planned then drive to the mtn afterwards.

Going Thursday means we can spend the whole day in the woods instead of a few hours. It's supposed to be cool and sunny. May even stay and extra day.

You're so sweet. What we need is a breeding rooster. You'd think that would be pretty easy but apparently unless you want a fighting rooster (craigslist) good luck. Non of the feed stores are carrying rooster this year.
Have you tried contacting the extension service to see if there is a 4Her who might have one for sale?
Yes ma’am. Rooting hormone and greenhouse domes. Then they are staying in our little green house till rooted and the temps aren’t cold at night. Supposed to be very successful using the greenhouse domes or clear 2 liter pop bottles with the top off and the bottom cut off. We couldn’t get the pop bottles (no one we know drinks pop anymore i guess 🤷🏻‍♀️) without buying them so we got domes to go over each pot instead. Trying this way since my last batch was unsuccessful. That was just rooting hormone alone with no greenhouse Or greenhouse domes. Excited to see if it works. Should be waiting a bit till blooms start falling off but giving it a go anyways. Just nipped off the blooms
Those larger clear vases are usually 50 cents at thrift shops & don't blow over if it's windy :)
Took care of animals, and about to cook lunch. Not much else today , my foot and leg hurt too much. I have to stay off it a little bit

we are supposed to get storms tomorrow and also taking animals to the meat processor. It's a new one, hope they do a decent job.
Still have 4 pregnant goats left.
One of the babies from the last one that had hers can't walk. Her back legs are not working. This has happened before and usually a shot of B and Bo Se will fix it in a day, but this one is still not walking. It's sad really, she drags herself to the mom to nurse. I am seriously debating putting her out of her misery :( but I will give it a few more days
First thing that popped into my head was white muscle. It's been so long I had to look up what else besides Bo-Se - will attach article though you probably already know these things. Hope the little bugger pulls through.
https://aces.nmsu.edu/newmexicosheep/whitemuscledisease.html@viking Good to see you - you've either been quiet or we've been hangin' out in different threads.
@Peanut Probably better to be safe than sorry as the saying goes.
@snappy1 Again - keep yourself safe.

So Alexandra bought this little safe like you see in a hotel a few months back. The screen went out of it and she had been trying to get in it for a couple weeks watching YouTube videos and such. The kids birthday is coming up Friday and I had the money I had saved in that little safe to buy him a gun safe. Ironically I had to bust open a safe to buy a safe.

95F8B265-B258-45B5-93BD-A12DB514E25C.jpeg
3D23C8D3-0AEE-4B38-986F-51BFAA38962B.jpeg
8E1F7399-DA4A-4DF8-A343-EC8AB6A58966.jpeg
A1F91FFF-14E8-4337-B31D-4462FA0F06A6.jpeg

So Alexandra bought this little safe like you see in a hotel a few months back. The screen went out of it and she had been trying to get in it for a couple weeks watching YouTube videos and such. The kids birthday is coming up Friday and I had the money I had saved in that little safe to buy him a gun safe. Ironically I had to bust open a safe to buy a safe.

View attachment 82911View attachment 82912View attachment 82913View attachment 82914

Reminds me...
Work smart , not hard.

Jim

I called my dentist's office and they said they had been trying to call me on my landline to tell me they needed to reschedule after the storms pass. Said they didn't want anyone driving up there with this weather and they would call me back later on my cellphone. I had to turn my cellphone ringer back on. I had 44 missed calls since I turned the ringer off. LOL. I hate answering the phone.

I grew up on a farm for the most part and I fed chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys, goats, pigs, horses, and my cow. I would do cleanup too. I had a ton of energy as a kid. Moved overseas just before I turned 16 though. Had an appendectomy & struggled with my health for awhile. Then got in to weightlifting and martial arts. Got a job at a zoo. Then transferred again to another tropical island. Went to college and was doing fine until I got really suck my Jr year. I was one class away from graduating when I got so sick I could barely get out of bed for month. Never got my full energy back after that. Was sick 3 weeks a month every month for the next few years.

I've slowly been trying to build up my stamina but I crash if I exert myself too much. Today is a bit of a crash day. I slept until almost noon.

I want to do laundry but am worried I'll lose power while doing it.

