The Ladies

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you know what's really awkward? And I mean REALLY awkward? Getting a text from the former lady asking if we can get together for coffee this week so we can "talk some things out". Before I can respond she suggests... Wednesday afternoon. Ugh... I reply that Wednesday does not work for me and I suggest Thursday. After a pause she asks what I have going on Wednesday.

Now this is where my brain tells me to say 'I have a date!', which will make it far less likely that we ever get together for coffee and dissect our relationship - aka I find out everything I did wrong so she can walk away feeling vindicated or somehow free of any blame. Then another part of that same brain thinks just say 'I am just busy' and find a different day/time so she can have her closure and we can both just move on. These things should just not be this hard and are a good reminder why catch and release is a whole lot better than having to keep, clean, store and prepare that fish.

Anyway I was not near my laptop to seek guidance so I ended up just replying that I was "just busy" and asked if a different day worked. But no, not good enough. "What are you doing on Wednesday that you can't get out of?" She clearly knows my schedule and my habits. "You are always free on Wednesday". So I hit her back with "I am fighting a bear over a picnic basket, does Thursday work?". Still not good enough. Still wants to know why I can't make Wednesday work. 15+ texts later I eventually just said "Seems like we won't be getting together any time soon, maybe we can try again down the road a few weeks". To which she replies "Just forget it".

So I am thinking okay, I escaped that situation. Sweet. Then just a little bit ago I get "Are you seeing someone else already?" I didn't respond. I haven't responded. Not sure I am even going to respond.
I would vary your routine for a few weeks just to be safe rather than sorry.

Chapter 5. The 2nd Date. Or maybe third?

Fine dining.

I picked up the rebound lady in very similar fashion to our first date, only I was dressed much nicer and clueless as to what the day would hold for us. She did sort of surprise me on two counts. First in a pre-date text she asked if I wanted to drive to the event or just drive to her place and then we could take her car. Second, no matter how well dressed and debonair I was feeling in the moment, I instantly felt very under-dressed in comparison to her. I was half expecting a red carpet to magically roll out and photographers to pop up everywhere as she walked out. Her hair was up, she was wearing a black slinky dress and just enough silver and diamond jewelry to notice but not take away from her natural beauty. My suit suddenly felt like a pair of denim overalls. She didn’t agree with that thought. For the record we did end up taking my car.

We pulled up at a very nice-looking place and my Dodge Challenger was swiftly driven away by a valet. Have to say I am not a fan of that and I quickly developed vehicular separation anxiety. She sensed this and said, “That’s why I thought you might prefer taking my car”. Turned out that phase one of the date was to attend a charity event to promote literacy in young, impoverished children and supporting the educational goals of the underprivileged. I think I got that right. The event began with a guided wine tasting combined with a guided chocolate sampling. The wines were mostly American, and the chocolates were mostly European. As each sommelier and chocolatier would come to our table they would talk about the product and then offer some facts and information about literacy and educational topics. “We can do so much with your generous gift” was repeated many times over. Eventually the fund raisers came around and the lady committed to an additional $500 donation on top of whatever the tickets to this event cost. And something tells me those tickets were not inexpensive.

We each selected a glass of wine and watched/listened as a few different musicians played and a few fancy people got up and gave mini speeches about the charity and praised the largest donors. At one point she put her hand on my arm and said, “I committed to attend before I knew you, thank you for being a good sport”. Then she added “This would have been very awkward for me without a date”. As it turns out her daughter was supposed to attend with her, but then something changed. In fact, I am pretty sure this entire night was supposed to be a mother-daughter outing.

If you ever want to suddenly find yourself thrust out of your normal social class, attend one of these events. The lady was quite beautiful, and I enjoyed spending the time with her, but I was clearly out of my element. I have been to events like this before, but always as an employee providing protection standing off to side with my eyes on every potential threat. I have no experience as a guest or actual attendee. And did you know people sip the wine then spit it back out? That was just weird. I didn’t do that, I took very small sips instead. I didn’t really know what I was doing, tasting, detecting or grading anyway.

