What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I left Colorado early yesterday afternoon and got home around 4:00 this morning. I was totally shot after that ride and fell asleep in my recliner. Woke up about 11AM and haven't done a damn thing yet. I'm having a hard time recovering from those long trips. Road life is wearing me down. I put in for a transfer to a gang that is supposed to work across Southern Minnesota for the rest of the year. It would never be more than 3 1/2 hours from home. I can live with that...

I left Colorado early yesterday afternoon and got home around 4:00 this morning. I was totally shot after that ride and fell asleep in my recliner. Woke up about 11AM and haven't done a damn thing yet. I'm having a hard time recovering from those long trips. Road life is wearing me down. I put in for a transfer to a gang that is supposed to work across Southern Minnesota for the rest of the year. It would never be more than 3 1/2 hours from home. I can live with that...
Hope that works out for you!!

That is the problem. I generally delay going as long as possible. But the pain is getting to the point that it's hard to ignore any more, or hide from the wife. The thing is, the work doesn't get done by itself around here.
Sorry to hear that MT, joint pain is terrible.
My hubs has a lot of joint pain as well, we started having him take collagen (primal harvest) and also glucosamine chondroitin + MSM (not sure if we had talked about that before). These are some great OTC remedies to help with that. He can usually keep going until 4 pm where he had to quit around noon before. He's a stubborn dude and will refuse to see a surgeon to get his shoulder replaced.

We've started a new tradition in our family where Sunday night is family night.
Our son got us all tickets to see the baseball game in town last night (nosebleed bleachers) - and it was super fun. It was the last homegame of the season and there was a fireworks show afterwards.
The boys got beers from the local brewery and we ate peanuts and hot dogs. It was a great time!
Today hubs just finished up the holes using the auger, so he has to load that up to take down to the bobcat place. He's putting the wine rack together in the root cellar now so I can get the wine put away.
Tomorrow night my friend is having a party for me for my birthday with our group. Should be a good time.

We've started a new tradition in our family where Sunday night is family night.
Our son got us all tickets to see the baseball game in town last night (nosebleed bleachers) - and it was super fun. It was the last homegame of the season and there was a fireworks show afterwards.
The boys got beers from the local brewery and we ate peanuts and hot dogs. It was a great time!
Today hubs just finished up the holes using the auger, so he has to load that up to take down to the bobcat place. He's putting the wine rack together in the root cellar now so I can get the wine put away.
Tomorrow night my friend is having a party for me for my birthday with our group. Should be a good time.
Happy Birthday, hope you have a great time tomorrow night!

I’m whooped! Cooked up 3 different meats, enough for 3 quiche and some leftovers. Juiced and jarred a pint of elderberry juice. Saved some of the elderberries to dehydrate. Made/canned 16 pints of tomato sauce. Kitchen is a wreck even though I have all the dishes done- jars of stuff everywhere.
Heard from Hubby who is hunting in MT at the moment. He hadn’t seen anything which is odd for where he is. This morning he came across a calf (elk) kill. In trying to discover what kind of kill it was he said he saw the biggest pile of scat he’s ever seen, then he heard a tree break about two hundred yards off. Wind was in his favor so he skidaddled. (Grizzly). He went to a different area/direction from camp. All that to say he’s still a vegetarian 😂

scary @LadyLocust !
@DrJenner happy birthday and family night is a great idea. Used to have it around here. Very cool your kids are older and still wanting to do something like that.
Glad your mom was able to take that drink @Amish Heart
So even though it was a day off and I had plans, see the thermometer...it was 100° today and I decided to mostly stay home and inside and not spend money I really can't afford to spend on stuff at the big toolbox. Went instead to a garden store and bought some half price plants, some herbs and vegetables. I've never grown swiss chard before, so we'll so how that rolls.
Got some seeds planted in pots, other herbs and greens.
Have been watching a special on PBS from the internet not on regular tv, about Northern Ireland during the 1960s-present day and what happened. What happened, it was another one of those things happening across the Atlantic but do I need to be scared? I was a little kid.
The newspapers would be taken to the basement at my childhood home, to stack up for something...and that's where I'd learn about the world...in the basement feeling like a bad kid for catching up on the front page news which as you'll remember used to be national and international and local stuff too.

Didn't do much of anything. Some mild cleaning. Mom actually liked the food from last night so much she finished off the leftovers this morning. I made my version of shepherd's pie. Went to Walmart to pick up RX and get some lunchmeat. Spotted my friend some gas. Brought a toy over for his new puppy. It's almost as big as the puppy. LOL. Visited with my friend for a bit. He and his fiance (who I also consider a friend-- she's like a little sister to me) were in good spirits.

Tomorrow I should give the dogs baths if my body and energy levels are up to it.