I'm currently sitting here listening to the rain and thunder. Puppies are on my floor whining. They are afraid to climb up on the bed because of all the cats. Cats are stretched out napping. A loud crack just got Rupert to look up briefly but he's gone back to grooming himself while leaning against me. I just took my meds so I have to wait an hour to eat. Hoping power will stay on for cooking.

The guys in town said we can expect 10" of rain from this storm.

HB, glad you were able to get the $ out of that safe.

Lady Banks rose cutting in its little personal greenhouse dome. Already getting nice and humid in there.
View attachment 82901
Not an expert so take with a grain of salt.

I believe too much leaf structure without roots to support the demands of the leaf is bad. I would cut off all leaves save one and maybe cut that in half.

Are you ensuring there is a node at the bottom? The nodes have the hormones required to produce roots.

I have used larger zip lock bags over the pots instead of the domes.

Just my 2 cents

Ben

View attachment 82911View attachment 82912View attachment 82913View attachment 82914
So now he is a safe cracker too!

When I got our big safe, I insisted on an old school mechanical lock to ensure we could always get into it.

Ben

Mom was liking the new place her first weekend there. I let her be yesterday....she had PT and the TV guy coming out. Also when they bring her to the dining room three meals a day, with the other 6 residents, it takes her an hr or so to eat and talk. So that's 3 hrs a day there. She is pretty busy.
The last time I saw my mother alive was in the hospital. I had a hard time going to hospitals after that. The same was true for nursing homes. I went to visit a great aunt in a nursing home
I called my dentist's office and they said they had been trying to call me on my landline to tell me they needed to reschedule after the storms pass. Said they didn't want anyone driving up there with this weather and they would call me back later on my cellphone. I had to turn my cellphone ringer back on. I had 44 missed calls since I turned the ringer off. LOL. I hate answering the phone.

I grew up on a farm for the most part and I fed chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys, goats, pigs, horses, and my cow. I would do cleanup too. I had a ton of energy as a kid. Moved overseas just before I turned 16 though. Had an appendectomy & struggled with my health for awhile. Then got in to weightlifting and martial arts. Got a job at a zoo. Then transferred again to another tropical island. Went to college and was doing fine until I got really suck my Jr year. I was one class away from graduating when I got so sick I could barely get out of bed for month. Never got my full energy back after that. Was sick 3 weeks a month every month for the next few years.

I've slowly been trying to build up my stamina but I crash if I exert myself too much. Today is a bit of a crash day. I slept until almost noon.

I want to do laundry but am worried I'll lose power while doing it.

I'm currently sitting here listening to the rain and thunder. Puppies are on my floor whining. They are afraid to climb up on the bed because of all the cats. Cats are stretched out napping. A loud crack just got Rupert to look up briefly but he's gone back to grooming himself while leaning against me. I just took my meds so I have to wait an hour to eat. Hoping power will stay on for cooking.

The guys in town said we can expect 10" of rain from this storm.

HB, glad you were able to get the $ out of that safe.
Have you ever had a diagnosis for your health issues? I'm wondering if you have CFS? From the sound of what you described, it matches up with symptoms. @Peanut might be able to give you some direction for your health.

Volunteered to scan files at a government entity this morning. Both “Scanned Files” baskets were full and over flowing when I arrived. Guess I’ll file instead! When I finally located the correct file cabinet I understand why the baskets were full. File folders stacked on top of each other. Unlabeled folders. I spent the morning organizing their files Instead of scanning.

Hone the way home stopped and got my ears lowered.

Fixed a ham and cheese sandwich for a late lunch. Went premium on the sandwich by warming it up in the microwave.

Prep for tonight’s Board meeting.

Practice the music for the Easter‘s day choir. Music Director reminded us at the last rehearsal that rehearsals are not the time for practicing. I’m think MD is realizing why the church doesn’t have a choir, no talent. I sing what ever the person beside me sings. If I have person on both sides of me and the both singing different I sing a mixture of the two!

Yes. I have CFS. I also have hypothyroid. I'm on meds for it but the pharmacy keeps changing the brand on me and some generics are not as effective. I'm on the good stuff right now (purple pill) but they replaced it with a new generic (I have one more of the purple pill and then have to take the new stuff). Every time it changes I have some side effects and react differently. The white pills didn't work as well and gave me muscle spasms near my eye (purple initially did that the first few month but no longer does). We'll see what the new stuff is. Came in blister packaging. I hate blister packaging-- cut my thumb on it before.
I generally dump it in to the RX bottle to make it easier to deal with.