Once outside my car was returned to me. I used a lot of internal fortitude to resist going through the trunk and my GHB. Instead, I helped the lady inside and asked where we were going next. I punched the info into the GPS and we sped off. During the drive she talked about Date #1 and how much fun she had. She told me I was “refreshingly authentic” as she often socializes with people who always seem to be a little less than genuine. She asked me more about my recent, freshly ended relationship and I had little choice but to be transparent. She told me she feels sorry for her, and that unrequited love is a very unpleasant thing to experience. Then she said, “At the same time, her loss is my gain” and grinned. It was a sort of happy but not happy grin at the same time. I think she really just wanted to make sure there was no overlap, or maybe she wanted to make sure I wasn’t seeing multiple people at the same time. I just ended the topic with “That’s behind me now.”

We arrived at the ‘restaurant’ and once again my car was taken from me and transported to be parked elsewhere. This place seemed a little more upscale and a little more exclusive. I would also imagine it rates high for fine dining in the city. During the check in process I learned that they only take reservations well in advance, all meals and tips must be prepaid when you make your reservation, there are no refunds and you are going to eat whatever they provide you. Beverages also must be preselected with wines and beers paired to the menu. And the place only had 17 chairs. Seriously, only 17 people can eat here each night and the meal took over 3 hours to cook, serve and eat.

As soon as we were seated and our drinks served, the lady said, “Just so you know this is not a normal thing for me, this was a special night out.” A minute later she added “And it still is, the only thing that changed was my date.” We may have gone out for dinner, but I would not describe this as dinner. I would describe this as a live narrated cooking show with active audience engagement. I am not going to go into a lot of detail on this, but the main dish was “venison, morel & fig”. The food was surprisingly good. The portions were small but each course added to the completeness of the meal. I was definitely not hungry afterwards.

When my first michelin star experience was over and my car returned to me, we proceeded to her apt/condo. This time I was invited inside. Unfortunately, that did not mean what I hoped it did. We did not go to the residence portion of this complex, we went to one of the large rooftop patios with comfortable furniture, marble looking fire tables and impressive views of the city. We sat together under the stars and talked about the night’s events and how I perceived the experience. I was honest but sensitive and exuded as much charm as I could in the process. We talked a bit about “us”. She expressed some fears and anticipations, talked about her being divorced and me being freshly out of a relationship. She reiterated that she did not desire to be remarried or be “someone’s rebound”. That one hit me and was inscribed into the memory banks. She also talked about how much fun she has been having and how comfortable she feels around me. She added “It’s been a week, but it feels so much longer” and “I have had to hold myself back, I do not want to go too far too fast.” She asked and thanked me for my patience at the same time. I just told her she was more than worth the wait and it was important for things to develop naturally. We sat together and took in the view, holding hands and occasionally kissing. Things would start to heat up and we would go back to the scenery. This went on for some time. Eventually it got late and I walked her to her actual door, we kissed, and she went inside. I made the long walk back to my car and drove home.

No text message this time but, also no opera. Fortunately.

Ok, you are not going to like what I am going to say but here it is: LOL I think I liked your ex better....

Why? The new woman seems to enjoy the kind of stuff my parents did, and I always disliked it. I don't like pretentious do gooders with keeping up with the high class attitudes going to Michelin star restaurants type people at all. I was dragged to more Michelin star restaurants as a kid having to me disgusting food put in front of me than a care to remember and enjoyed being at my ('very poor) aunts farm eating stuff she produced herself better. ( might explain that I dislike most seafood and undercooked bloody meats, no fungus either)
I don't see this working out for you . She is not your type

There I said it....might be wrong but keep us updated , want to read the next chapter in this soap!

( for the record my parents grew up really poor and during and after WWII in Germany but my dad made a lot of money with a business later)

👍 She's financially secure and true to herself! She doesn't want to move to fast, she made that decision and isn't carelessly going back on her word to herself! She's not looking for a relationship or wanting to be someone's rebound! Sounds like she has a good head on her shoulders! And she likes you!! I think Hooch is right 😉🙁!