Ordered RAM for my computer since it went on sale. The video card I initially wanted sold out & then went way up in price. Then I found a better one but it was $500. Found another one that was slightly better and it went on sale for labor day. So instead of a Gigabyte RTX 3060 Eagle OC 12Gb video card I'm getting an MSI RTX 4060 Ti Ventus OC 16gb (2x fans instead of 3x). The 3 fan version won't fit in my case according to pcpartspicker. Now all I need is the processor. I keep hoping it will go down in price. I've droplisted it on Honey (an app that does price comparisons & finds coupons).

I went to a farmers market this morning. Actually 2 in different towns. Was able to buy pork fat at one. Got home and finished prepping pears and canned 12 pints and made a pear crisp. May start cutting pork fat up to render into lard. I have beef fat to do as well. Massive fire about 45 miles south. Wind changed and humidity rose so now 20 percent contained
Looks like @txcatlady hasn't been here since last Saturday night. I don't know how close she was to the fires as they continued to spread but hoping everything is okay otherwise. Over 3,000 acres were affected from that "one" fire.

One of the perks with Honey is it can alert me to extra discounts for things like using Paypal. The video card I wanted was cheaper at Newegg (thanks to Honey for that alert) and I got an additional $50.50 credit to the Paypal account for using it with the Honey app. Now all I need is some good thermal paste (found some non-metallic stuff with 18w/mk for heat conductivity. I don't know what that stands for other than watts something but I understand that the higher the number is better. The metallic kind can have 70+ but are harder to use & if you get them on other computer components it can ruin things. Many will also corrode aluminium.

I'm hungry but just took my thyroid meds and have to wait 30min to eat.

Happy birthday DrJenner!

Patchouli: swiss chard seems to be really easy to grow, I grow some every year from seed

Today I dread calling the meat processor and seeing what can be done about getting our animals butchered. Everything is hanging up on that. If we can't get them done soon, some will need to go to the auction. I hope the guy is there to tell me something, and I hope he doesn't just tell me " I don't know yet" because the auction truck is leaving Saturday ( to the big auction) . If not we have to sell them at the local one which gets much lower prices.

Also thinking about what to do about one pasture that just looks like crap. I want to plow it up and sow rye grass over winter and then reseed with pasture grass next spring but we don't have a tiller. That again.... ( last year we bought one at RK straight from China that could not be put together, so after a lot of hassle we returned it). We've been renting a hand tiller for the garden but thats really not large enough for the pasture unless we just do a little section at a time
Sometimes I really hate not having the right equipment

Staying out of the heat today, yesterday while fishing with my GS I was in direct sunlight and it was a hot day so that didn't settle well.

Good morning! Found out I can take tylenol- sparingly. Really want to get the lithotripsy done Thursday on the 8mm stone!
Walked first and then fed and walked dogs.
Next, will can some tomatoes. Small batch.
Thaw jalapenos to can tomorrow. Trying to whittle down chest freezer.
Make a few business calls.
That's enough.

Happy Birthday @DrJenner ! Hope you have a great day!

Maybe I will try Swiss Chard @Patchouli . After this drought is over. Only 1/2" rain since the beginning of June. @Wingnut has probably had more than that!

Last edited:
Snappy, I hope the stone removal will go well. Kidney stones suck so much!
Not doing much today. Still feeling tired. I need to search for some computer part stuff I know I have in my room somewhere. Will need a flashlight though.

I ordered some highly rated thermal paste for when I get the processor ordered.

Regular morning stuff today...driver for little granddaughter to school, and neighbor girl to the amish school. Animal and garden chores. Took husband to two doc appts and to the lab for his lab work. Came home and cooked the rest of the pumpkins I picked. Some of it went to the freezer, and some to the freeze dryer.

Walked first this morning.
Walked dogs.
Next is ebay photos for DH.
Peanut Butter will get a bath.
I have some frozen okra to thaw and bread to fry-then re-freeze.
That will be it. Only got 4 hours and 15 minutes sleep.

I won't be on the board in the morning as I have to be at hospital at 7:30 for the lithotripsy. Please say a prayer.

Praying for it to go well tomorrow, and a speedy recovery, Snappy!!!! I hope you have a good supper before you can't eat anymore at a certain time.
Morning chores, then went bin shopping in the bigger town. It's been a very long time since I've done that. Some real good deals, it was $1.99 day. Was pleased with the real big jugs of liquid soap refill they had, and the feminine hygene products (name brand). Our girls cleared us out last time they all visited...all at once. Going into our little town in a bit to pick up another bushel of peaches, and to our hardware store to get a tool to push the screen back into our screen door. The kittens have pushed it out.

Latest posts

Back