I'm hoping this new generic works ok. If not, I will have to ask my doctor to make a note to only give the purple stuff.

Last place I saw a few of my elderly friends was the nursing home before they died. I hated going there-- mostly because the staff didn't seem to give two craps about the patients. I would rather be put down than have to go to the places around here. They really neglect the patients. Although, he doctor they suspected was deliberately killing patients has since died. Friend of mine went in with a leg ache, came out comatose. One of the nurses said that any patient from the nursing home who saw that particular doctor even for something minor would be sent back comatose and die.

I'm about to get something to eat. Trying to figure out if I want pork chops or liver. I'll have to clean the fridge up later. Brother spilled teriyaki sauce all over and doesn't believe in picking up a paper towel and cleaning his own messes.

When I got our big safe, I insisted on an old school mechanical lock to ensure we could always get into it.

Ben
Us too - our safe is actually a 6' jeweler's safe. It was free if we moved it. So we moved it and paid a couple hundred to have the combo reset. Was just at my folks Fri. and they couldn't get into their safe - the battery was dead.

Awe, I'm sorry @sonya123 I hope the little one gets better. :(

Finished proofreading my research paper on the Exodus and uploaded it. I made a thread in the Library, anyone interested can download the PDF attachment there. It's long, but if you like Bible Studies and particularly like Joseph's story and the Exodus then my research paper might just be up your alley.

Going to eat dinner in a little while. And then might work on some more writing. Not sure if I want to do more non-fiction or write some fantasy, though. :-/

@TeeJ - That would be absolutely terrifying! Glad she's okay. One time I rearranged my room and forget I had done so and when I got up in the middle of the night, I ran into the wall and couldn't find the door. Had an absolute panic attack and was banging the wall saying 'Where's the door?! Where's the door!" I had to try and calm myself down and after a bit I remember I rearranged and it was on the other-side of the room.

@UrbanHunter - I've seen electronic safe's like those that also come with keys in case the electronics break down. So some of them do have the back up plan, as long as you don't lose the key, of course. <.< >.> Not talking form personal experience or anything, though. 😶

Our master bath remodel took an unexpected turn last night when my poor wife got up in the middle of the night to use the restroom and forgot there wasn't any floor in part of the room. Fortunately K is just bumped and bruised, but we may get her foot x-rayed this morning just to be sure. And now I guess I get to join everyone else here grumping about drywall as there's a foot sized hole in the basement ceiling now :( Definitely incentive to get the project done ASAP!
So sorry to hear this! Glad it’s just bumps and bruises but still. Sending healing prayers!

Have you tried contacting the extension service to see if there is a 4Her who might have one for sale?

Those larger clear vases are usually 50 cents at thrift shops & don't blow over if it's windy :)
Thrift shop vase’s are $2 plus a piece depending on which thrift store I go to. Our thrift stores have gotten ridiculous on pricing. Especially on good stuff. They think online eBay prices are a good gauge of prices to put on items. Guess that’s why they all keep going out of business the last few years. No one really goes anymore since thinking the higher prices are best. But I will keep an eye out anyways. Great idea! Hadn’t thought about vases for this application. Yard sale season is coming up 🤔

I haven’t contacted the extension office in years. They were never any help. Maybe I’ll try again or talk to the Ag department at the school in town. Great idea! Thanks

Not an expert so take with a grain of salt.

I believe too much leaf structure without roots to support the demands of the leaf is bad. I would cut off all leaves save one and maybe cut that in half.

Are you ensuring there is a node at the bottom? The nodes have the hormones required to produce roots.

I have used larger zip lock bags over the pots instead of the domes.

Just my 2 cents

Ben

I will trim a bit more leaves off some of the cuttings. A few have no leaves. Maybe I should replace those? It was hard to get any leaves on most of them. Should have probably cut more limbs to get better cuttings. I remember now reading that a set of leaves helps. As far as the nodes I believe they all have them. The video I watched that I was going off of the roses had thorns and where he popped the thorns off rooted. Makes sense now. Thanks a bunch!

Ben

I wont ever have another one that isn't mechanical as well. The little safe was tougher than I figured, I had to hit it pretty damn hard to bend it enough to get the contents out.

Back