So you let a little slip, about your ability to develop some sort of attachment. (Automotive anxiety) And she is kind of keeping her actual how she makes a buck, dental hygienist don't have extra money to spend like that, maybe she owns a dental office or franchise (not dissing her at all, but some stuff missing here, kind of expect that you had that figured out but....) It is possible to develope a caring relationship and still not turn into an emotional pile of muck, but it does require emotional awareness. (only makes sense to PTSD resistant people maybe )

Ok, you are not going to like what I am going to say but here it is: LOL I think I liked your ex better....

Why? The new woman seems to enjoy the kind of stuff my parents did, and I always disliked it. I don't like pretentious do gooders with keeping up with the high class attitudes going to Michelin star restaurants type people at all. I was dragged to more Michelin star restaurants as a kid having to me disgusting food put in front of me than a care to remember and enjoyed being at my ('very poor) aunts farm eating stuff she produced herself better. ( might explain that I dislike most seafood and undercooked bloody meats, no fungus either)
I don't see this working out for you . She is not your type

There I said it....might be wrong but keep us updated , want to read the next chapter in this soap!

( for the record my parents grew up really poor and during and after WWII in Germany but my dad made a lot of money with a business later)
Right there with you...the ex was way better....!

So you let a little slip, about your ability to develop some sort of attachment. (Automotive anxiety) And she is kind of keeping her actual how she makes a buck, dental hygienist don't have extra money to spend like that, maybe she owns a dental office or franchise (not dissing her at all, but some stuff missing here, kind of expect that you had that figured out but....) It is possible to develope a caring relationship and still not turn into an emotional pile of muck, but it does require emotional awareness. (only makes sense to PTSD resistant people maybe )
wait WHAT? She is a dental hygenist? I must have missed that part. How can she afford all that? If she can't afford it, that's another bad thing then ( spending money you don't have)

The lady gave you a guided tour of the zoo so that was a regular outing for her. She would have been embarrassed to go to the wine tasting alone which suggests, to me, that she knows other people there.

Why? The new woman seems to enjoy the kind of stuff my parents did, and I always disliked it. I don't like pretentious do gooders with keeping up with the high class attitudes going to Michelin star restaurants type people at all.

I feel like she can exist in both worlds, all the worlds maybe? I took her to a Zoo and she was over the top joyful. I think it cost me $50 for 2 tickets. But it seems she has also been exposed or maybe lives in higher class world too. Need more time with her to figure it all out.

So here's the low down. Met husband in dental school, she dropped out and became a hygienist and a mother while he graduated. They opened a practice together as partners. Sounds like some family money may have been in play on both sides. Then they opened another, and another, and... she did not say how many in all and I did not ask. During the divorce, which took like almost 2 years, the assets were divided and he opted to buy her out. She opened a new practice partnering with a female dentist that was a former employee. That's as much as I have.

I feel like she can exist in both worlds, all the worlds maybe? I took her to a Zoo and she was over the top joyful. I think it cost me $50 for 2 tickets. But it seems she has also been exposed or maybe lives in higher class world too. Need more time with her to figure it all out.

So here's the low down. Met husband in dental school, she dropped out and became a hygienist and a mother while he graduated. They opened a practice together as partners. Sounds like some family money may have been in play on both sides. Then they opened another, and another, and... she did not say how many in all and I did not ask. During the divorce, which took like almost 2 years, the assets were divided and he opted to buy her out. She opened a new practice partnering with a female dentist that was a former employee. That's as much as I have.
Very cool, you know how to read people, kind of obvious, you are still functioning in your line of work. just had to be Captain Obvious

A grand evening with new experiences!
What's not to like?
... a new intriguing and beautiful person to get to know who is :
Financially secure
Has boundries
Is adventurous and fun..from a zoo visit to high class dining
I wonder where they sorced the morels? Maybe they were grown and not wild sourced.
Did they say? How did they cook them?
Anyways..
I still think she could potentially be a nice lady friend
Neither are looking for long term or serious..

She has a life ..and is not wrapping her ability to be secure and happy around his world .

I'd say getting to know her better might be fun and worthwhile...if not..move on..simple

Very cool, you know how to read people, kind of obvious, you are still functioning in your line of work. just had to be Captain Obvious

Makes sense. I didn't know as much about that until yesterday. She's lives in an apartment with her daughter, while it's a really nice place apartment living doesn't shout high-society or wealth to me. He car is really nice but I see nice cars everywhere here.

The lady gave you a guided tour of the zoo so that was a regular outing for her. She would have been embarrassed to go to the wine tasting alone which suggests, to me, that she knows other people there.

No one came up to her/us and did the whole 'how are you' thing and she never did that to anyone else. Might have been more of a 'there was a chance' she would run into someone but didn't sort of thing. She did seem to look around at the tables to see who was there. Apparently this was just one of several identical events for the same charity.

A grand evening with new experiences!
What's not to like?
... a new intriguing and beautiful person to get to know who is :
Financially secure
Has boundries
Is adventurous and fun..from a zoo visit to high class dining
I wonder where they sorced the morels? Maybe they were grown and not wild sourced.
Did they say? How did they cook them?
Anyways..
I still think she could potentially be a nice lady friend
Neither are looking for long term or serious..

She has a life ..and is not wrapping her ability to be secure and happy around his world .

I'd say getting to know her better might be fun and worthwhile...if not..move on..simple

I didn't know what a morel was until I bit into it. Spongey mushroom is a better name. They seemed to be part of a sauce that was drizzled over the venison but there were also some full size possibly sautéed morels too. That was several courses in and by that time I will admit I was glad we were getting toward the end.

It was a fun adventure over all though, just different. She was very attentive to me throughout the night and seemed to be very concerned with how comfortable I was at all times. This is just such a different thing for me that I continue to wonder what's next. I am looking forward to the next chapter.

We have another date set up for Wednesday, but it can't run late as she has to go in to her office on Thursday. I think she only goes in like 2-3 days a week.

Those mushroom grow in my area around springtime. They are highly prized and people can make thousands if all they are doing is selling them to restaurants or buyers.
Personally..I think they are best beer battered and fried...
Soak them in salt water for a few to get rid of any buggies that might be hanging out..
Rinse, slice slather in beer batter mix..fry then dip in a touch of ranch..

It's redneck fine dining ..lol

I'm glad you had fun..
New people & experiences to look forward to is never a downer..

We just got off the phone. It was mostly a talk about nothing call but she did ask again if I had fun. I used Hooch's line: new experiences, what's not to like? She confirmed our Wednesday meet up and said it would probably be limited to just dinner and maybe a walk or something. This screamed 'not date number three' to me, which is fine. I wasn't joking when I said things should happen naturally. She also asked if she should reserve Saturday as well. I told her of course and that I would bring her more into my world, jokingly suggesting we could cook up some squirrel in a Walmart cart next to a singe wide trailer on bricks. She laughed and said that would be just fine with her only to make her squirrel "extra crispy".

Thinking I should send her some flowers Monday or Tuesday? Good idea or too soon? I have never sent or bought flowers in my life so I have some research to do.

YES on the flowers!! Always a nice surprise I'm thinking of you thing! Something small, simple, all flowers are stupidly expensive!
Not at Wal-Mart if they are fresh, just got the wife a dozen of the most beautiful fire roses for 15.00, then stopped at Dollar Tree and picked up a vase. I am frugal, just nearly kills me to pay a 125.00 from flowers from the florist. My wife is worth it but I guess I am cheap.

1722200237739.png

That date event: I know a few people that attend those types of events upon invitation because of business connections not necessarily personal wealth. She may have felt it was something she had to attend and brought you along as her sidekick/safe place.

Latest posts

Back